The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30 Years Ago Def Leppard released "Hysteria."

+6
WildWorld
Follower of Jesus
11razorwire
alldatndensum
Superjuice
PlaceOfASkull
10 posters

Go down

30 Years Ago Def Leppard released "Hysteria." Empty 30 Years Ago Def Leppard released "Hysteria."

Post by PlaceOfASkull Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 pm

Well I'm a day late on this one.
I saw them on this tour with Tesla.
My friend and I tried to get scalper tickets after it started but it did not work and plus we didn't care about Tesla.
We ended up buying tickets at the box office. This is not an album I listen to much. I know it was a huge hit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteria_(Def_Leppard_album)
Hysteria is the fourth studio album by English hard rock band Def Leppard, released on 3 August 1987 through Mercury Records and reissued on 1 January 2000. It is Def Leppard's best-selling album to date, selling over 25 million copies worldwide, including 12 million in the US, and spawning seven hit singles. The album charted at #1 on both the Billboard 200 and the UK Albums Chart.[2][3]
Hysteria was produced by Robert John "Mutt" Lange. The title of the album was thought up by drummer Rick Allen, referring to his 1984 auto accident and the ensuing worldwide media coverage surrounding it. It is also the last album to feature guitarist Steve Clark before his death, although songs co-written by him would appear on the band's next album, Adrenalize.[4]
The album is the follow-up to the band's 1983 breakthrough PyromaniaHysteria's creation took over three years and was plagued by delays, including the aftermath of the 31 December 1984 car accident that cost drummer Rick Allen his left arm. Subsequent to the album's release, Def Leppard published a book entitled Animal Instinct: The Def Leppard Story, written by Rolling Stone magazine Senior Editor David Fricke, on the three-year recording process of Hysteria and the tough times the band endured through the mid-1980s.
Hysteria has earned critical acclaim from a number of sources. In 1988 Q magazine readers voted it as the 98th Greatest Album of All Time, while in 2004, the album was ranked at #464 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.[5]
Lasting 62 and a half minutes, the album was, at the time, one of the longest albums ever issued on a single vinyl record.

PlaceOfASkull
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

30 Years Ago Def Leppard released "Hysteria." Empty Re: 30 Years Ago Def Leppard released "Hysteria."

Post by Superjuice Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:37 pm

My favorite song on here is "Women" and it has that giant drum sound to define the 80's.  The rest of what I can say will be negative and it's getting too late here for that effort.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

30 Years Ago Def Leppard released "Hysteria." Empty Re: 30 Years Ago Def Leppard released "Hysteria."

Post by alldatndensum Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:12 am

I wore this album out when it was released.  I still like some of the songs, but I prefer their first few albums as they sound more metal".  It is still a fun listen, but I just can't say that I love this anymore.  They definitely went to the pop rock side with this release.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 11razorwire Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:36 am

I can remember hit after hit on the radio from this album. I do like it a lot, but it was sad they lost their edge starting with this album.
11razorwire
11razorwire
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:37 pm

I love the sound of this record, even to this day. What I don't love are the lyrics.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Best song on the album IMO is "Gods of War". Love that song (In fact, it's actually my fav Def Leppard song).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:55 pm

I agree with the post above. God's of War is an important song written during the Cold War and important today regarding the violence of Islam. There are some really good songs on the album. Despite this the fact that this album lost some of the agressive edge of the previous ones, a few not so great songs like Pour Some Sugar, Excitable and Run Riot and the hedonistic lyrics, some of the song writing and production served as a template for other artists. From the documentaris there were several guitar harmonies going through out some of the songs. 

Also, they took the agressiveness of hard rock like AD/DC  and combined it with the slick production of bands like Queen, Journey and Foreigner. Before you know it, in the 80's and early 90's  every hard rock band wanted that same production that bands like Def Leppard with Mutt Lang, Bon Jovi and Motley Crue had with Bruce Fairbain and Metallica did with Bob Rock. These bands paid a fortune for their sound and other bands in secular and Christian music was able to get a similar sound with less money. Producers like the Elefante brothers David Zaffiro and a few others that I can't remember unintentionally or unitentionally had that great thick sound.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:29 pm

Thanks for making me feel very old.

Last edited by Black Rider on Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 am

To be fair, there were plenty of ultra-slick hard rock albums before Hysteria. A year before we had Slippery When Wet, To Hell With the Devil, and Final Countdown, before that there was 1984, Midnight Madness, and of course, Pyromania, you could even go back to the 1970s and look at Kiss (and if you consider them hard rock, Boston as well). All Hysteria did was simply adding a few more layers to a sound that was already there (now admittedly, there were some mainstream hard rock acts who still had a harder sound like Ratt and Dokken and W.A.S.P., but by 1986-87 even those bands slightly softened up).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:07 am

I only recently discovered this band and album. I really don't mind me some 80s pop rock, I even love it. So... Very Happy
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeInFla Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:47 am

Brings back some high school memories.... I remember the first single "Women" and thought it was OK. Was at the TVA Fair in Knoxville and someone was selling bootleg cassettes. I didn't know they were bootleg at the time, I just knew they were cheap so I bought this for $5 at the fair. The tape was lousy quality but I wore it out then bought the "official" version. I thought "Women" was just OK but I loved the rest of it. My girlfriend at the time was creeped out by the begining of "Exciteable" for some reason haha.
MikeInFla
MikeInFla
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down