The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian bands in the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal that aren't Wytch Hazel...?

+7
mothy
Superjuice
Kerrick
Constantine
Black Rider
Andreas89
SwordOfAcroyear
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Christian bands in the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal that aren't Wytch Hazel...? Empty Christian bands in the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal that aren't Wytch Hazel...?

Post by SwordOfAcroyear Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:45 am

I like a lot of the bands in the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal, but of course, some of them have songs that get into territory that is a little unsavory for me. Visigoth, for example, has a great song paying tribute to Dungeons and Dragons, "Dungeon Master", but then also surprises me with a pretty dark tune about human sacrifice.

Wytch Hazel is associated with that movement by some, given the throwback nature of their sound, but are there any bands out there associated with the movement that anyone knows of that are either Christian or that have a Christian influence?

SwordOfAcroyear
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Black Rider, Temple of Blood and Andreas89 like this post

Back to top Go down

Christian bands in the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal that aren't Wytch Hazel...? Empty Re: Christian bands in the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal that aren't Wytch Hazel...?

Post by Andreas89 Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:40 am

Not that I know of. It would be cool though, one of those typical chest-thumping epic heavy metal bands like Visigoth or Eternal Champion but with sound christian lyrics.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Black Rider and SwordOfAcroyear like this post

Back to top Go down

Christian bands in the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal that aren't Wytch Hazel...? Empty Re: Christian bands in the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal that aren't Wytch Hazel...?

Post by SwordOfAcroyear Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:41 am

Andreas89 wrote:Not that I know of. It would be cool though, one of those typical chest-thumping epic heavy metal bands like Visigoth or Eternal Champion but with sound christian lyrics.
Yeah, exactly. I would love that so much. I love Wytch Hazel, but they're a different sort of band than those you mentioned.

SwordOfAcroyear
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Andreas89 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:41 am

Yes, Eternal Champion has a great sound.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Andreas89 and SwordOfAcroyear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:28 pm

Unfortunately there are very few bands in the recent NWOTHM movement that are Christian or even close to it.  
However here is one that gets neglected often, although I think they are very good.   
They are a Christian band from the Netherlands, which in itself is also a rarity:

Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider, Staybrite and SwordOfAcroyear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:41 pm

Not exactly what you're looking for... but some of Warlord's stuff has a similar feel:

Tyrant
Tyrant

Black Rider, Temple of Blood and SwordOfAcroyear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SwordOfAcroyear Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Constantine wrote:Unfortunately there are very few bands in the recent NWOTHM movement that are Christian or even close to it.  
However here is one that gets neglected often, although I think they are very good.   
They are a Christian band from the Netherlands, which in itself is also a rarity:

These guys are great! Thanks for sharing this! Hopefully they have a bright future ahead of them in the music industry.

SwordOfAcroyear
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SwordOfAcroyear Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:43 pm

Kerrick wrote:Not exactly what you're looking for... but some of Warlord's stuff has a similar feel:

Absolutely! Love Warlord!

SwordOfAcroyear
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Temple of Blood and Kerrick like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:55 pm

I guess Stairway is considered NWOBHM since they're, you know, actually from Britain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRXnre8e8QY

TOB should be here later on to list boatloads of underground bands.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Temple of Blood and SwordOfAcroyear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:03 pm

Superjuice wrote:I guess Stairway is considered NWOBHM since they're, you know, actually from Britain:
I believe he's asking about NWOTHM which is actually a more recent movement.
Yes, NWOBHM was the original movement from the U.K. but this is like a 2nd or 3rd wave movement of relatively new bands.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

SwordOfAcroyear likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:20 pm

There are almost 0 bands that are truely NWOBHM sound. I went down this road a little over a year ago and its almost impossible to find "Christian" bands that use that sound. There are some Christian friendly bands that have elements of that sound but its a almost dead sound anymore, which is a shame.

I would love to see what others may come up with though.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:24 pm

mothy wrote:There are almost 0 bands that are truely NWOBHM sound.
What are you holding up as the standard of NWOBHM then?   NWOBHM actually encompassed a range of style variations.  
Both Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are considered NWOBHM.  So are Diamond Head, Fist, Tokyo Blade, Avenger, Def Leppard, Savage, Praying Mantis, etc.   They don't all sound the same.  And we just named at least 2 Christian bands with a sound that fits within that stylistic framework.

Last edited by Constantine on Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and SwordOfAcroyear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Sardis is pretty good, though their latest EP is devoid of any Christian lyrics (unless you get the CD instead of just digital which has a bonus new version of their song Satisfied).

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:31 pm

Andreas89 wrote:Not that I know of. It would be cool though, one of those typical chest-thumping epic heavy metal bands like Visigoth or Eternal Champion but with sound christian lyrics.

The three recent albums by Jack Starr's Burning Starr might be of interest. They aren't really a Christian band but the vocalist/lyricist is a Christian and the lyrics seem pretty positive and might be a better option than those bands.

Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:44 pm

That latest Riot album might fit the bill, in terms of sound and lyrical content.  They are a veteran band though, so not really a "new wave" of anything.

(The Burning Starr reference brought it to mind.)
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:52 pm

Constantine wrote:
mothy wrote:There are almost 0 bands that are truely NWOBHM sound.
What are you holding up as the standard of NWOBHM then?   NWOBHM actually encompassed a range of style variations.  
Both Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are considered NWOBHM.  So are Diamond Head, Fist, Tokyo Blade, Avenger, Def Leppard, Savage, Praying Mantis, etc.   They don't all sound the same.  And we just named at least 2 Christian bands with a sound that fits within that stylistic framework.

Well for me the NWOBHM sound is that early dickson era IM sound and maybe more of an "Epic" heavy metal sound. I guess I cant put into words as much. 

Yeah you named 2 1 of which doesnt make music anymore (if your referring to Warlord) and Angelic Forces may be putting more music together. There doesnt seem to be many that are current in that style though. I have found some that are still going but more undergroun. Im not trying to argue you see it your way I see it mine. I would love a CHristian version of any of the bands you list above and to me they all have a "similar" sound outside of JP.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:56 pm

I did a little surfing around for a few and came across some:

Still going and on Spotify:

I wish they were around and their stuff easier to find:

Still around and not bad, the vocals are a little different:

Judah First

Trust Rocks
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:56 pm

Well, Ski has a new band called Screams of Bablyon and is the new singer for Attacker, who are very likely to carry on with Christian-themed lyrics.  So that's 2 Judas Priest influenced bands for ya.

If we're going back further in time, I still think Faith Factor's album and EP are excellent.  I'm disappointed with the Christian metal scene for not giving them their due.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:03 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Well, Ski has a new band called Screams of Bablyon and is the new singer for Attacker, who are very likely to carry on with Christian-themed lyrics.  So that's 2 Judas Priest influenced bands for ya.

If we're going back further in time, I still think Faith Factor's album and EP are excellent.  I'm disappointed with the Christian metal scene for not giving them their due.

Cool I didnt know Ski took over with Attacker. I know he was trying to start a band up that couldnt get off the ground (cant remember the name though)
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:06 pm

Looks like you can get Arcane Legion on Amazon

Arcane Legion
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:19 pm

mothy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:Well, Ski has a new band called Screams of Bablyon and is the new singer for Attacker, who are very likely to carry on with Christian-themed lyrics.  So that's 2 Judas Priest influenced bands for ya.

Cool I didnt know Ski took over with Attacker. I know he was trying to start a band up that couldnt get off the ground (cant remember the name though)

Rightful Heir.  I think that might still happen at some point though.

Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:20 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
mothy wrote:

Rightful Heir.  I think that might still happen at some point though.

Thats right..I hope it does. THanks for the Attacker link.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:22 pm

That's cool Ski joined Attacker, that Battle at Helm's Deep is a true underground classic.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SwordOfAcroyear Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:41 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:That latest Riot album might fit the bill, in terms of sound and lyrical content.  They are a veteran band though, so not really a "new wave" of anything.

(The Burning Starr reference brought it to mind.)
Riot is killer. And Mark Reale also did a great job incorporating his Christian faith into many of his songs. The new incarnation of the band is great too, absolutely.

SwordOfAcroyear
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by SwordOfAcroyear Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:51 pm

Constantine wrote:
Superjuice wrote:I guess Stairway is considered NWOBHM since they're, you know, actually from Britain:
I believe he's asking about NWOTHM which is actually a more recent movement.
Yes, NWOBHM was the original movement from the U.K. but this is like a 2nd or 3rd wave movement of relatively new bands.
Yep, exactly. I love a lot of NWOTHM bands, and I love fantasy metal, but sometimes they get into territory that turns me off. It'd definitely be great to find bands of that bent that reflected a Christian worldview in their lyrics.

SwordOfAcroyear
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next