The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If You Could Take The Full Catalog Of Only 10 Artists/Bands To A Desert island, Which 10 Would You Pick?

+12
Sevenoneself
Kerrick
Staybrite
TZ75
Opeth3232
Black Rider
Superjuice
scottmitchell74
seth
MagnusPrime
Pethead
Constantine
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If You Could Take The Full Catalog Of Only 10 Artists/Bands To A Desert island, Which 10 Would You Pick? Empty If You Could Take The Full Catalog Of Only 10 Artists/Bands To A Desert island, Which 10 Would You Pick?

Post by Constantine Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:04 pm

Non-Christian / Secular Band / Artist Edition:

If You Could Take The Full Catalog Of Only 10 Artists/Bands To A Desert island, Which Ones Would You Pick?

I realize our choices could change tomorrow, but as of now, which full catalogs would you choose?  

*I posted a Christian edition on a separate thread, so you can vote there too.

I need to work on my list, haven't figured it out yet.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

If You Could Take The Full Catalog Of Only 10 Artists/Bands To A Desert island, Which 10 Would You Pick? Empty Re: If You Could Take The Full Catalog Of Only 10 Artists/Bands To A Desert island, Which 10 Would You Pick?

Post by Pethead Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:39 pm

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Testament
Overkill
Rush
Van Halen
Megadeth 
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Metal Church
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, TZ75, Constantine, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

If You Could Take The Full Catalog Of Only 10 Artists/Bands To A Desert island, Which 10 Would You Pick? Empty Re: If You Could Take The Full Catalog Of Only 10 Artists/Bands To A Desert island, Which 10 Would You Pick?

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:46 pm

Even though none of my choices' discographies are perfect...and this is a REALLY tough question, but here goes...

Metallica
Galactic Cowboys
Megadeth
Gentle Giant
Robert & Dean DeLeo catalog (Stone Temple Pilots, Talk Show, etc.)
The Beatles
King's X
Neal Morse's entire catalog (including his Spock's Beard stuff)
Judas Priest
Testament

Don't tell anybody, but I'm gonna smuggle Mike Patton's (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle) catalog and maybe 311 onto the island as well.  Twisted Evil
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, TZ75, Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:52 pm

I almost put Metallica because of their classics but, man, I guess I could use the rest as drink coasters on my tropical retreat.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, Constantine, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:02 pm

Avantasia
Wintersun
Impellitteri
Savatage
Far Beyond
Pink Floyd
Jupiter VI
(Beyond that I really only listen to a few songs from other secular artists)
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:03 pm

Pethead wrote:I almost put Metallica because of their classics but, man, I guess I could use the rest as drink coasters on my tropical retreat.
I dunno, I think the drinks would fall over just to get away from the coasters 🤮
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Sevenoneself and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:04 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:Even though none of my choices' discographies are perfect...and this is a REALLY tough question, but here goes...

Metallica
Galactic Cowboys
Megadeth
Gentle Giant
Robert & Dean DeLeo catalog (Stone Temple Pilots, Talk Show, etc.)
The Beatles
King's X
Neal Morse's entire catalog (including his Spock's Beard stuff)
Judas Priest
Testament

Don't tell anybody, but I'm gonna smuggle Mike Patton's (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle) catalog and maybe 311 onto the island as well.  Twisted Evil
I know Neal Morse’s theology may be wack, but his music definitely isn’t secular
Edit - nvm I forgot about spock’s beard

Last edited by seth on Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:04 pm

Pethead wrote:I almost put Metallica because of their classics but, man, I guess I could use the rest as drink coasters on my tropical retreat.

First 5 = classic
Load & Reload = pretty darn good for what they are
St. Anger = pretty darn bad for what it tried to be
Death Magnetic, Hardwired and 72 Seasons = much better than the previous 3

LuLu is not invited at all.
Evil or Very Mad
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:06 pm

I guess Load and Reload are pretty darn good at being frisbees; that’s true.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:06 pm

I don’t listen to much Metallica, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard a good song from them from any album after And Justice for All
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:07 pm

The Black Album has some good songs, as do the most recent three. But they’re nowhere near as good as the first 4.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, Constantine, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:17 pm

I really don't get the hate for the Load/Reload stuff. 

Their earlier material was mainly inspired by the NWOBHM.

The Load albums were inspired more by their bluesy 70s influences. (Sabbath, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, etc.)

I never bought into the Metallica-bashing pissing contests of the 90s/early 00s. 
"muh Napster!"

Even I think St. Anger was a big misstep. 

Since then, they've been getting better and better in my opinion. 

LuLu is STILL not invited!
Evil or Very Mad
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:18 pm

Pethead wrote:The Black Album has some good songs, as do the most recent three. But they’re nowhere near as good as the first 4.

They'll never top those first four...or escape their shadows.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:20 pm

Is Lulu even a metallica album? Wasn’t it just them as a backing band for some other guy?
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:22 pm

Okay as of now,

Yes
Bad Company
Tom Petty
Robin Trower
ZZ Top
Queensryche
Pink Floyd
Alice In Chains
Rush
Santana
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:24 pm

seth wrote:Is Lulu even a metallica album? Wasn’t it just them as a backing band for some other guy?

Correct. It was a Lou Reed project. 

I think it was originally a play or something.

It has the same designation as Onward To Freedom. Not a Metallica album. 

Still...many choose to lump it in with their catalog so they can use it to fuel their diatribes. 
Sleepy 1
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Sevenoneself and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:29 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:I really don't get the hate for the Load/Reload stuff. 

The Load albums were inspired more by their bluesy 70s influences. (Sabbath, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, etc.)

I never bought into the Metallica-bashing pissing contests of the 90s/early 00s. 
"muh Napster!"

Evil or Very Mad
Part of the problem is that those bands knew how to swing and groove. Metallica do not.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Constantine, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:36 pm

Pethead wrote:
MagnusPrime wrote:I really don't get the hate for the Load/Reload stuff. 

"muh Napster!"

Evil or Very Mad
Part of the problem is that those bands knew how to swing and groove. Metallica do not.

Whatever.  Rolling Eyes
I think they're grooooovy, man! 
afro
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:37 pm

I think the 90’s were a bad time for rock/metal in general, since they brought the abominations of grunge, alt-rock etc which are largely responsible for the angsty, whiny crap that passes for mainstream rock today. I think Metallica’s later stuff (that I’ve heard) has at least some influence from modern/alt-rock, which pretty much ruined their sound
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:56 pm

Iron Maiden
Falconer
Blind Guardian
Jorne Lande
Dio
Crescent Shield
Septic Flesh
Avantasia
Timeless Miracle
Brainstorm

Last edited by scottmitchell74 on Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, Pethead, Constantine, MagnusPrime, scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:12 pm

Every Dream Theater band member and their side projects.

That's at least three months worth of listening time just to get one time through.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Constantine, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:28 pm

Megadeth
Bolt Thrower
Testament
Obituary
Savatage
Blind Guardian
Iron Maiden
Anthrax
Riverside
Black Sabbath

And I'm sneaking in Master of Puppets.

Last edited by Black Rider on Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, Constantine, MagnusPrime, scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:44 pm

Superjuice wrote:Every Dream Theater band member and their side projects.

That's at least three months worth of listening time just to get one time through.

Well that's just Astonishing!
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:08 pm

seth wrote:I think the 90’s were a bad time for rock/metal in general, since they brought the abominations of grunge, alt-rock etc which are largely responsible for the angsty, whiny crap that passes for mainstream rock today. I think Metallica’s later stuff (that I’ve heard) has at least some influence from modern/alt-rock, which pretty much ruined their sound

Good point on the modern rock sound. I can hear that in places in Load/Reload and even St. Anger.

I don't really hear much of an alt-rock influence on the Load albums. Maybe Until It Sleeps and Where The Wild Things Are. The rest is more Hard/Blues/Southern rock-ish to me.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:41 pm

European bands kept rocking , Blind Guardian, Helloween, and others were my go tos along with thrash and Death Metal.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, MagnusPrime, scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next