The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Hill to Die Upon getting BLATANTLY ripped off.....

+3
Black Rider
Temple of Blood
exo
7 posters

Go down

A Hill to Die Upon getting BLATANTLY ripped off..... Empty A Hill to Die Upon getting BLATANTLY ripped off.....

Post by exo Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:09 am

Adam Cook just posted about this a little while ago.  A UK band has literally ripped off Prometheus Rebound note for note, riff for riff, slowed it down, and claimed I is their own song.......This type of stuff is just RIDICULOUS. 

I sorta hope somewhere like Blabbermouth or MetalSucks picks up on this......

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

A Hill to Die Upon getting BLATANTLY ripped off..... Empty Re: A Hill to Die Upon getting BLATANTLY ripped off.....

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:31 am

Can you post both songs so we can compare?

Should be grounds for a lawsuit if true.  And any band who tried to do such should be shamed out of existence.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

A Hill to Die Upon getting BLATANTLY ripped off..... Empty Re: A Hill to Die Upon getting BLATANTLY ripped off.....

Post by exo Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:38 am

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:21 am

Wow, super obvious. Hope this gets taken care of.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Statement from Sathamel on the situation.......sucks for all involved.....

https://www.facebook.com/sathamelofficial/posts/2000575110178640

"Statement regarding A Hill to Die Upon

First and foremost, due to recent developments "Despair" will not be released.

It was brought to our attention that the song The Evangelist is in fact property of the above band. 
A song named Prometheus Rebound was presented to us late last night, along with (rightly so) a tirade of hate towards Sathamel.

When preparing songs for this album portions of songs/ full songs were pieced together from previously written "original" (we believed) material from formative days 2010-2011 along with previous members. The songs were scrapped before material was created for our eponymous EP. 

Never had I heard of A Hill To Die Upon and definitely would not have pushed the release, or even attempted to record.

I personally recalled on the previous ideas and completed the songs unknowing that they were in fact, stolen.

Upon checking further material it became apparent more than one song was used.

Although blame could be passed to previous members, I am firmly resting this on my own head and it is not a reflection on the rest of the band. 

It is for this reason, that we shall not be releasing "Despair" and we shall be issuing refunds to all those who pre-ordered and we have agreed on ceasing activity henceforth for an indefinite period. 

I wholeheartedly apologise to not only to A Hill To Die Upon, their label, fans, our supporters and my band mates for this error.

I on behalf of the band am deeply sorry for this mess and urge you all to support A Hill To Die Upon and thank them for their understanding. 

Nathan."

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Wow that's a blatant rip off

but sucks a band is done because of it
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:15 pm

I DO understand how it happens.  if you're pulling riffs from a pile of stuff from practices 5-6 years old and an ex-member brought some stuff in and didn't tell anyone that the riffs he was jamming were another band's song.  I mean, WE all know who A Hill to Die Upon is, but in the grand scheme of things, they're a small band on a niche label, and it's ENTIRELY possible for the scenario to play out EXACTLY as Sathamel claims.......and it absolutely SUCKS for them.  

The AHTDU guys are being VERY understanding and don't want folks ripping/smearing the other band.  Michael is even encouraging folks to check out their other material.........

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Statement from AHTDU:

https://www.facebook.com/ahilltodieuponband/posts/10155522496938535

Some of you may or may not be aware of the situation with band Sathamel. Basically, they released a song that had uncanny resemblance to "Prometheus Rebound." 

Weird. 

Anyway, we've talked to them and they have been super cool about the whole thing. We aren't gonna point fingers or blame anybody, and they are pulling the song from online. 

Everyone should know that, as bizarre as this whole situation is, AHTDU does not hold any anger towards Sathamel. It was super weird, but it's in the past.

At this point, I would to say that the members I have contacted are SUPER cool dudes and the other tunes I've heard are righteous black/death metal. They aren't gonna live it down (at least for a while), so I urge everyone to be kind. 

So, go listen to "Eternal Hunters" by Sathamel and like their page. 

This may be black metal, but it's still just rock n' roll. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DGJWGYNlB_w

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Markus1987 Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:24 am

That was actually pretty nicely handled by AHTDU. Some others could've been pointing their fingers to the band, but they chose another way to handle this. This reminded me of John 13:34-35, which says: “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
Markus1987
Markus1987
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:27 am

An early band I was in was looking for another guitarist. One guy who auditioned said that he even wrote his own songs which he could bring to the table.

He then starting playing a Larry Norman song but with different lyrics. When we said that we knew the song and all he had done was change the lyrics he, very embarrassed, left.

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:52 am

Nicely handled on both sides.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorship Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:36 am

I mean... I kinda understand how it could happen... if it was just the chorus... but the whole thing? On some level maybe, just maybe this was a bit copied? 

Im glad it all worked out.
Gorship
Gorship
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:01 am

Gorship wrote:I mean... I kinda understand how it could happen... if it was just the chorus... but the whole thing? On some level maybe, just maybe this was a bit copied? 

Former member presented an arrangement to the rest of the band 5-6 years ago and nobody in the current band that recorded the material this past December knew he lifted it.  Sathamel have put the brakes on EVERYTHING because it's just blatantly obvious to them that the former member played them for fools, and they've done so at no small financial and emotional toll to themselves.

The AHTDU guys have all been just TREMENDOUS at exhibiting love and grace towards the Sathamel guys, and there has been a bit of a bond formed out of it, where there could have quite easily been a lot of bitterness on both sides.

exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Deepfriar Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:44 pm

Very odd situation but I am grateful that the love of Christ reigns supreme and was displayed.
Deepfriar
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorship Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:14 am

exo wrote:
Gorship wrote:I mean... I kinda understand how it could happen... if it was just the chorus... but the whole thing? On some level maybe, just maybe this was a bit copied? 

Former member presented an arrangement to the rest of the band 5-6 years ago and nobody in the current band that recorded the material this past December knew he lifted it.  Sathamel have put the brakes on EVERYTHING because it's just blatantly obvious to them that the former member played them for fools, and they've done so at no small financial and emotional toll to themselves.

The AHTDU guys have all been just TREMENDOUS at exhibiting love and grace towards the Sathamel guys, and there has been a bit of a bond formed out of it, where there could have quite easily been a lot of bitterness on both sides.

ah that timeline makes better sense.

again - as I said before - glad it all worked out.
Gorship
Gorship
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down