The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about a music label...

Go down

Question about a music label... Empty Question about a music label...

Post by Soldier777 Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:32 pm

I have a question about a music label. Remember the M8/Magdalene Distribution that reissued rare classic Christian Music in the 90s and early 2000? Who started/owned this label?
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Question about a music label... Empty Re: Question about a music label...

Post by Soldier777 Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:54 pm

I found the answer from the Heart of Metal Forum from an interview Matt Hunt of RetroActive Records did back in 2008:

I actually started out as Magdalene Records in 1998. Our first release was Charizma "Rock the World" which is still one of my favorite metal releases. I had no idea what I was doing, but I knew I didn't have time to do the Christian music mail order company Rugged Cross Connections (now called Rugged Cross Music) anymore. The direct sales were too labor intensive. I sold Rugged Cross Connections to Kent Freeman and I decided to leave direct sales to places like Rad Rockers, Blast Beats, and Kent Freeman. So I tried the record business.

I got hooked up with Brad Hamilton from M8 Distribution. We teamed up for a few years with M8 mostly doing the alternative side of things and Magdalene Records mostly doing the hard rock and metal side of things. It worked for a while, but it didn't take long for dealers and Christian Bookstores to owe M8 Distribution a lot of money that was never paid. That made it almost impossible for me to get paid. To make matters worse, M8 made some poor business decisions that ultimately doomed the company. I left the company in 2002 and started a new label called Retroactive Records. At the same time, I started my own distribution company called Brutal Planet Distribution. Brutal Planet Distribution's job is to get releases into the stores.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down