The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked

+44
L8T
Devon Hill
Sir Shred A Lot
Dustofyears
Bahana
Grindboy
average joe
Snert I
Hidgxx
BaleMaster
bgsully
TZ75
Constantine
Son of Nun
Friday13th
Livna
timekeeper
jaqual
Fundy
/<
Markus1987
metaldude
Kerrick
cailen
strangerhoncho
HenrikB
Andreas89
Follower of Jesus
Wigeon
Ammocas
Xid
Black Rider
Tombie
Nelson
alldatndensum
Hardcore Christian
arttieTHE1manparty
eatbugs
Soldier777
crucifyd
Temple of Blood
strype53
MikeInFla
mothy
48 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked Empty Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked

Post by mothy Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:25 pm

was chatting with someone about this a few days ago. I was a big Maiden fan whn I was younger (like alot of us) but really wanted to find something Christian so I remember talking my dad into buy me this Ultimate Metal compilation and the minute Burn came on I was hooked.

What was it that got you into Christian Hard Rock or Metal?
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked Empty Re: Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked

Post by MikeInFla Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:52 pm

Stryper - Reason For The Season EP on vinyl. I had heard of them but had never HEARD them. It was the first Christian Metal band I had ever heard and my friends and I were blown away.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked Empty Re: Your first Christian Metal/Hard Rock release that got you hooked

Post by strype53 Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Soldiers Under Command, 2nd purchase was Bloodgood Detonation and Saint Time's End.  However my next favorite was Whitecross s/t.  I never get tired of that album!
strype53
strype53
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:21 pm

Stryper - In God We Trust
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:05 pm

that is sooooo far back I can't recall for sure. probably something from one of the following:

Petra
Resurrection Band
Servant
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:21 pm

I wasn't all that familiar with Christian rock/hard rock and metal before 1984. For the Christmas of 1984 my parents bought me 2 cassettes: Chris Christian Let the Music Start and Farrell and Farrell Choices which were aduly contemporary or pop. In 1985 I got into rock/hard rock and metal bands like Petra, Daniel Band, Jerusalem, Rez Band and Stryper. I really liked Rez Band Bootleg and Hostage, Daniel Band Run from the Darkness, Stryper The Yellow and Black Attack and Soldiers Under Command.

Last edited by Soldier777 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:38 pm

A compilation called Extremely Loud Guitar.  It had a bunch of weird, obscure bands I'd never heard of.  Bands like Stryper, Bride, Tourniquet, Vengeance Rising, etc.

Before that the hardest think I listened to was Petra - Beyond Belief.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:56 pm

It was a combination of things for me.  One of my best friends had been listening to a lot of the bands I was into in the mid-to-late-80s...Great White, Black N Blue, Manowar, Tesla, etc.  He felt convicted to give up secular music, but wanted to keep listening to that style of music.  He got into bands like Bride, Barren Cross, Saint, and Petra.  One summer we had a job together and I started listening to a lot of his cassettes.  I loved the music, and was even more drawn to the message.  As a result, I went almost strictly Christian metal for about 3 years or so.  So, I would have to say it was Saint's Too Late For Living or Time's End, along with Bride's Live To Die that really got me started.  The first one I picked up on my own was One Bad Pig's Smash.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty
The Strongest Man In The World

http://www.Glitter2Gutter.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:23 am

As a kid I grew up listneing to As I Lay Dying, Demon Hunter, The Showdown, Underoath, Haste The Day

The first album I ever bought with my own money was For Today's Portraits

So I was "hooked" in the sense that I discovered a band on my own and found one of my life long favorites

Coincidentally, Blessed By A Broken Heart, Ultimatum, and Mortification are the bands that got me into pre-2000's Christian Metal
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:53 am

For me, I bought two albums at the same time and that began my foray into Christian metal.  It was Stryper's "To Hell With The Devil" and "Soldiers Under Command".  It would be a couple of years before I would go Christian music only which I did for over twenty years.  Only in the last three or four years have I ventured back out into secular waters, but I still listen to a ton of Christian stuff too.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nelson Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:13 am

It was 1987 and a friend in high school gave me Bloodgood Detination.
Nelson
Nelson
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:37 am

Oh yeah, much like Alldat stated, I am still 60-70% Christian music...at times bordering on being exclusive again. I hear a lot of secular stuff because of my review site, but I don't hang onto it, regardless of how good I think it is. As a father, I am VERY careful about what I expose my kids to.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:46 am

I grew up listening to country and gospel. Then back in the early 80s I spent the summer with my aunt and uncle and became really good friends with their neighbor's kids who were close to my age at the time and they all got me into Petra, Degarmo & Key, Rez, Sweet Comfort Band, and Servant. Never looked back.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Rez Band with Colors, didn't know there was Christian music like that. Then Daniel Band opened the door and the next couple years exploded with Saint and Stryper and …….
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:41 pm

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:Oh yeah, much like Alldat stated, I am still 60-70% Christian music...at times bordering on being exclusive again.  I hear a lot of secular stuff because of my review site, but I don't hang onto it, regardless of how good I think it is.  As a father, I am VERY careful about what I expose my kids to.

Arttie

I don't have kids, so I don't have to worry about that.  I just can't listen to some of the lyrics for very long.  We have made car trips and started listening to Hair Nation on XM.  After about an hour, I switch to something else.  My wife will ask me why. I have to tell her that I can't stand another song about sex with some floosie or about getting an erection.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by arttieTHE1manparty Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Nope, I get it. I don't relate to it any longer. I'll listen to what i regard as "neutral" bands...typically melodic hard rock bands like Journey, House of Lords, Far Cry, LaValle, etc. But, I appreciate Christian music. It speaks to me. And I stay current, also. My Tahoe currently has Disciple, Ledger, 7th Time Down, Skillet, Newsboys, and Ashes Remain in the change. My 7 yr old's first concert was Newsboys and 7eventh Time Down; my 11 yr olds was Disciple, Secenth Day Slumber, Project 86, and Random Hero. We all went to WinterJam last year to see Skillet. It's just what we listen to.

Arttie
arttieTHE1manparty
arttieTHE1manparty

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 pm

My first Christian Hard Rock exposure was Resurrection Band's DMZ.  Stryper's The Yellow And Black Attack came next.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:09 pm

It was Resurrection Band Colours album and also Servant Shallow Water album bought at a local Christian bookstore probably around 1980... My first concert was seeing Rez at Montclair state college a couple months after buying the record. Seeing them play at 12 yrs old, I was completely hooked forever... something I’ll never forget...Then it was Barnabas, Petra, Daniel Band, Saint and a few years later Stryper and Tourniquet ...we are blessed to have all this music!
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:09 pm

Hard to pin point an exact moment. Probably Stryper - Reason for the Season cassette that my older brother let me listen to. Before that, Petra "This Means War" was one of my favorite hard rock finds. After that I got into more main stream 80s metal and then trash with Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax. I think the defining album that got me back into Christian metal was the Hot Metal Summer cassette with Deliverance, Tourniquet and others, and the "Art for the Ears" sampler.
Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:59 pm

This is an easy question for me:  Whitecross’ first s/t album. And to this day it remains one of my all time favorite albums!
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:57 am

Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide. That album was undeniably christian. Such a shame they went another way after that, I couldn't even enjoy that release anymore.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by HenrikB Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:59 am

First one I can remember is Petra's This Means War, but I never bought that album.

Next one I can remember is Stryper's The Yellow and Black Attack, which was actually released earlier, but I didn't hear it until later - and I bought that on vinyl. I must have listened to Reason for the Season a million times. I can actually remember listening to it and moving the needle back to the beginning of the song as soon as the song was finished.

Next big release that actually got me really hooked was Petra's Beyond Belief, which was also the first CD I bought.
HenrikB
HenrikB
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:23 am

I think Petra broke a lot of folk into rock.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:45 pm

I listened to Jerusalem, Petra, Fireworks, David & The Giants, and Resurrection Band circa 1978-1980, but the album I really consider to be my first Christian "Hard Rock" album is Jerusalem's "Warrior".

I don't consider Jerusalem's previous releases, or those by the other mentioned bands, as truly "hard rock" albums. More like rock albums with "hard rock" moments sprinkled in.

My first Christian "metal" album was a trifecta...

Saint "Warriors of the Son"
Stryper " The Yellow and Black Attack"
Messiah Prophet Band "Rock The Flock"

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:48 am

I had heard Petra and Stryper in middle school through youth group friends but thought they were cheesy because I was already into Metallica, Celtic Frost, Exodus, Anthrax, etc.  Lightforce--Mystical Thieves, which I heard in a Christian bookstore, was the first thing I remember thinking was solid.  Then Deliverance--Weapons and Vengeance Rising--Once Dead came along and I was hooked.

strangerhoncho
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next