The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian Rock database...

+3
Lex Metalis
Constantine
Dr3ams
7 posters

Go down

Christian Rock database... Empty Christian Rock database...

Post by Dr3ams Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:43 pm

For a long time I've been thinking about making a Christian Rock database. The first database I made was a simple Excel spreadsheet that listed and rated the bands I had in my collection. But, I found myself wanting more information about the bands I listen to and spent a lot of time on the net browsing through various sites. The information I found was mostly in fragments scattered across the internet. My desire is to have the information I want, in a comprehensive format that is easy to access on the PC or smartphone. 

I've completed the site and have already posted several bands. It's been slow going at first. I want to make sure that I add information that I want, things about the bands that I'm really interested in, and not just something to fill up space. Also, a lot of information isn't available anymore. Some bands have just vanished from the earth, along with some information I would like to add to the database. Particularly difficult is finding lyrics. I don't want to go out and purchase a CD from a band whose lyrics I can't find online. This hobby would get expensive real fast.

I don't want to post a link here. Because my site also provides a forum, I think it would be in bad taste (maybe even breaking a rule here). If it's allowed, I good send anyone who is interested a pm with a link. It would be great to get some ideas on how to improve what I've already done.
Dr3ams
Dr3ams
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Christian Rock database... Empty Re: Christian Rock database...

Post by Constantine Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:06 pm

I would like to see the site.  What I have been wishing lately is to have a list of all Christian metal and rock bands along with the particular states / countries that they are / were from.  Problem is finding people to work on that, I would not be able to do that by myself.  But if your research lists that info, that is something I am looking for right now.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:24 pm

Encyclopedia Metallum is my first choice, always

And, also, have The Slick
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:06 pm

I find there are several areas or sites that do a decent job: Angelic Warlord, Metal For Jesus, this forum and Scott Watters site No Life Til Metal. Scott has both Christian and non Christian bands listed from his collection but you can go through his list of bands and if they are on youtube as a lot of them are you can see what you like. 

There used to be a master database called Firestream Music Vault or something like that that was hacked or crashed. The owners after having it hacked or crashed  2 or 3 times decided to not pursue it any longer. 

There are also around 50-60 Christian Oriented Music places on Facebook that I'm following or subscribed to. These keep me up to date. 

Then there are music communities on youtube both Christian and non Christian that talk about their collection, recent additions, etc. I have a channel under Soldier777 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCRi1XsFskro-RjQ6W7A75Q where I do that and discuss other topics. There are others like Area 312, Torrential Riff, Mege Jeff's Rock Hard Vinyl, David Stinson, Tim Ristow, etc. I would post links but right now for all of this I'm too lazy, these are easy to find and my wife called out to me a couple of time to do something.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:52 am

I don't think the scene needs an all-new database.  There is nothing wrong with Metal-Archives and RateYourMusic.com and Firestream ended up being a flop.  I've had no issues adding the info I needed to the pre-existing secular websites.  I think also just for lyrics that there are several sites where one can enter them.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:42 am

I really miss when Scott would update NLTM. I know he does the YouTube videos, but it was a lot quicker to just browse the site and it was a LOT easier to find reviews of specific albums.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, Temple of Blood and alldatndensum like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:22 am

Pethead wrote:I really miss when Scott would update NLTM. I know he does the YouTube videos, but it was a lot quicker to just browse the site and it was a LOT easier to find reviews of specific albums.

I feel the same about most news sites that only give you a video instead of the text version.  I can read the article generally faster than I can watch the video.  The same goes for reviews.  I won't watch a video review of an album because they can be 10-15 minutes when I could have read the text version in less than three.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Staybrite, Temple of Blood and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:31 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Pethead wrote:I really miss when Scott would update NLTM. I know he does the YouTube videos, but it was a lot quicker to just browse the site and it was a LOT easier to find reviews of specific albums.

I feel the same about most news sites that only give you a video instead of the text version.  I can read the article generally faster than I can watch the video.  The same goes for reviews.  I won't watch a video review of an album because they can be 10-15 minutes when I could have read the text version in less than three.
Precisely.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:55 am

YouTube has more eyeballs these days too, plus it can be monetized.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down