The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remembering the Seventy Sevens self titled album.

+2
eatbugs
Black Rider
6 posters

Go down

Remembering the Seventy Sevens self titled album. Empty Remembering the Seventy Sevens self titled album.

Post by Black Rider Sun 18 Mar 2018 - 8:37

From back when bands played instruments and were allowed creativity. This album, imo, is as good as anything in secular music in this style. I wonder if there will be bands like this anymore in christian music?
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Remembering the Seventy Sevens self titled album. Empty Re: Remembering the Seventy Sevens self titled album.

Post by eatbugs Sun 18 Mar 2018 - 13:22

Which self-titled album?  lol!

If you mean the 1987 album I agree.  Didn't the story go that the label (Island Records) decided to push U2 instead of The 77's?

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Remembering the Seventy Sevens self titled album. Empty Re: Remembering the Seventy Sevens self titled album.

Post by alldatndensum Sun 18 Mar 2018 - 15:26

Black Rider wrote:From back when bands played instruments and were allowed creativity. This album, imo, is as good as anything in secular music in this style. I wonder if there will be bands like this anymore in christian music?

I have a couple of albums of theirs once they went in a blues rock album but never heard their early stuff.  I am checking it out now on YouTube.

Will there be more bands like this in Christian music?  There probably are, but not put out by mainstream labels.  Until artists begin creating without worrying about what sells, using social media and street teams to promote themselves, quit trying to get label attention, doing shows wherever they can instead of mounting big tours, and find way to connect with fans personally, we won't have anything worth hearing anymore.  We will just keep getting the same ol' tired P&W clones that CCM radio is full of.

I am ready for real rock music, new metal acts, new pop artists that actually play instruments, etc. but that have expressions of their faith, sing of the wonders of Jesus, admit their failures and tempations, talk about real pains and struggles, etc.  I don't see the Christian labels doing that.  They just want people who will sing songs that church worship bands can easily learn.  Bah humbug.

Not to make this about me, but this is part of the reason why I started doing the electric blues.  Sure, part of it was the cigar box guitars I started building.  I also wanted to make music where I could do my own guitar work since I can't find musicians locally.  I wanted to tell stories, admit failures, sing about Jesus, and use my twisted sense of humor.  I felt that the bluesy style would give me the flexiblity to do this and not have to worry that my voice wasn't really suited for metal. I just wanted to make music that was raw but real.  I won't get signed as I am not that great or even very young anymore. But, I can make the art I want to make, have fun expressing myself, and hopefully glorify the Lord by encouraging others.

Where are the artists who really want to do that???
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun 18 Mar 2018 - 15:49

I don't know. The secular world had a big indie movement that has bands that seem to want to bypass the cookie cutter sound but not much in christian music. There's little creativity these days.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Sun 18 Mar 2018 - 16:28

Christian rock music is as indie as it has been since the Jesus Music days.  Someday us future old timers will be posting about indie CDs from our collections the way people post about Jesus Music records on those Facebook pages today.

That said, there are "mainstream" Christian bands still making a living out there.  Most of these are "Christians-in-a-band" types but I do hear Switchfoot, Skillet, POD, etc. on local rock radio.

Will there be another original, cutting-edge, under appreciated band like The 77's again.  There probably is.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon 19 Mar 2018 - 8:02

Where are all these indie bands that have a somewhat unique sound? I'm not finding them.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon 19 Mar 2018 - 15:06

If ya'll find some,let us know.  Right now, you could do just about anything previously popular style and sound unique. You wouldn't even have to be original or innovative.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtreads Sat 24 Mar 2018 - 0:27

I have a hard time getting into "ping pong over the abyss" for some reason, but love every other 77's album up to Pray naked - which I like the most. Lost them after that.
bigtreads
bigtreads
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by srguenther Sun 25 Mar 2018 - 23:33

Island records was going to go bankrupt and not able to promote The Joshua Tree, so U2 was not obligated to give them the album. But, they not only gave the label the album, they also gave them enough money to promote the album. When the Joshua Tree started climbing the charts, the label focused on it because it was the only way they could stay afloat. Unfortunately, that meant that the 77's and a few other groups got lost in the shuffle...

There is alot more detail in U2 At The End Of The World by Bill Flanagan. Great read overall about the 1991 to 1995 era with alot of great back stories like that one.....

srguenther
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by bjorn agin Fri 8 Jun 2018 - 14:49

One of my favorite bands of all time. They are tragically underappreciated by both the Christian and secular world.
bjorn agin
bjorn agin
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down