The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE DOOM IN US ALL: A Tribute to Black Sabbath - A project by Ted Kirkpatrick (Tourniquet)

+16
sentient 6
Gorship
messiaen77
deathisgain
Tobi Elektrik
WildWorld
d@v!d
Candlemass
VaughanGF
Hardcore Christian
Airola
Machine Fish
lhversaw
metaldude
Staybrite
buddypng
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

THE DOOM IN US ALL: A Tribute to Black Sabbath - A project by Ted Kirkpatrick (Tourniquet)  - Page 2 Empty Re: THE DOOM IN US ALL: A Tribute to Black Sabbath - A project by Ted Kirkpatrick (Tourniquet)

Post by Tobi Elektrik Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Judged by the original versions it's going to be a 30min CD. Yeah, could be longer, but it's still enough material to justify a release.
I'm really looking forward to this. Normally I'm not a big fan of cover albums but after all these years I'm still not tired of Sabbath cover songs. For example, the "Great Lefty" double CD was really good!
Tobi Elektrik
Tobi Elektrik
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

THE DOOM IN US ALL: A Tribute to Black Sabbath - A project by Ted Kirkpatrick (Tourniquet)  - Page 2 Empty Re: THE DOOM IN US ALL: A Tribute to Black Sabbath - A project by Ted Kirkpatrick (Tourniquet)

Post by messiaen77 Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:48 am

VaughanGF wrote:I would rather something than nothing, but it would be cool if there were at least 8 tracks. I will get it though, looking forward to it
8 tracks?  Does anyone even have something that will play those?

Neutral
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:04 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
VaughanGF wrote:I would rather something than nothing, but it would be cool if there were at least 8 tracks. I will get it though, looking forward to it

Neutral
Laughing
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:56 pm

messiaen77 wrote:

Neutral

I've seen players in the Goodwill.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:09 pm

deathisgain wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:

Neutral

Seriously? I can't even give away tube tv's!
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:06 am

Candlemass wrote:
deathisgain wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:

Neutral

It's been a while, but I would come across them here and there. Funny thing is, I think I read a year or so, that they made a come back with hipsters.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by messiaen77 Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:37 am

deathisgain wrote:
Candlemass wrote:
deathisgain wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:

Neutral

It's been a while, but I would come across them here and there. Funny thing is, I think I read a year or so, that they made a come back with hipsters.
Of course they did.

While vinyl isn't my thing, I can understand the nostalgia for that physical experience and for that particular sound quality.  But why oh why oh why would anyone want to go back to 8 tracks?
messiaen77
messiaen77
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorship Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:55 pm

lhversaw wrote:Meh only 5 songs Ted plays on it just a little, some not so well covered up nudity and I quit listening to sabbath almost 2 years ago after getting tired of the satanic lyrics sooooo..........   I will pass on this one.
Yeh. Ill have to concur here. I would only add for myself this just seems a bit unwise, unequals yokes and such. In saying that I love tourni and Ted so all the best to him.
Gorship
Gorship
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:24 am

metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:41 pm

" a project by Ted Kirkpatrick "

Is this Teds Tribute band, because I didn't get that impression.

....the sample sounds pretty good though.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:39 am

A full song has now been released:

The full album is also now available for download at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Doom-Us-All-Tribute-Sabbath/dp/B01AP3G19U/
There are short samples of each song available too.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by DevZor Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:30 pm

I streamed the whole ep off of google play today. I gotta say I thought Trevor from tfk was an extremely odd choice and it would suck. But I was pleasantly surprised by how well how he did.

The guitar sound on this is absolutely massive and I wish Tony sounded more like this on 13.
DevZor
DevZor
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by oldschooldoom Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:19 am

I see that Ted put all songs on YouTube on Jan 19th
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Kirkpatrick Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:36 am

Hey CMR - here's a post that might be helpful that I posted a while back on Facebook, where you can always see/hear all the latest Tourniquet stuff ... thanks for your interest! https://www.facebook.com/Tourniquet-56372703466/

I’ll start this post with the lyrics to Black Sabbath’s LORD OF THIS WORLD, which Trevor McNevan from Thousand Foot Krutch did awesome vocals on (and Bruce Franklin from Trouble did the leads as only he can).

LORD OF THIS WORLD
You're searching for your mind don't know where to start
Can't find the key to fit the lock on your heart
You think you know but you are never quite sure
Your soul is ill but you will not find a cure, yeah

Your world was made for you by someone above
But you choose evil ways instead of love
You made me master of the world where you exist
The soul I took from you was not even missed, yeah

Lord of this world
Evil possessor
Lord of this world
He's your confessor now!

You think you're innocent, you've nothing to fear
You don't know me you say but isn't it clear?
You turn to me in all your worldly greed and pride
But will you turn to me when it's your turn to die, yeah?

I know for sure those lyrics surprised some of you. I’ve been into Sabbath since 1972. Playing pool in my friend’s rec room, I distinctly remember the first time I heard the Paranoid album with that opening doomy riff of War Pigs. There IS an inherent sense of doom in us all. The bible talks about it - a lot. Wondering what happens when we die. Wondering what our purpose on earth really is, or is their no purpose? Listening to the lyrics to these tunes, it’s apparent the Sabbath guys wondered about these things too.

I chose the songs for this album very carefully. There are many Sabbath tunes I passed on, as for me, they would not be a good example - even though I like the music – Snowblind, Sweet Leaf, Under the Sun to name a few. All the songs on THE DOOM IN US ALL have some cool message to them.

WAR PIGS – Speaks of the sad reality of living in a world where humans hate each other, and where soldiers are sent in to do the dirty work. The evils of war created by hatred and intolerance – often in the name of religion.

LORD OF THIS WORLD – see above.

INTO THE VOID – Science fiction tune about leaving the earth – because we have ruined it (pretty much what we’re doing). Pollution, misery, hatred. There must be a better place… 

Through the universe the engines whine
Could it be the end of man and time?
Back on earth the flame of life burns low
Everywhere is misery and woe
Pollution kills the air, the land and sea
Man prepares to meet his destiny

ELECTRIC FUNERAL – Another doomy sci-fi tune. Atomic radiation… Yes, it’s doom and gloom – but hey it’s Black Sabbath, not Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood – and it’s brilliant: 

Robot minds of robot slaves, lead them to atomic graves
Plastic flowers melt in sun, fading moon falls upon
Dying world of radiation, victims of mad frustration
Burning globe of obscene fire, like electric funeral pyre

CHILDREN OF THE GRAVE – anything wrong with this?

So you children of the world,
listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in
spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive
you must be brave
Or you children of today are
Children of the Grave

Of course, the Sabbath guys have had their struggles – like we all do. But they write honest lyrics that often display the struggle between good and evil. Doing the right thing and going down the wrong road. Hey - kind of like tons of characters in the bible. There are things about them I truly respect. I love Geezer Butler’s views and lifestyle reflecting his compassion for animals, for example. And Tony Iommi’s desire to help other musicians succeed – along with his genuine humility, even as he has written some of the heaviest, catchiest, towering riffs in metal.

In closing, I feel 10,000% OK releasing this album – it’s been great working with the guest artists - can’t wait for you to hear it!
I like this comment someone posted earlier – thanks! - Ted

“I can't speak for Ted, but I can speak for why I would be open to play on such a production. First, it's a tribute. It's not a blanket endorsement of everything Sabbath or Ozzy have ever said and done.
Why a tribute at all? If there was no Black Sabbath, there would be no Tourniquet. Speaking from a bass playing perspective, if there was no Geezer Butler, I wouldn't be the player I am today.
Sabbath are humans created in the image of God. They have wonderful God given talents. They've abused themselves not quite to death with substances. They don't have the best message in their lyrics. But all Christian metal musicians owe some debt to Black Sabbath.

Who knows? Maybe a tribute by a guy like Ted can open a door to make some people, or even the guys in Sabbath think that us Christians aren't so bad after all and maybe someone might get saved after talking to one of us because of it.”

Ted Kirkpatrick
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Kirkpatrick Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:39 am

And an in depth review -  http://www.1340mag.com/reviews/243-ted-kirkpatrick-the-doom-in-us-all-a-tribute-to-black-sabbath-review

No matter how you feel about Black Sabbath, the band has become musical and cultural icons.  Since the release of their eponymous debut in 1970 their music has attracted devoted fans and equally enthusiastic detractors.  The chugging, distorted guitar riffs and dark lyrics that are the formula for a Black Sabbath song set the tone for all heavy metal to come.  It’s hard to find a corner of the rock world that hasn’t been touched by the work of these forefathers of all things heavy.  While several Black Sabbath tributes have been released over the years, none have really captured the essence of what Sabbath offered.  Ted Kirkpatrick, known as drummer and mastermind of Tourniquet has rectified this oversight with the release of The Doom In Us All:  A Tribute to Black Sabbath.

I can hear it now.  “Tourniquet is a Christian band, and Black Sabbath promoted Satanism!”  OK, calm down, Freddy Fundamentalist.  Black Sabbath never openly promoted Satanism, nor did any of its members.  While their lyrics were dark, they often condemned the darkness of which they spoke.  In some ways the band’s themes of environmental responsibility and ending war bridged the gap between the hippie rock of the 60s and the rise of heavy metal in the 70s.  Surely these themes are universal, even if one doesn’t prefer the way they are presented.  In that light, there should be no reason a Christian artist can’t record a set of Black Sabbath songs.  The track list, hand selected by Kirkpatrick, contains songs that are fairly inoffensive, save the pervading sense of menace and doom that comes from those early Black Sabbath albums.  

The list of musicians who contributed to The Doom In Us All is rather impressive. Ted Kirkpatrick himself performs drums and guitars on each track, aided by Dug Pinnick of King’s X on bass.  Add to this vocalists like Chris Jericho (Fozzy), Corey Glover (Living Colour), Trevor McNevan (Thousand Foot Krutch), Eric Wagner (Trouble), and Tim Ripper Owens (Judas Priest) and you know what you’re about to hear is top quality.  Lead guitar is provided by Scotti Hill (Skid Row), Bruce Franklin (Trouble), and Karl Sanders (Nile).  The pairings put together for each song provide for strong performances, and careful production ensures a consistent listening experience.  Rather than the disjointed sound of a tribute that spans multiple bands and genres, The Doom In Us All easily flows from song to song without the jarring changes that often come with a tribute album.  

On to the performances themselves, Kirkpatrick took care to ensure that each track is faithful to the source material.  “War Pigs” opens the album with all the fuzz and despair of Black Sabbath, but the updated production gives it a new shine.  Chris Jericho’s vocals are a grittier take on Ozzy Osborne’s own vox.  Scotti Hill’s guitar work is spot on.  This trend continues throughout the six songs presented.  Corey Glover provides an outstanding vocal on “Into The Void.”  Karl Sander’s lead guitar tone on “Children of the Grave” is sharp and piercing, as fits a song with such a threatening tone.  Kirkpatrick, who has played guitar on many of Tourniquet’s releases provides all of the guitar work for “Into The Void,” “Embryo,” and “Electric Funeral.”  There isn’t a single song in this collection that can’t boast a stellar performance by all involved.  

The Doom In Us All:  A Tribute to Black Sabbath is the only Black Sabbath tribute created the way such albums should be:  carefully, through the eyes of a devoted fan.  Ted Kirkpatrick shows great respect for Black Sabbath by not reinterpreting these songs, but by meticulously crafting faithful versions, recruiting some of the best musicians in heavy metal to join him, and ensuring clear, high quality production.  With Black Sabbath retiring after their current tour, Kirkpatrick has sent them on their way, not with a set of hastily thrown together covers, but a true tribute to a band which has left a lasting mark on him, and on the world of heavy music overall.  There is a bit of doom in us all, and Black Sabbath forged that into worldwide acclaim.  Finally, there is a tribute album worthy of their legacy.  

Reviewed by Jim 1340

Ted Kirkpatrick
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobi Elektrik Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:24 am

The most scandalous thing about this CD is the fact that Eric and Bruce are on it while it seems to be impossible to have them both on a Trouble album. THAT's really something we should discuss about.
Tobi Elektrik
Tobi Elektrik
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:36 am

Pretty Good album..Love the album cover as well...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:42 pm

Is this considered a Various Artists album? Or a Tourniquet album?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:51 pm

From the way its being described I would say a Various Artists but just my guess

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Kirkpatrick Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:59 pm

RavenWolf wrote:Is this considered a Various Artists album? Or a Tourniquet album?
Neither - it's a Ted Kirkpatrick solo album...

Ted Kirkpatrick
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:02 pm

Ted Kirkpatrick wrote:
RavenWolf wrote:Is this considered a Various Artists album? Or a Tourniquet album?

Hey Ted!!!!

Im sorry we ran you off before 

I hope you stick around here some more Very Happy
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Kirkpatrick Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:12 pm

Hardcore Christian wrote:
Ted Kirkpatrick wrote:

Hey Ted!!!!

Cool – thanks HC, but nobody ran me off from here or anywhere else. I say what I like and so, it seems, does everyone else – no problem! Just quite active on many different formats…

Ted Kirkpatrick
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:16 pm

This project sounds like it is going to be awesome, but Ted I Do have a question, was there any artists you wanted to work with that was unavailable? Just thinkin of the what-ifs I guess

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:24 pm

Ted Kirkpatrick wrote:
Hardcore Christian wrote:
Ted Kirkpatrick wrote:

Hey Ted!!!!

Cool – thanks HC, but nobody ran me off from here or anywhere else. I say what I like and so, it seems, does everyone else – no problem! Just quite active on many different formats…
Good!

stoked for some new Tourniquet!

See ya around Cool
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Kirkpatrick Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Aaron C wrote:This project sounds like it is going to be awesome, but Ted I Do have a question, was there any artists you wanted to work with that was unavailable? Just thinkin of the what-ifs I guess
Hi Aaron - the album is out now - http://www.tourniquet.net/catalog/item/8469487/10231522.htm

Was working to get one or two others. Often the scheduling, etc. just doesn't work out time wise. Michael Sweet was all set to do Children of the Grave, but he just got too swamped - especially with his new solo album out soon... However, Tim Ripper Owens (ex-Judas Priest) did COTG and he has an amazing metal voice!!  https://youtu.be/6RHzOAPFrWo

Ted Kirkpatrick
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next