The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite And Least Favorite Savatage album?

+4
Black Rider
MagnusPrime
Pethead
Constantine
8 posters

Go down

Favorite And Least Favorite Savatage album? Empty Favorite And Least Favorite Savatage album?

Post by Constantine Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:55 am

My favorite is "The Dungeons Are Calling" E.P.   It's just raw, straight-up and to the point.  I've never cared for their later orchestral stuff, just not my thing.

My least favorite would be the always-maligned "Fight For The Rock" album.  I tried to listen to it once and it was so awful.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Favorite And Least Favorite Savatage album? Empty Re: Favorite And Least Favorite Savatage album?

Post by Pethead Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:17 pm

Edge of Thorns is my favorite. Not sure about least favorite. I like all the ones I have.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Favorite And Least Favorite Savatage album? Empty Re: Favorite And Least Favorite Savatage album?

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:16 pm

An all-time favorite band!

Gutter Ballet is my favorite. A transition album from their USPM days to their progressive metal era. A perfect balance of both on this album.

Least favorite is Fight For The Rock, but I still like it!

Excellent band.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:20 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:An all-time favorite band!

Gutter Ballet is my favorite. A transition album from their USPM days to their progressive metal era. A perfect balance of both on this album.

Least favorite is Fight For The Rock, but I still like it!

Excellent band.
Gutter Ballet is great!
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:31 pm

Edge of Thorns and Gutter Ballet for me. Don't really like Sirens and Power of the Night much .
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:57 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Hall of the Mountain King yet.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:02 pm

Pethead wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned Hall of the Mountain King yet.
It's definitely a very good album.  But just like with Power Of The Night, there are songs that stand out like the title track and then others that are less memorable.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bahana Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:56 pm

Streets is my favorite. Least favorite is probably Fight for the Rock. Although, I've only listened to that album a little on streaming before giving up on it.
Bahana
Bahana
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:27 pm

Edge of Thorns for me. I absolutely love that album!
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:32 am

I’ve never really gotten into their pre-HotMK stuff because some of the lyrics bother me. Of their later stuff, She’s in Love is the only one I really skip. Their lyrics improved a lot overall from HotMK on, IMHBAO.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:56 pm

Pethead wrote:I’ve never really gotten into their pre-HotMK stuff because some of the lyrics bother me. Of their later stuff, She’s in Love is the only one I really skip. Their lyrics improved a lot overall from HotMK on, IMHBAO.
True, I would never support them lyrically, but then again I would not support the typical lyrics of any secular band. 
I don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics in general and don't mind the kitschy horror movie stuff but intensely dislike sexual lyrics because they are usually more in your face and harder to tune out.  Some of the lyrics on "Power Of The Night" and "Gutter Ballet" are pretty hair-raising.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:33 pm

Constantine wrote:
Pethead wrote:I’ve never really gotten into their pre-HotMK stuff because some of the lyrics bother me. Of their later stuff, She’s in Love is the only one I really skip. Their lyrics improved a lot overall from HotMK on, IMHBAO.
True, I would never support them lyrically, but then again I would not support the typical lyrics of any secular band. 
I don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics in general and don't mind the kitschy horror movie stuff but intensely dislike sexual lyrics because they are usually more in your face and harder to tune out.  Some of the lyrics on "Power Of The Night" and "Gutter Ballet" are pretty hair-raising.
I should’ve been clearer. It’s the sexual stuff that bothers me. I don’t mind “dark” lyrics, but the dirty stuff bothers me. From what I’ve seen Power of the Night has the worst lyrics overall. I might spin Sirens and Dungeons Are Calling, though.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:48 pm

Pethead wrote:

I should’ve been clearer. It’s the sexual stuff that bothers me. I don’t mind “dark” lyrics, but the dirty stuff bothers me. 
Yep, me too.  That's why I don't listen to certain bands or songs even though the music is great.  
Many a good song has been ruined by juvenile sex lyrics, in different genres.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:54 pm

Constantine wrote:
Pethead wrote:

I should’ve been clearer. It’s the sexual stuff that bothers me. I don’t mind “dark” lyrics, but the dirty stuff bothers me. 
Yep, me too.  That's why I don't listen to certain bands or songs even though the music is great.  
Many a good song has been ruined by juvenile sex lyrics, in different genres.
Absolutely. For example, I love a lot of hair metal, but there’s so much of it I can’t stomach lyrically.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Constantine and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:08 pm

Pethead wrote:

Absolutely. For example, I love a lot of hair metal, but there’s so much of it I can’t stomach lyrically.
100%.  I consider hair metal to be the absolute biggest transgressor in this manner.  

Even before I became a believer this stuff bothered me, although not to the same extent.
I remember getting a Manowar concert in a tape trade (sorry, I'm old, lol) and there was a long, cringeworthy sequence when Eric Adams pulls a young lady up on stage and pressures her to pull up her top and show everything.  

It was just so....gross.   Really turned me off to them (as if the pedophilic opening of "Into Glory Ride" wasn't enough already, lol).

Even an otherwise decently-lyric'd album like Halloween "Don't Metal With Evil" or Cerebus "Too Late To Pray" will be marred by some dumb sex song. Rolling Eyes  Mad
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:59 pm

Constantine wrote:
Pethead wrote:

100%.  I consider hair metal to be the absolute biggest transgressor in this manner.  

Even before I became a believer this stuff bothered me, although not to the same extent.
I remember getting a Manowar concert in a tape trade (sorry, I'm old, lol) and there was a long, cringeworthy sequence when Eric Adams pulls a young lady up on stage and pressures her to pull up her top and show everything.  

It was just so....gross.   Really turned me off to them (as if the pedophilic opening of "Into Glory Ride" wasn't enough already, lol).

Even an otherwise decently-lyric'd album like Halloween "Don't Metal With Evil" or Cerebus "Too Late To Pray" will be marred by some dumb sex song. Rolling Eyes  Mad

Same here. I LOVE Manowar but some of the lyrics are goofy. 

When they're great though, they're GREAT.
The lyrics to Heart Of Steel are amazing as are a lot of their songs about individuality and perseverance. 
...and of course Metal. Wouldn't be Manowar if they didn't sing about Metal LOL!

As far as the girls go, let's just say the guys don't have to do too much convincing LOL.
That said, I think the whole getting them on stage to pull their clothes off thing is idiotic and completely unnecessary. 

As far as hair/glam/sleaze kind of stuff, I like a lot of those bands musically, but yeah the lyrics can be worthy of more than a few eye-rolls LOL.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbVII Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:03 pm

Hall Of The Mountain King
RobbVII
RobbVII
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Black Rider and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by the Ceiling Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:51 am

Favorite: Sirens
Least: Fight for Rock
Have not heard all the ones after Streets, though, and the ones that I have listened to, i haven't really listened to them too much.  Still listen to Sirens, the Dungeons are Calling, and Hall of the Mountain King fairly regularly.
the Ceiling
the Ceiling
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Constantine and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down