The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kickstarter Pledge Rewards

+4
eatbugs
messiaen77
Hardcore Christian
deathisgain
8 posters

Go down

Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Empty Kickstarter Pledge Rewards

Post by deathisgain Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:39 pm

I was talking to some one that is thinking of doing a kickstarter campaign for an album. I told him some of my experiences, my likes and peeves. It made me think of asking everyone here what they liked and didn't like about kickstarter campaigns. So, what have you liked, what have you hated, and what would you like to see from your favorite band?
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Empty Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards

Post by Hardcore Christian Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:11 pm

I have never disliked any KickStarter's or IndieGoGo's

I haven given to quite a few, musically I have backed Fallstar's Future Golden Age, Red's Of Beauty And Rage, and Disciple's Attack, etc.

Non-musically I have helped out Steve Rowe's biography and the Star Trek fan series, Star Trek Continues.

Overall the perks I received were great, in the case of music I usually got a lower package and just received the album, with Fallstar I gave a little extra and got my picture and name in the album liner.

I plan on backing the upcoming Disciple album, and doing a little more just to get something bigger like a flag or shirt or poster or something. I cant wait to see what they offer!
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:11 pm

I have only supported two Kickstarter campaigns and they were both positive experiences.  I think it is important for the artists to communicate with the supporters, particularly if there is some delay in getting the album out.  I'm thinking of the differences between the Steve Taylor album and the Guardian one.  Steve was constantly assuring supporters that they were working to get the album into our ears, Guardian didn't do that and supporters felt like they were getting cheated.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:49 am

First: What messiaen77 said.  I had been hesitant to support bands through Kickstarter because of issues like Guardian and David Benson (remember those threads on this forum?).  I have yet to get music by the estimated delivery date.  Has any band ever met their goal?  Probably but I haven't heard of it.  Late is ok.  Life happens.  Just keep fans informed.

Second: I usually just get the perk for the physical CD.  That's all I want.

Third: my pet peeve is exclusive music.  I didn't support Bloodgood and they gave supporters a song I will now never get to hear.  I did support NYVES and got the deluxe box set with exclusive music that those of you who didn't support won't get to hear.  I usually have discretionary money to spend on music but if I don't then I may permanently miss out on something.  IF a band insists on exclusive music for Kickstarter backers, at very least make that crystal clear when promoting the campaign: I do understand why "now or never" can motivate potential backers.

Fourth: Kickstarter is the way of the future (umm...present) for established bands.  My advice is to get out on as many social media outlets as he can: all of the relevant forums and Facebook groups.  I have missed out on supporting projects because I didn't know about them.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:42 am

HATED:

1.  Taking too long to complete album (example:  Guardian taking two years to finish promised project)

2.  Amounts charged being too high with very little incentive to join.

LOVED:

1.  Seeing bands complete album quickly because they've already started on it when the Kickstarter begins (Bloodgood, Disciple, Decyfer Down, and John Schlitt all did this)

2.  Having a super cheap option to get the CD and dowloads before anyone can purchase the project.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:58 am

I had a reply all typed up and I lost it. Well I will do my best to type it again...

I ran a kickstarter a few years ago for the Repossession Christmas compilation and it failed miserably, so I decided to self-fund the project (a decision I still regret to this day). I have been working on an indiegogo for the last few months that I plan to launch soon and I have been planning it out well in advance. I recommend your friend do the same. Plan out every aspect. Plan the rewards, plan how you will engage your potential backers and you might even consider planning your updates in advance so they can be well thought out.

I also strongly suggest he take a look and become familiar with the Kickstart Joel Hodgson ran for Mystery Science Theater last year:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k

The reason I suggest this is because this campaign is a SHINING example of exactly how to run a campaign. They had constant updates on the campaign page where they engaged backers and potential backers, and also had videos, email updates for backers that included sneak peaks at concept art, told storys of their early years etc. Basically they really engaged the audience a lot. That is probably the most important part is be engaging to the backers.

Set goals. Every week Joel would send out an update to all the backers saying something like "We are currently at $8,000, if we can reach $10,000 in the next 24 hours we will give you a bonus" That's not exact wording, but he would try to motivate people to help reach incremental goals and if it were reached in time he would reveal more information about the project, or more behind the scenes, or even add new rewards etc.

Basically the two keys are keep engaging your audience and urge them to share it and get the word around. Hope it does well

Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:23 am

One other thing that I think Blake is hitting on and I know has come up several times in the many Kickstarter threads that have gone around here is the nature of the beast.  Because a common reward is a copy (digital or physical) of the finished album, it is easy for people to have the mindset that this is just an elaborate presale.  In reality, though, it is an investment scenario.  From the investor's standpoint, when you give money, you expect the results you have been promised.  However, you also have to be willing to accept the possibility that you will never see the return on that investment.  From the other side, the artist has a responsibility to their investors to communicate the status of the project regularly and give revised dates for things as needed.  A whole lot of the Guardian/David Benson mess could have been avoided if they had just communicated.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:47 am

Yeah, a lot of people forget that the point of crowdfunding is to "fund" a project, not get value for your money.

I mean sure its nice to pledge say $10-15 and get a copy of the CD, but that doesn't leave much to be used for actual funding.

That's probably also a common mistake for kickstarter campaigns. Creating your rewards and not taking into account how much it actually costs to make and ship those rewards.

In your goal amount for the campaign you should add on what you think the production of rewards will cost, how much you estimate to ship them and also consider the percentage of those funds kickstarter will take from you at the end and consider adding extra to compensate.
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:14 pm

Thanks guys!

I've participated in two so far, and for the most part received what I paid for. There were a few hiccups, but nothing bad. I've learned enough in this day and age, that nothing goes as planned and that there usually is going to be a delay.

I did tell him that communication is key. One campaign went silent for a while and took time to answer a question I had.

What are things that you would like to receive besides a CD?
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

deathisgain wrote:Thanks guys!

I've participated in two so far, and for the most part received what I paid for. There were a few hiccups, but nothing bad. I've learned enough in this day and age, that nothing goes as planned and that there usually is going to be a delay.

I did tell him that communication is key. One campaign went silent for a while and took time to answer a question I had.

What are things that you would like to receive besides a CD?

Don't just use CDs and other items as rewards. Add personal touches, like maybe one reward could be that contributors will be thanked by name in a youtube video, signed items, higher contributors could even maybe have dinner with the band, or get a phone call from the band.

For example on my indiegogo that I'm doing soon for a car project, one of the high rewards are road trip rewards where I will drive to the donor wherever they are in the US, take them for a ride and take pics with them. Just think of ways that you can make things more personal.
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:39 pm

Even simple things like signed CDs are more personal than just the standard CD you could pick up anywhere.  Plus it is an easy thing to do that doesn't add to the band's costs.  I've also seen things like handwritten lyrics to a song and a drumhead or set of sticks used to record the album.  The Choir even had a level where you got the stems for each song.
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:03 am

I've backed a handful of Kickstarters and for the most part I've been very happy and content with the results.  It's low risk for the "backers" because if it doesn't go through, it's no skin off their back.  However, when the organizer doesn't follow through with their promises... that's no bueno.  So like was stated above, just make sure that you'll actually be able to follow through with whatever perks you offer.  As far as perks go, stuff like this seems pretty tried and true:

-digital copy
-CD
-signed CD
-name in the thank-you notes
-poster/artwork of the album (or other related artwork)
-t-shirt/clothing

You can get more elaborate and have $200+ perks but unless it's some band with a huge cult following, that kind of stuff isn't too realistic I don't think.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Sun May 01, 2016 2:22 pm

Yeah it not too realstic, but it doesnt hurt just in case. Who knows maybe an old rich guy will stumble on it looking for some to support.
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Sun May 01, 2016 3:14 pm

Blake wrote:Yeah it not too realstic, but it doesnt hurt just in case. Who knows maybe an old rich guy will stumble on it looking for some to support.
Razz I always imagine that!!!

When I see a huge amount donated I think, " it couldnt be any average guy, its gotta be a old rich guy" Rolf 1
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Mon May 02, 2016 1:44 am

Blake wrote:Yeah, a lot of people forget that the point of crowdfunding is to "fund" a project, not get value for your money.

I mean sure its nice to pledge say $10-15 and get a copy of the CD, but that doesn't leave much to be used for actual funding.

That's probably also a common mistake for kickstarter campaigns. Creating your rewards and not taking into account how much it actually costs to make and ship those rewards.

In your goal amount for the campaign you should add on what you think the production of rewards will cost, how much you estimate to ship them and also consider the percentage of those funds kickstarter will take from you at the end and consider adding extra to compensate.

Yeah, I'm not saying that!  I just pledge for the physical CD but I hope that pledge amount takes into account ALL of the expenses.  If the total pro-rated overhead for a CD is $12, don't put the pledge amount for it at $12, make it higher.

Using the Possession campaign as an example: I just pledged $20 for the double disc reissue.  No autographs or anything else, that's all I want.  That cost included shipping.  $20 is very reasonable to me for a double disc ($10 per CD worth of music).  I hope he makes money on it, not just breaks even, granted that it's a reissue and he doesn't need to book studio time or hire producers, etc.   Do the math to follow Blake's advice but still keeping it reasonable for guys like me who only want the music.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TheOldMan2084 Mon May 02, 2016 8:18 am

I've only backed a couple of The Choir's albums and it was a pleasant experience. They were really good about updates and everything came out when they said it would. Also, they always had cool incentives even though I could never afford the really cool ones. 

I'll tell ya what though, I don't think I'd ever kickstart a video game or a board game. I've heard some real horror stories there.
TheOldMan2084
TheOldMan2084
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon May 02, 2016 4:14 pm

Disciple go into the studio a week from today according to their Facebook

So I gotta get cash ready for that KicKStarter as well Very Happy
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Blake Tue May 03, 2016 9:00 am

Hardcore Christian wrote:Disciple go into the studio a week from today according to their Facebook

So I gotta get cash ready for that KicKStarter as well Very Happy

Save some for mine too Very Happy
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down