The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Stryper Song "Take It To The Cross"

+26
jeffcorpse
Hardcore Christian
Follower of Jesus
Black Rider
Fundy
WildWorld
alldatndensum
Andreas89
jaydeecrawson
Galations6.7
Livna
Temple of Blood
Fearless For The King
oldschooldoom
metaldude
deathisgain
Superjuice
exo
Airola
heck
cailen
eatbugs
bodachi
Pershing1134
JPK72
Friday13th
30 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New Stryper Song "Take It To The Cross"  - Page 2 Empty Re: New Stryper Song "Take It To The Cross"

Post by WildWorld Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:10 pm

The issue I have with the chorus is that it's just shouted with no attempt at melody. Even at their heaviest, Stryper made sure to have good melodic choruses.
Edit: Now that I think about it, it reminds me of the choruses on Metallica's St. Anger album, "Purify" in paticular. Still, the verses are good, so it does have that going for it.

Last edited by WildWorld on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

New Stryper Song "Take It To The Cross"  - Page 2 Empty Re: New Stryper Song "Take It To The Cross"

Post by Fundy Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:17 pm

I thought it was great, although I just listened to it on my small TV so can't comment on the sound issues!
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:40 pm

WildWorld wrote:The issue I have with the chorus is that it's just shouted with no attempt at melody. Even at their heaviest, Stryper made sure to have good melodic choruses.

This and that it's just the title repeated over and over.  We all know Michael Sweet can write better lyrics than that (even the verses prove it).

I like how heavy it is and I like how it's accented with harsh vocals.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:04 pm

WildWorld wrote:The issue I have with the chorus is that it's just shouted with no attempt at melody.

Bingo!
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:00 pm

exo wrote:After 5 listens....this is essentially Children of the Grave mashed up with a random Fight track, and honestly, the arrangement is just NOT good and the hope I had that it'd grow on me has waned significantly.

I'll appreciate the attempt at something new even if I'm not necessarily fond of the result.

Also, the first 4 listens were out of a phone speaker, that last listen was with the phone plugged into my car stereo......and I IMMMEDIATELY understood the production complaints.

I want to like it but it ain't happening. This is probably the only Stryper song after "The Reign" that I would happily press skip on. Mind you there is a huge catalogue of songs so a misstep here and there is expected. 

I really think it is time that Stryper uses an outside producer. This song needs serious bottom end which is lacking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:06 pm

You can download the track on itunes and Amazon. Unfortunately, it does have the one minute of ambiance at the beginning. 

As for the production, I have noted that Fallen was a bit high on the treble/drum cymbals, but yeah this could really use some bass. The guitars also have a high tone even when chugging.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Is this really the final mix? It's like a demo version.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Apparently, the harsh vocals were performed by Matt Bachand (guitars, backing vox) of Shadows Fall......and it was annoying fed 6 weeks back and we all somehow missed it was a "thing"...LOL

http://bravewords.com/news/stryper-new-album-to-feature-death-metal-guest-vocals-by-shadows-fall-guitarist-matt-bachand

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:06 am

I have mixed feelings about this one.

What I like:
- The heaviness...haven't heard Stryper this heavy, maybe ever
- The lyrics...excellent!
- Lots of reverb on the drums - they're getting closer and closer to that big 80's drum sound that I love
- Wililngness to experiment
- The growls at the end - I think this is awesome, and I don't even like death metal

What I don't like:
- The guitars are buried in the mix
- The chorus is just awful
- The distortion on the second half of the guitar solo
- The 1:20 ambiance in the beginning (please, oh please let this be a separate track on the CD)

I'll give the rest of the album a chance on Spotify, but based on what I've heard with this song, I will not be running out and buying it the day of release like I did NMHTP and Fallen. That makes me sad. But hopefully the rest of the album will be better. There were a few songs on those last two albums that I'm not too keen on, too. Few albums can be perfect. If the rest of it is good, I'll buy it.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:41 am

Wow!!! I just read each comment on this thread and I am simply stocked!

I just didn't realize it would be a love or hate song (much more hate than love).

I am actually impressed by the song and it is the best stryper song I've heard in ages. I was sick tired of them trying to do the same kind of song over and over again.
It was about time to do something diferent.
The only complaint I can understand is about the chorus verse being repeated over and over again, but Stryper was never a good reference in lyrics for me. In Stryper cathalogue, there are a few good lyrics, many lyrics that are "ok" and a few awful lyrics.
That said, when it comew to Stryper, I don't have great expectations about the lyrics and this one is fine for me.

My comment was based on a first listen. I will listen to it a few times more and try to check the production, the bass and every

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:06 am

I like that they are doing something different as well.

I agree the chorus was abrupt at first, but I like it
I can see it growing on me, I just think it might get annoying after awhile, with how much it is repeated already

The growl vocals are interesting, they are not bad, but they are not as major as I thought they would be, they really played it down, to not alienate too many fans, which I get

Overall, good song, gonna pre-order, but definitely just a average modern Stryper song, in terms of replay-ability
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffcorpse Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 am

I look forward to this! Glad they're staying heavy and experimenting.
jeffcorpse
jeffcorpse
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobi Elektrik Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:27 am

TAKE ME TO THE BUS! TAKE ME TO THE BUS!!!
Tobi Elektrik
Tobi Elektrik
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm

I saw this over on CHM (go figure Razz )

I realized it had'nt been posted here yet

Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:58 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Awful!

LOL!

Classic ToB reaction.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by heck Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:00 pm

The tune should be serious but the “chorus” makes me LAUGH every single time. BUT if I had to choose between this and a crappy ballad (ex: All Over Again) I choose THIS.

heck
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 pm

After a couple more listens I don't dislike it as much as I originally did.

Mmmmm, Chicken in the Crust.

Back to top Go down

Post by HeavyLighter Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 pm

I love the way Sweet uses his voice. He is still great singer and age doesn´t seem to bite it.

But... the chorus is a total turn off for me. I usually love when bands are stepping outside of their comfort zones, but this isn´t working.

But this is just one song from the album. I´d love to hear more.

HeavyLighter
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:46 am

I was just thinking about how most of you grew up with a so-called metal gods band whose one of its most popular song has nothing in the choruses but repeteadly saying "breaking the law".

Now you criticize Stryper for doing the something similar.

Can someone explain this???

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:44 am

Thiago-Brazil wrote:I was just thinking about how most of you grew up with a so-called metal gods band whose one of its most popular song has nothing in the choruses but repeteadly saying "breaking the law".

Grew up during that timeframe, I didn't like 80's Priest until 2007, still prefer the Ripper era to anything prior to Painkiller, and out of the 80's stuff, my favorite album is Turbo.  Heresy, I know....

I think most people are complaining about the EXECUTION of the chorus, rather than JUST the repetitive nature of it.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:57 pm

exo wrote:
Thiago-Brazil wrote:I was just thinking about how most of you grew up with a so-called metal gods band whose one of its most popular song has nothing in the choruses but repeteadly saying "breaking the law".

Grew up during that timeframe, I didn't like 80's Priest until 2007, still prefer the Ripper era to anything prior to Painkiller, and out of the 80's stuff, my favorite album is Turbo.  Heresy, I know....

I think most people are complaining about the EXECUTION of the chorus, rather than JUST the repetitive nature of it.
Repetitive is sometimes good or bad, sometimes it makes it super catchy

This chorus is already slightly annoying for me, without it being repeated a bunch of times

Anyway still a good song
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:10 pm

At least Breaking the Law's chorus flowed naturally with the rest of the song. This song sounds like it's going to build up to a dramatic chorus, then you get something that sounds like it belongs on Metallica's St. Anger album (only with real drums).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:45 pm

On first listen, I do NOT like that chorus.
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:18 am

exo wrote:

Spot on to the last commenter
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Fearless For The King Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:40 pm

This song sounds like it's going to build up to a dramatic chorus, then you get something that sounds like it belongs on Metallica's St. Anger album (only with real drums).

It's not that bad!  lol!
Fearless For The King
Fearless For The King
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next