The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remasters vs Originals

+4
eatbugs
alldatndensum
Kerrick
MikeInFla
8 posters

Go down

Remasters vs Originals Empty Remasters vs Originals

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:25 pm

I see a lot of original releases going for big money, even though there has been a quality remaster/reissue. It's good to know that reissues and remasters don't kill the collectibility of these discs.

I know for me personally, especially for 80's and early 90's music music, I try to buy the original if it is affordable and sounds decent. There is something about having the actual disc in hand from that era that brings a smile to me (yeah, weird, I know Embarassed ). On the negative side, usually to acquire the original means getting it used, and you have no idea who has been handling it previously...and now it's in my hands...yuck.. Shocked ....I wonder how many traces of urine are on used discs since so many guys don't wash their hands after going to the restroom pig. I think I just made myself sick  pale

Anyway, I still buy remasters, quite a few of them Wink . Often even when I have the original if the remaster has enough to draw me in.

My favorite type of remaster is when it has a couple of new recordings (like some of the Daniel Band releases), or some previously unreleased tracks, or some quality live tracks.

However, I prefer all of the bonus material to be on a second disc by itself (in a double cd case, not in a separate cardboard sleeve) and for the first disc to be the same # of songs and order as the original release.

I also love anthology type of releases (Eternal Ryte, Malachia)

Obviously, a lot depends on how good the original source is, and how good the remaster is, but do you guys have a preference?

Back to top Go down

Remasters vs Originals Empty Re: Remasters vs Originals

Post by MikeInFla Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Most of the time I just want a copy of if and the remasters are usually easier to get (Fear Not, RECON, etc). Sometimes remasters are too loud but for the most part I am ok with them. I like the fact that most remasters have updated liner notes so I guess I have to say I prefer remasters. I also enjoy the bonus cuts, but some not so much (like on MegaDeth "The Final Kill" I listened to the VHS dubbed songs once and will prob never listen again but I enjoy the remixed songs and remastering).
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:43 pm

LOL well now I'm never going to buy used CDs again either!    No

I think I decided not to care about whether it's the original or remaster because I subconsciously realized it'd affect my bank account too severely if I did care haha.  I'm generally with you Dean: some bonus material is great but so long as it doesn't detract from the feel/vision/what-have-you of the original version.  I've seen it done on occasion that the bonus track(s) will be inserted into the middle of the album so it still closes with that epic or ballad or whatever.  I appreciate that.  Or I had a few Judas Priest remasters with bonus tracks tacked on at the end that were sometimes among my favorite songs on those albums.  And they were fitting closers, so they actually enhanced the overall feel/flow of the albums (IMO, of course).

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:01 pm

Kerrick wrote:LOL well now I'm never going to buy used CDs again either!    No

I think I decided not to care about whether it's the original or remaster because I subconsciously realized it'd affect my bank account too severely if I did care haha.  I'm generally with you Dean: some bonus material is great but so long as it doesn't detract from the feel/vision/what-have-you of the original version.  I've seen it done on occasion that the bonus track(s) will be inserted into the middle of the album so it still closes with that epic or ballad or whatever.  I appreciate that.  Or I had a few Judas Priest remasters with bonus tracks tacked on at the end that were sometimes among my favorite songs on those albums.  And they were fitting closers, so they actually enhanced the overall feel/flow of the albums (IMO, of course).

How about it!!  When you read about all the weird places they find urine traces after looking at things with ultraviolet, it does get pretty repulsive..  Suspect  

As for the placement of the bonus tracks, the band probably has a lot of influence with that. I am sure that a remaster with the band being involved probably comes out better than a 3rd party doing it on their own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:19 am

I only buy used CD's for the urine traces.  Smile

Seriously though, if it is an album I really like I want both the original and the remaster, especially if it comes in a box set. Most of the time I find that I prefer the original or cannot tell the difference, apart from the remaster being LOUDER.

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:44 am

The big kicker for me with remasters is the inclusion of quality bonus tracks.  I didn't care for a big part of the Malachi release as several of those songs were repeats and slightly different versions.  Who needs that?  I don't care about live tracks as most of those sound horrible anyway.  Unreleased, good quality studio or demo tracks work great like with the first Ransom record.

If I have the original and they just do a remaster with no bonus material, then I am going to skip it.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:51 am

Erasmus wrote:I only buy used CD's for the urine traces.  Smile

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:38 am

Maybe they were just trying to wash their discs cheap.

I only need (and can afford) songs once.  If I have an original I don't need a remaster and I won't pay for a whole CD again just for 1-2 bonus tracks.  If anything, 1-2 songs are annoying because that means fans like me would never get to hear them.  If there are going to be bonus tracks I'd also prefer an entire extra disc.  That way I can justify a second purchase of the CD as I'm getting a whole extra disc of music.

On the other hand, if I DON'T have a copy of the CD (or have it on an old cassette) then I would get the remaster with or without bonus tracks.  I care less about collectability than I do about getting the music.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:50 am

Depends. The Barnabas remasters are very good and I appreciate them being cheaper then the originals. The Daniel Band has added some great songs so it's the dilemma eatbugs talked about.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:28 am

eatbugs wrote:Maybe they were just trying to wash their discs cheap.

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:30 am

alldatndensum wrote:The big kicker for me with remasters is the inclusion of quality bonus tracks.  I didn't care for a big part of the Malachi release as several of those songs were repeats and slightly different versions.  Who needs that?  I don't care about live tracks as most of those sound horrible anyway.  Unreleased, good quality studio or demo tracks work great like with the first Ransom record.

If I have the original and they just do a remaster with no bonus material, then I am going to skip it.

See, I think the Malachia release was really well done.

Disc 1 has both albums on it, and yes there is some duplication there but that is not the fault of the re-issuer...that is how those two releases were originally.

Disc 2 only has a couple of dups, but it has a lot of songs on it that you can't get anywhere else..and even has their original singer...which is very cool

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:28 pm

What sucks is sometimes the only way to find them any more at a reasonable price is the get the re release, remaster ...whatever it is and your stuck with extra tracks for no reason etc. Man there is alot of releases I would love but some are going for $100+ which is a no go for me.

I just wish my originals (1st pressing) of Horde - Hellig Uvsart, Detritus - Perpetual Defiance, Believer - Sanity Obscured and many others hadnt been stolen from my brothers car. Man I could make a mint on soe of them nowadays.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:01 pm

This is an interesting thread. This has ben discussed on previous threads in the past and I think I started 1 or 2 of them. ROXX, Boones and Girder has done a great job in the past in working with the artists and labels in remastering/reissuing and recording classic releases and is both a blessing and at times is a pain.

I have been into Christian Rock/Hard Rock and Metal since 1985 and since then due to not having the funds from being a teenager and only getting an allowance or working crappy part time jobs you miss out on bands that you don't care for, or you want to get and don't have the money or you never heard of them until years later and find out in recent years the albums are out of print and cost a lot of $$$. A couple of bands that I didn't care for back in the day were Ransom and Crystavox. A couple of bands that were great/decent but never bought the albums were Joshua and Zion. An artist that were partly under the radar where I never realized how good he was until years later form research on the internet were Rob Rock.

What the major Chrisitan labels don't realize like they do in mainstream music is when a classic band is not trendy enough, the CCM market have that Hollywood mentality will move on to the next big Christian artist or trendy music wave like modern pop or praise and worship. They are not interested in repressing/reissuing the classic bands like 70s earlly 80's Petra, Rez Band, Darrell Mansfield, D an K, Deliverance, Ken Tamplin, Guardian, Holy Soldier, etc. Once an album is out of print it's gone until you see a used copy on ebay or discogs that is hopefully is for a decent price. Fortunately places like Boones and ROXX dies quality work and have and will reissue the legacy bands that we have missed out on years ago. I missed out on Crystavox and Ransom years ago in the early 90's and I have the reissued albums in my collection. I have the original and reissued version of The Bottom Line on vinyl and CD and I am currently trying to sell the original Word/Ocean version. Even though I have a job I'm still selective in what I buy where I live in Canada and the Canadian dollar is not the best against the US dollar and I have to import many of these released from the US. I try to order at least 3-5 items at one time so I can balance the shipping over more items and so each one can average out including shipping around $22 Canadian. If I like an album enough I will buy it on both vinyl and CD at the same time or I will buy the CD first and will get the vinyl later.

Now that the pros have been said, now the cons. I have the duplicates in my collection where I may have different versions of the same album with differences in artwork where one is a domestic pressing and the other one is a foreign pressing or a new reissue. I'm trying to cut down or be more selective in buying the reissues. Also, what I will do is if a new reissue is released and I have another version, I will still get the reissue if I can sell the older version I already have. For example, I ordered the 2 Shout albums It Won't Be Long and In Your Face. I already have the original CDs. Where the newer versions are remastered and a booklet, I may keep the originals or sell them, I haven't decided. I know there will be a reissue of Ken Tamplin and Axe to Grind which I will also likely get. I bought it used and the blue artwork has signs of wear so I need an upgrade.

Another example is the Daniel Band Straight Ahead and Run From the Darkness. I have the 2006 Retroactive CD versions with the 4 page insert with the bonus demos and the Walk on the Water video on RFTD. I don't care for the demos as they are on the other albums anyway. I sold Straight Ahead to someone else who was big into classic secular Christian rock/hard rock and metal that has worked with my special needs son occasionally. He was going to give it as a gift to someone but he liked the CD so much he decided to keep it for himself. He said he would like to have the Run from the Darkness CD when he gets the funds. I will be getting the 2018 Retroactive version of these albums.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:27 am

I am very much looking forward to the Whiteray reissues when they come.  This was the band that morphed into Killed By Cain.  It will be a double CD.  They are hoping to add some bonus tracks, but that may/may not happen.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:53 pm

In continuing with what I said above...

Another example is the Daniel Band Straight Ahead and Run From the Darkness. I have the 2006 Retroactive CD versions with the 4 page insert with the bonus demos and the Walk on the Water video on RFTD. I don't care for the demos as they are on the other albums anyway. I sold Straight Ahead to someone else who was big into classic secular Christian rock/hard rock and metal that has worked with my special needs son occasionally. He was going to give it as a gift to someone but he liked the CD so much he decided to keep it for himself. He said he would like to have the Run from the Darkness CD when he gets the funds. I will be getting the 2018 Retroactive version of these albums.

I didn't get the Last Train reissue and I may not get the self titled by Holy Soldier. I have different versions of each on CD: The original Myrrh pressings and a Japanese version of Last Train and the Silent Man Brazilian import of the debut.

Most reissued I already have. I will get the reissue if I don't have the original or I may get the reissue if have the original and I can sell it.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing1134 Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:30 am

alldatndensum wrote:I am very much looking forward to the Whiteray reissues when they come.  This was the band that morphed into Killed By Cain.  It will be a double CD.  They are hoping to add some bonus tracks, but that may/may not happen.

Who is releasing it? Retroactive? Roxx?
Pershing1134
Pershing1134
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:08 am

Pershing1134 wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:I am very much looking forward to the Whiteray reissues when they come.  This was the band that morphed into Killed By Cain.  It will be a double CD.  They are hoping to add some bonus tracks, but that may/may not happen.

Who is releasing it? Retroactive? Roxx?

Retroactive is doing it.  They are still waiting on some bonus tracks that the band has, but only one member of the band is actively trying to help anymore.  If they can't get the bonus material, then they may go ahead and put this out as is.  I'd be okay with either.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:48 pm

So let's say you don't already own the album...

The original is easily available at around the same price, and the reissue has no additional tracks, but is remastered. 

Do you get the reissue or do you go for the original as a collectible/original?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:50 am

Whichever sounds better!  Sometimes the remasters don't sound as good as the originals.  Though I'm no audiophile anyways so maybe whichever one has free shipping haha.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down