The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking your kids to a show

+4
jaydeecrawson
Grindboy
eatbugs
Frozen Fire
8 posters

Go down

Taking your kids to a show Empty Taking your kids to a show

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Anyone ever take their kids with them to a show or were any of you at shows with a parent when you were younger? What age, what type of show? Bad experiences? Good experiences? Are there some key reasons why it's a terrible idea that most people don't think of?

It's loud. I wear hearing protection every time, so would they. The nights get late and concerts go long so that is a concern.

My kids like a number of Christian artists we listen to. My oldest who is only 7 really wants to go see Grave Robber. Seems like a weird idea to take him at some point but I know he loves the music and isn't scared of the costumes. Our kids love Needtobreathe and my wife and I always go on dates to those. When does it become a decent idea?

I'd love to hear some comments. I'm off to see Wolves At The Gate tomorrow in Cleveland with Comrades and My Epic. I have an extra ticket. Is it crazy to imagine me taking a 7 year old to a Christian metalcore show or do I try to get another friend to go along at the last minute?

Thanks for any comments, good or bad, in advance!
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Taking your kids to a show Empty Re: Taking your kids to a show

Post by eatbugs Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:05 pm

First of all, my kids aren't really interested in the music I like so it's a non-issue.

It depends on the show, the age of the kid, and the interest.  When Skillet played locally they were sold out, so a small child with a ticket would prevent someone more interested from going.  On the other had, Disciple was not sold out and a boy in my daughter's class (4th grade at the time) stood front row rocking out for most of the night.  He has passed "the test." Wink

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:34 pm

This won't help, my kid doesn't do metal at all.

But a couple years ago we went together to see Wierd Al.  It was awesome.  And there were SO many like us, a Dad in their 40's or whatever with their teen/tween kids, and everybody loved Al.  Truly, his success and longevity, as a total one trick pony, is astounding, and makes me admire him even more.

But I know that didn't help.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by jaydeecrawson Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:09 pm

I've taken my kids to tons of shows

My oldest saw Motorhead two months before Lemmy died

My daughter has seen ghost twice...

my oldest son also been black metal festivals out in the forest and seen King Diamond and Slayer tons of times

jaydeecrawson
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by My Awesome Timothy Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am

In February my son and daughter came with me to see P.O.D, they seemed to enjoy it.  My daughter has also seen Alice Cooper with me which she thoroughly enjoyed!!!  Rolf 1 Rolf 2 lol!
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:36 am

Really depends on the kid and a show like WatG might have a lot of moshing going on so that needs to be considered.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Black Rider wrote:Really depends on the kid and a show like WatG might have a lot of moshing going on so that needs to be considered.

Yeah. That's the number one concern. This venues is one of 4 owned by the same people all on the same block. I've been to 2 of the others but not this one. I'm curious about the layout. It's almost sold out also so it'll be crowded. In the end, as much as I want my son along for the experience we'll leave whenever he's not up for it anymore. I want to see My Epic most so that's top priority. We'll show up a little late and go early I suspect. I've got to preach in the morning anyway. We don't need to be dog tired in the morning.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll probably go to City Rockfest next year if he enjoys this at all. That's a more tame line-up.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:30 pm

My main love of metal came from all the shows I went to as kid

The farthest back show I can remember was being 7 years old and seeing As I Lay Dying and August Burns Red

I actually remember a lot of concerts from circa 07 and 08

Including Scream The Prayer tour and seeing Maylene countless times

So personally I think the concerts at my early age really solidified my taste in music a few years later
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Went together Saturday night and had a good time. Proper ear protection was my biggest worry so buying some nice 30dB ear muffs was the perfect choice (which I was glad he wanted to wear). The venue made it easy to watch from beside the stage so we avoided any moshing. This went too late for him and we left early in Wolves At The Gate's set but I expected that. I was more interested in going with him and him enjoying himself than seeing the whole show. I already loved Comrades sound but they sounded the best by a fair margin.

On an interesting note he spent a lot of time playing the drums the next day and doing metalcore screams instead of singing.  Laughing
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:49 am

I wouldn't take my son, who loves metal, to a metal show until he was nearly an adult. It seemed to me that the environment can be really hard on a child to process and understand. 

However, now he's 20 and we're off to see Warrant and Firehouse this Saturday night!  Rockin Loud
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down