The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traditional and Epic Doom Metal

+7
oldschooldoom
Black Rider
Kerrick
Pethead
Constantine
mothy
Son of Nun
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Traditional and Epic Doom Metal - Page 2 Empty Re: Traditional and Epic Doom Metal

Post by Kerrick Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:27 pm

LOL. Poor guy probably gets all sorts of jokes haha. "Dude I loved you in Wayne's World!" Razz

Tyrant
Tyrant

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Traditional and Epic Doom Metal - Page 2 Empty Re: Traditional and Epic Doom Metal

Post by Son of Nun Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:01 pm

Pethead wrote:
Son of Nun wrote:
Kerrick wrote:This is a valid point though in many instances, I'd rather just straight-up [clean] secular lyrics over quasi-Christian ones.  You mentioned Black Sabbath which is a good example.  It's been a long time since I've looked at any of their lyrics so my memory's a bit fuzzy, but while they do have some seemingly overtly Christian lyrics, IIRC others are spiritual but not remotely Christian.  While some of their members wear crosses, it doesn't appear that they're actually practicing Christians.  To me, that's reason to tread very carefully since you now have, in a way (and most likely quite innocently) "wolves in sheep's clothing" so to speak, if that makes sense?

I'm curious to hear more of your thoughts on Pentagram.  I never really looked into 'em much though I know Victor Griffin is (or was?) back in the band.  That's awesome to hear that they're all believers now!  I wasn't aware of that.  I may have to check 'em out more now.  I sampled a few of their earlier lyrics and they don't seem bad at all.  I recall seeing that Bobby was accused of negligence of his elderly mother or something.  Do you know what the outcome of that was?

Solitude Aeturnus is an interesting one.  I remember stumbling up on them early in my metal fandom career haha and falling in love with their music.  IIRC their first few albums had quite Christian lyrics, but then Robert Lowe started writing their lyrics and they became pretty anti-Christian.  He's an interesting one because he's done [guest] vocals on a few Christian projects but then some of his other stuff is especially un-Christian-friendly.  I think Candlemass had some pretty anti-Christian lyrics when he was a part of them too, though again, it's been a long time since I looked into it.

I saw Saint Vitus live when Wino was still with them.  They put on a very good show though are definitely not Christian.  Wino made some news with a anti-government-overreach post on social media regarding covid and whatnot.  So he gets thumbs-up from me, and I believe SV's guitarist is on the same wavelength too haha.
 Rob Lowe writes a lot of depressing, emo lyrics.

But he seems like such a cheerful fellow... 

Traditional and Epic Doom Metal - Page 2 Chris-traeger-thumbsup

But do you know the real Rob Lowe...inside? Sad
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:45 am

This is a great song. One of my favorite performances by Marcolin. What a voice!

Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:16 pm

That's a great album.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Son of Nun likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:24 pm

One day I saw a man
dressed in rags, with a staff in his hand
begging for a penny to survive
How poor a man can be
I gave him hospitality
a room, a bed and lots of food to eat

Still I hear his last few words
"I can never return what you've done
but heaven will remember and repay"
Fifty years had gone since I saw him
I was dying and I'd soon be dead
Three angels stood in front of my bed

The first one she said to me, don't be afraid
I will give you immortality, and grace for your soul
The second had eyes of gold, she gave me my wings
The third gave all wisdom, an angel could give
...to me

[Repeat 1st Verse]

I joined with my destiny, eternally
I knew I was born again, an angel to be
A vision beyond my dreams, called me by name
So in devotion I spread my wings, to heaven I came
...to stay

Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:18 pm

Thanks to this thread, I’ve started diving more into doom metal, and I’ve gotta say:

I’m a convert!

So far, I’ve checked out:

Candlemass: Nightfall
Solitude Aeturnus: Into the Depths of Sorrow
Under the Sun: Man of Sorrow
Saint Vitus: Born Too Late
Nick Leonard: Revelation
Warpriest: Dark Ages 
Forsaken: Pentateuch
Pylon: The Harrowing of Hell

(And if they count):
Cirith Ungol: King of the Dead
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

deathisgain, bgsully and Son of Nun like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:25 pm

Pethead wrote:Thanks to this thread, I’ve started diving more into doom metal, and I’ve gotta say:

I’m a convert!

(And if they count):

Awesome! What are you liking the most so far? Don't forget to check out Trouble - The Skull, Run to the Light, and Trouble (1990). Those rule.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:42 pm

Son of Nun wrote:
Pethead wrote:Thanks to this thread, I’ve started diving more into doom metal, and I’ve gotta say:

I’m a convert!

(And if they count):

Awesome! What are you liking the most so far? Don't forget to check out Trouble - The Skull, Run to the Light, and Trouble (1990). Those rule.
Oh these, the ones that probably grabbed me most were:

They’re on my list. I like Psalm 9.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

deathisgain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:05 pm

Nice choices. Saint Vitus had two different vocalists (well three because they had another guy for one album) so if you're not a big fan of the Wino stuff, you might try the albums with Scott Reagers (who is very different). I like Hallow's Victim (faster-paced) and Die Healing (slow and epic).

Also, I think the other top Forsaken album is After the Fall if you're looking to explore them more.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:06 pm

Son of Nun wrote:Nice choices. Saint Vitus had two different vocalists (well three because they had another guy for one album) so if you're not a big fan of the Wino stuff, you might try the albums with Scott Reagers (who is very different). I like Hallow's Victim (faster-paced) and Die Healing (slow and epic).

Also, I think the other top Forsaken album is After the Fall if you're looking to explore them more.
I enjoyed Born Too Late, I just liked the four I mentioned a bit more. I’ll check out some more of their stuff!
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Son of Nun likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:41 pm

Checked out Under the Sun and some of it is very enjoyable but it's kind of inconsistent. Had potential, too bad it seems that's all they did.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:35 pm

Son of Nun wrote:Also, I think the other top Forsaken album is After the Fall if you're looking to explore them more.

That's an excellent album and possibly their most consistent.  It was also my intro to the band.  Though I think Dominaeon is actually my favorite of theirs.  Pentateuch is very good though something about the production I find distracting.  Regardless, all their albums are very good IMO and worth owning!

As for Under The Sun, I agree with BR about their one album being a bit inconsistent, though at least for me, after repeated listens it flows a little better.  The first and last tracks are sorta odd bookends to an otherwise pretty consistent album (to my ears).

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by bgsully Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:11 pm

Huge fan of Traditional and Epic Doom!
Some of the things I've been listening to lately are: 

Paterikon - doom of the doomed
Eric Wagner - in the lonely light of the mourning
Ard - take up my bones
Below - upon a pale horse
Spillage - electric exorcist
Dawnrider - the fourth dawn
bgsully
bgsully
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://faustianslip.bandcamp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:14 pm

I forgot about Below but I remember liking them.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

bgsully likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:38 pm

I'm excited about that Eric Wagner album. I think it's out now or will be soon (I mean the CD and LP)?
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by bgsully Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:54 pm

Son of Nun wrote:I'm excited about that Eric Wagner album. I think it's out now or will be soon (I mean the CD and LP)?
Looks like the cd is still pre order. Not sure about vinyl
bgsully
bgsully
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:55 pm

crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:11 am

Anyone know anything about a band called All Souls Day out of Italy? Good stuff so far, might be Christian leaning not really sure since I cant find a lyric sheet, but they ae pretty good.

mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

bgsully likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bgsully Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:06 pm

All souls day is a great band
bgsully
bgsully
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:35 pm

If you told me that was Candlemass with a new singer I would believe you.
I'm excited about that Wagner album.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:57 pm

Looks like the 18th on the Wagner CD and vinyl.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobi Elektrik Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:24 am

Kerrick wrote:I saw Saint Vitus live when Wino was still with them.  They put on a very good show though are definitely not Christian.  Wino made some news with a anti-government-overreach post on social media regarding covid and whatnot.  So he gets thumbs-up from me, and I believe SV's guitarist is on the same wavelength too haha.

Would perhaps be good to inform yourself a little more about such people before you raise the thumbs. Shows pretty well what a weird spirit prevails here in the forum: applause for all who have the supposedly same opinion. Whether these are then people who are quite confused contemporaries on closer inspection, does not matter.
Wino is a great artist, who for me, both through his guitar sound and his voice, has shaped doom and personified it like hardly anyone else.
But his statements were already in the past a mixture of persecution mania, New Age babble and occult confusion. Just exactly what you'd expect from someone who's been on way too hard drugs for way too long. This seems to have gotten much worse in recent months.
I mean... Wino had to leave Saint Vitus on a European tour and wasn't allowed into Europe for years after that because he was carrying crystal meth. Applauding someone for their political standpoint who doesn't take responsibility for themselves and their touring band doesn't make such a good impression in terms of your own values. If THOSE are people who make political assessments of value, then "good night".
Cynical tip: He also makes an excellent Covid expert. Eric Wagner can certainly attest to that. Or could he if he didn't.... well...
What complete idiots some people take so seriously, if it meets the political opinion...
Tobi Elektrik
Tobi Elektrik
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobi Elektrik Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:26 am

I just listend to one song and his vocals sounded quite off. Now I'm afraid to listen to the rest because it might sadden me to hear a bad vocal performance on his last songs.  Shocked
Tobi Elektrik
Tobi Elektrik
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:25 pm

Tobi Elektrik wrote:
Kerrick wrote:I saw Saint Vitus live when Wino was still with them.  They put on a very good show though are definitely not Christian.  Wino made some news with a anti-government-overreach post on social media regarding covid and whatnot.  So he gets thumbs-up from me, and I believe SV's guitarist is on the same wavelength too haha.

Would perhaps be good to inform yourself a little more about such people before you raise the thumbs. Shows pretty well what a weird spirit prevails here in the forum: applause for all who have the supposedly same opinion. Whether these are then people who are quite confused contemporaries on closer inspection, does not matter.
Wino is a great artist, who for me, both through his guitar sound and his voice, has shaped doom and personified it like hardly anyone else.
But his statements were already in the past a mixture of persecution mania, New Age babble and occult confusion. Just exactly what you'd expect from someone who's been on way too hard drugs for way too long. This seems to have gotten much worse in recent months.
I mean... Wino had to leave Saint Vitus on a European tour and wasn't allowed into Europe for years after that because he was carrying crystal meth. Applauding someone for their political standpoint who doesn't take responsibility for themselves and their touring band doesn't make such a good impression in terms of your own values. If THOSE are people who make political assessments of value, then "good night".
Cynical tip: He also makes an excellent Covid expert. Eric Wagner can certainly attest to that. Or could he if he didn't.... well...
What complete idiots some people take so seriously, if it meets the political opinion...

Oh boy...  I don't want to derail the conversation but this should be addressed.  And perhaps I was just unclear so I apologize and hope to clarify: I don't mean to give Wino my "thumbs up" for the entirety of his life choices but rather solely his criticism of government overreach and support for personal freedoms.  You clearly disagree with those sentiments and that's just fine!  We've got folks from all sorts of backgrounds here and are sure to disagree on just about everything.  But please refrain from being so condescending, belittling, and setting up these straw-man arguments in order to tear down my - or anyone's - values/beliefs/etc. here.  These are classic "cancel-culture" tactics that have no place here.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Black Rider, mothy and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bgsully Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:36 pm

Good Traditional Doom I came across on bandcamp:

Lords Of Illusion 
https://lordsofillusion2.bandcamp.com/album/the-great-tribulation
bgsully
bgsully
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next