The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Same Old Story' - new single/video from Stryper

+10
oldschooldoom
Sevenoneself
TZ75
Constantine
Frozen Fire
Black Rider
Andreas89
Raegoul
MagnusPrime
Lex Metalis
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

'Same Old Story' - new single/video from Stryper Empty 'Same Old Story' - new single/video from Stryper

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:33 am

- - -

official video

Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom, Frozen Fire, Andreas89, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

'Same Old Story' - new single/video from Stryper Empty Re: 'Same Old Story' - new single/video from Stryper

Post by MagnusPrime Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:46 am

Pretty good. Catchy chorus!
I'm really liking these new songs so far.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom, Lex Metalis and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

'Same Old Story' - new single/video from Stryper Empty Re: 'Same Old Story' - new single/video from Stryper

Post by Raegoul Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:08 am

Solid mid tempo rocker: check.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

oldschooldoom, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:33 am

Never heard so many good songs from one Stryper album since No More Hell to Pay.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

oldschooldoom, Pethead, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:23 am

Okay song, little too by the numbers.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite, TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:39 am

Continuously pleased with these, particularly the solo work. Michael keeps getting better.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

oldschooldoom, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:29 pm

"Same Old Story" could be re-titled "Same Old Song."

Sorry, couldn't resist....Smile

It's perfectly okay but as Blackrider said, it's paint-by-numbers Stryper.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider, TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:21 pm

I like it, but the name is very appropriate… nothing new musically.

They don’t really go too much outside of their comfort zone. I think it would be a pleasant surprise if they sped things up like Judas Priest did on Painkiller. “Rock the Hell Out of You” is a good example.

Last edited by TZ75 on Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:50 pm

While I echo what's been said about cookie-cutter songwriting, I did enjoy the song and the major key in the chorus helped it to stand-out in my mind. (I didn't go back to check out if any of the other songs from the new albums were in major keys).
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:29 pm

Slow it down a bit more and they can start experimenting with Doom! 

Maybe it’s not so bad after all.  lol!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, oldschooldoom and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:48 am

At least I know this album is heavy! I think it might be their heaviest ever.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:52 am

I like it but I like everything Stryper. But lyrically this one probably is the most repetitive.
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:56 am

It'd be cool if they added a little doom element, or maybe a little more speed. I like Stryper but they are pumping them out and it's all in the same lane.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite, oldschooldoom, TZ75, Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:09 am

Black Rider wrote:It'd be cool if they added a little doom element, or maybe a little more speed. I like Stryper but they are pumping them out and it's all in the same lane.
Agree, I said the same in another thread.  They have the talent to add different elements into at least some of their songs  - perhaps a little prog, doom, speed, thrash, unblack, even psychedelia, bluesy hard rock, funk, and so on.  I wonder what is holding them back from doing that.  If the hardcore fans don't like it, well as a band, are you just making music for them?  You're the ones who have to rehearse it and play it night after night.  

Maybe this is all Stryper like to play themselves?  As an amateur musician I find that hard to believe because I like variety and different textures, tones, styles, and sounds.  A world of possibilities is open to them and yet they seem to want to stay in the same state without so much as taking a detour, much less a vacation.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:14 am

I bet Michael Sweet could bust some sweet rhymes, yo.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:34 pm

Pethead wrote:I bet Michael Sweet could bust some sweet rhymes, yo.
clown
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:40 pm

Black Rider wrote:
Pethead wrote:I bet Michael Sweet could bust some sweet rhymes, yo.
clown
I know you’re afraid the new Stryper won’t be as good as the new Civil War.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:03 pm

Black Rider wrote:It'd be cool if they added a little doom element, or maybe a little more speed. I like Stryper but they are pumping them out and it's all in the same lane.

I can imagine them doing something like Galactic Cowboys did. Not full on thrash, but sections of some of the songs. There’s a video of Michael sitting with Alex Skolnick from Testament and he said that he likes what they do. Maybe Michael is willing to do something like that, but not the other guys. I can tell Michael is a very enthusiastic and “young at heart” guy. He did actually do something different with “Take It To The Cross”. It was a weird vocal part that no one expected. And they also dabbled in funk with “Shining Star”, so I know on occasion they will try new things. I’m just hoping they will do something gritty and aggressive like they’ve never done before. I think they are capable of doing something along the lines of Painkiller or War of Words.

Last edited by TZ75 on Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:15 pm

I think we'll hear surprises on the album. That said, I really don't think they've been repeating themselves too much. Yes. Even The Devil Believes was more by the numbers (also my favorite Stryper to date) but it sounded fresh to me. GDE had a lot of different sounds. It had a lot more groove, was more down tempo, and down tuned. Interestingly, over all, people here didn't like it as much, partly for those very reasons. 

I think Michael has taken to experimenting in small doses with Stryper (ex. the bridge on How to Fly, proggy keyboards on Invitation Only) and doing what he wants with his other projects. He knows what Stryper fans want. There are 10,000 other bands fans can go to find what they are wanting Stryper to do.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

oldschooldoom, Pethead, Ammocas, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:16 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:I think we'll hear surprises on the album. That said, I really don't think they've been repeating themselves too much. Yes. Even The Devil Believes was more by the numbers (also my favorite Stryper to date) but it sounded fresh to me. GDE had a lot of different sounds. It had a lot more groove, was more down tempo, and down tuned. Interestingly, over all, people here didn't like it as much, partly for those very reasons. 

I think Michael has taken to experimenting in small doses with Stryper (ex. the bridge on How to Fly, proggy keyboards on Invitation Only) and doing what he wants with his other projects. He knows what Stryper fans want. There are 10,000 other bands fans can go to find what they are wanting Stryper to do.
This 100%.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:36 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:I think we'll hear surprises on the album. That said, I really don't think they've been repeating themselves too much. Yes. Even The Devil Believes was more by the numbers (also my favorite Stryper to date) but it sounded fresh to me. GDE had a lot of different sounds. It had a lot more groove, was more down tempo, and down tuned. Interestingly, over all, people here didn't like it as much, partly for those very reasons. 

We are Stryper fans… and we wouldn’t be asking for them to experiment with tempo changes if we were content. A couple songs on each album that are outside their normal formula might be a good thing. Of coarse, you can’t please everyone… but it would keep people guessing what they will do next. Change didn’t hurt Pantera. We all know they were of the glam persuasion early on. I’m not saying Stryper should go aggro and hardcore, but they could add some speed and thrash elements musically like Judas Priest did (and Halford with the first Fight album).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:45 pm

Go listen to Mike's solo stuff lately and you hear different sounds. I'm just saying it'd be cool if they changed it up a little, it's getting so the albums blur together. Of course it's all opinions, i'm not bagging on them.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

TZ75, Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:51 pm

Black Rider wrote:Go listen to Mike's solo stuff lately and you hear different sounds. I'm just saying it'd be cool if they changed it up a little, it's getting so the albums blur together. Of course it's all opinions, i'm not bagging on them.

I like the aggressive stuff Mike has done lately on his solo albums. It definitely doesn’t hurt to have Jeff Loomis play on your album!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, oldschooldoom and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:23 pm

So far, I am liking the direction of the new album, personally.

I don't care if they experiment much as I like what they've been putting out since their reunion.

If they deviate too much, the fans will bail on them as they did on "Reborn".  After that, I don't really blame them for playing it a bit more on the safe side.

Even when they have tried something different like "Take It To The Cross" or "Chicken In the Crust", they catch a lot of flack for it.  If I caught crap as much as they have in the past, I would just play what I liked as a musician and not worry about trying something new.  Sticking to what you do best is where most fans seem to adore you.  Just ask KISS and AC/DC.

Angus once told this story: "Someone accused us of having 12 albums that all sounded the same.  I got mad!  We have 13 albums that sound the same!"

I think that applies here as well.  The point is that they make the music they want to play and hear.  In the end, if people like it, even better!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Black Rider, oldschooldoom, Pethead, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:37 pm

alldatndensum wrote:The point is that they make the music they want to play and hear.  
Well that is the question, which still stands unless they say so explicitly.  If that's the case then I would say go for it.  But if they're just trying to stick to a formula to make money by appeasing bland palates, that's a different motive altogether and one that is hardly as admirable IMO.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next