The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

live shows, do you love them or no?

+7
d@v!d
Blake
Follower of Jesus
eatbugs
MegaNorm64
Temple of Blood
crucifyd
11 posters

Go down

live shows, do you love them or no? Empty live shows, do you love them or no?

Post by crucifyd Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:43 pm

to start with, I have tinnitus (ringing of the ears 24/7). if it is a factor or not in this I really don't know since I've had it since I was at least 10-12 years old.

as far as the live show, they have always had a hyped appeal to me. but when I'm actually there I don't really enjoy them that much...the reason being is that I wear earplugs. if I do not wear earplugs for an entire show, I will have annoying/distracting amounts of hearing loss for several days, and certainly ultimately permanent hearing loss over time of too many shows, I assume. I can get a way with a song or two without too much, which lasts about 12 hours.

of course, the problem with earplugs is they make everything sound muffled, and thus...like crap! obviously not ideal, and it really is very disappointing.

if I just get into headbanging, sometimes that overcomes muffled effect...

I think it is the shrill highs of a live show that bother me when I don't wear earplugs (probably obvious). I always try to pull the plugs out of my ear as far as possible to get as close to actual sound as possible but it usually isn't enough to get past the muffling and the disappointment...

maybe there's a different ear plug to use, different place to stand? I don't know.

what's your take?

do you love them, hate them or something else? why?

it probably sounds like a weird question... but oh well, I'm weird... ; )
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

live shows, do you love them or no? Empty Re: live shows, do you love them or no?

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:17 pm

I love live shows, but I agree about the muffled sound/earplug thing.

I wish they made some great earplugs that blocked highs out and left you with a good sound.  I've bought some explensive earplugs that purported to do that to no avail.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

live shows, do you love them or no? Empty Re: live shows, do you love them or no?

Post by MegaNorm64 Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:57 pm

I have to go to every live show I can when a band I like is in town. Being there with a bunch of people who enjoy the music and moshing is too much fun.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:26 am

I love live shows and try to meet the bands afterward for CD insert autographs.  I also enjoy concert photography so I try to get close for that as much as for the "being in the front row" thing.

I don't have hearing issues so that's not a factor for me.

I rarely get to go to shows because I work afternoons and feel obligated to be home with my family on my days off.  I think I've been to 4 concerts in the last 7 years.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:29 am

I like live shows, but I don't love them. First, it's harder to hear and appreciate parts of the music. There might be a cool bass line, or a small solo fill that the can get overshadowed just due to the volume or the crowd. The energy is fun, and it's cool to actually see the band playing the songs. But generally, I far prefer studio albums to a live show.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:35 am

I will wear earplugs from now on. I went to a show in April (The Serpent Stomp) and I ruptured my left ear drum. It was excruciating for the next week. Took awhile to fully heal as I had to keep cotton balls in my left ear all day so a loud noise wouldn't re-rupture it.
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:56 am

crucifyd wrote:to start with, I have tinnitus (ringing of the ears 24/7). if it is a factor or not in this I really don't know since I've had it since I was at least 10-12 years old.

as far as the live show, they have always had a hyped appeal to me. but when I'm actually there I don't really enjoy them that much...the reason being is that I wear earplugs.
Having to wear earplugs have never been a put off to enjoying a good live show. I enjoy live shows because I like to watch the musicians play, especially the guitarists.

if I do not wear earplugs for an entire show, I will have annoying/distracting amounts of hearing loss for several days, and certainly ultimately permanent hearing loss over time of too many shows, I assume. I can get a way with a song or two without too much, which lasts about 12 hours.

of course, the problem with earplugs is they make everything sound muffled, and thus...like crap! obviously not ideal, and it really is very disappointing.
Of course, I think that I can count the number of shows that I've seen that have had good sound that was at a volume that didn't require protection on one hand.

What takes away from a live show for me is that most shows are too loud for the size of the venue/audience. Along with that, a poor sound system, a sound system that has been pushed beyond its limits, and a poor mix makes shows less enjoyable. It really bothers me when the music is so loud that the PA speaks just breaks up. That's the #1 thing that puts a damper on a live show for me.

if I just get into headbanging, sometimes that overcomes muffled effect...

I think it is the shrill highs of a live show that bother me when I don't wear earplugs (probably obvious). I always try to pull the plugs out of my ear as far as possible to get as close to actual sound as possible but it usually isn't enough to get past the muffling and the disappointment...

maybe there's a different ear plug to use, different place to stand? I don't know.

what's your take?

do you love them, hate them or something else? why?
Really, the loss of fidelity from having to wear plugs ranks low in what takes away from the live experience for me.
it probably sounds like a weird question... but oh well, I'm weird... ; )
No, good question/ topic.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:30 am

The energy of the live show and the ability to say that you saw X live is pretty good, but I'm kinda cheap and a lot of shows I just don't think are worth what they charge.  I do miss a good pit though.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:22 am

It's hard to sing/play with earplugs in.  It's hard to gauge how you really sound to your audience.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:55 pm

When I was young, I loved shows for the pits.  Now that I'm old and have to wear earplugs, the music needs to be heavy enough that I can feel it (since I can't really hear much more than the rhythm section) and the band needs to put on a good show -- jumping around or pyrotechnics if a large venue, or animated facial expressions if a small one.  tongue

If they just sit or stand in place, then that show is boring and not worth it.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:23 am

messiaen77 wrote:The energy of the live show and the ability to say that you saw X live is pretty good, but I'm kinda cheap and a lot of shows I just don't think are worth what they charge.  I do miss a good pit though.
Back in the day when you could go to a punk/metal show and see 5 or 6 bands for $5. Yeah, these days arena tickets are unreal, $200 or more for the 'good' seats.

Last year I went with my wife to see Juanes at a small venue. Front seats were around $100 and we got the 'cheap' rear seat at $42+$20 'service' charge. In the end, he puts on a pretty good show and the venue (the mountian winery) is awesome, so it was worth it, but still, so expensive.

Pits stopped being good by the end of the 80's when the jocks discovered metal.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:25 am

Temple of Blood wrote:It's hard to sing/play with earplugs in.  It's hard to gauge how you really sound to your audience.
Yep, but these days they have in ear monitors. I wonder if they also work to protect ones hearing too.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:42 pm

d@v!d wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:The energy of the live show and the ability to say that you saw X live is pretty good, but I'm kinda cheap and a lot of shows I just don't think are worth what they charge.  I do miss a good pit though.
Back in the day when you could go to a punk/metal show and see 5 or 6 bands for $5. Yeah, these days arena tickets are unreal, $200 or more for the 'good' seats.

Exactly.  I found out that The Who was going to be in town not to long ago and I went online to see about maybe getting some tickets and see the 2 remaining members in the band before they completely quit performing live....the cheapest tickets (nose bleed, need binoculars to even see anybody on stage moving etc.) where around $150 each.  Much too rich for my bank account.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:56 pm

I used to go to shows all the time (10 a year maybe). Since I switched to Christian material only, shows in the area have been few and far between in the past 6yrs. I haven't missed it much honestly. When I do go to shows I wear earplugs but tear half of it off and pull it out slightly so I don't muffle all the sound and get enough high end to make everything more audible. 

Love earplugs though for one key reason aside from the general protection and that is because it's easy to block out terrible opening bands. Not destroying my ears listening to things I don't want to hear is a huge positive.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down