The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fathers of Heavy Metal

+7
ThomasEversole
Temple of Blood
Friday13th
deathisgain
d@v!d
metaldude
lhversaw
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Fathers of Heavy Metal - Page 3 Empty Re: Fathers of Heavy Metal

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:38 pm

If you're saying most of all black metal isn't really metal,
have you heard most of all black metal?

I've heard enough to know that it's junk with very, very few exceptions.

I'm confused as to how the quality of the recording plays a part in defining the genre...  

I'm confused as to where you got that from.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
If you're saying most of all black metal isn't really metal,
have you heard most of all black metal?
I've heard enough to know that it's junk with very, very few exceptions.

Enough isn't "most" bro. Its ok if you don't like junk - we all have different tastes.
I'm commenting because you said black metal isn't metal. Nothing to do with trying to get you to like it.

Temple of Blood wrote:
I'm confused as to how the quality of the recording plays a part in defining the genre...
I'm confused as to where you got that from.

I assumed that when you said quality, you were referring to production.

Temple of Blood wrote:I'd argue that most all black metal isn't even really metal at all, much less "skipping grades". In intensity perhaps, but certainly not quality.

I did that because I didn't want to assume you said black metal isn't metal just because you don't like the music.

Compared to most sub genres, metal played as the black variety is harder, faster, darker, stronger.
Are you trying to say black metal is punk instead or something? Sure, there's elements of that in some bands, but you don't even have to look past this thread to know where black metal's roots are.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:17 pm

I'm saying most black metal isn't good and it isn't metal, not that it isn't metal because it's not good.

Punk is faster than Black Sabbath but that doesn't make it more metal.  Goth is darker too but it's not more metal.

Black metal's roots are guys who can't play death metal playing something horrible.  Kind of like punk's roots are guys who couldn't really play rock-n-roll.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaiser_19 Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:51 pm

One time ago i listened that some metalheads don't like black metal and think Black metal gives Heavy metal a bad name as a genre (i guess it might be for the raw production, endless blastbeats and the corpse paint), but i never thought in my life i would see someone calling Black Metal is not a metal genre.

I mean that's great eveyone has their own view, and that's awesome since we can see different things from different points, but saying black metal is not a metal genre is like saying salad is not food because it doesn't taste like meat or fish.

I think metal genre is the most varied music ever, and that is IMO the strongest point it has over any other kind of music. If metal was just a concrete way playing the instruments with the same formula going on forever it would be tiring soon. Even on the same genre, two bands can sound completely different. Dark Funeral and Anorexia Nervosa are under the black metal tag, but both bands sound different.

Also i must add that while there is some garbage in every metal genre, there is actually some killer stuff and underrated/unknown gems in every genre. I think you should open your mind a bit, and you will discover that while not super-hyper technical, black metal can be very versatile genre and a haunting atmosphere most metal bands lack.

Sorry for my grammar mistakes, english is not my first language   face palm
Kaiser_19
Kaiser_19
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:39 pm

I'm confused. Who's on first?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Headshrinker wrote:I'm confused. Who's on first?

face palm  face palm  face palm  face palm  face palm  lol!  lol!  lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:23 pm

Black Metal is definitely a subgenre of Metal.

Fathers of Heavy Metal - Page 3 BeavisandButthead-BlackMetal

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:36 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I'm saying most black metal isn't good and it isn't metal, not that it isn't metal because it's not good.

All you've said to why black metal isn't metal is because of the quality.  I've tried to get you to elaborate and you're just playing word games.

You're the one claiming black metal is not metal.
Spit it out man.  Why isn't it metal?
Where's the evidence?

Temple of Blood wrote:Black metal's roots are guys who can't play death metal playing something horrible.  Kind of like punk's roots are guys who couldn't really play rock-n-roll.

Wow.  Troll much?  I can safely say there are THOUSANDS of people who disagree with you.
Its fine that you don't like the music, but there's no reason to insult what people like.

Kaiser_19 wrote:i never thought in my life i would see someone calling Black Metal is not a metal genre.

Me either. My mind is kind if blown.
Actually, the only explanation I have is deliberately saying that (of course with no evidence) just to troll members here.

This whole situation completely reminds me of Louis CK's "Pig Newton" bit.

He's telling the story of how he's 41... his daughter is 3, and he offers his kid a fig newton.
His daughter says "They're not called fig newtons, they're called PIG NEWTONS."
..."No honey, they're fig newtons - they're called that because there's FIGs in them."
..."NO!!!!!! PIG NEWTONS!!!"
And Louis starts getting mad! Like, "There's no pork in them...." and starts ARGUING with A 3 YEAR OLD.
The comical part was, he's 41, getting mad at a 3 year old - who's the real loser here?

Replace 3 year old with troll and that's what you have going on in this thread.

The end.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:12 pm

Not trolling.  Don't care if 1 billion people disagree with me. 

It's not metal (much of it) because it is not riff-based, it's chord progression-based. 

It also has more in common with punk because it's more about shock/message and less about musicianship.  Even Black Sabbath could decently sing and play their instruments.  They're Dream Theater compared to many black metal bands.

But even if it isn't metal, that doesn't make it not good music ... but it's just not good music.  I think Emperor's "Anthems" album is excellent.  Other than that, I have heard quite a bit and it's all lousy. 

Conceptually and stylistically it's a great idea and is a unique evolution past death metal but the songwriting substance is just not there.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:02 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Not trolling.  Don't care if 1 billion people disagree with me.

You are trolling. ...and its not because you don't like it and say its not black metal,
Its because you're throwing around pejorative terms and implying it has no talent.

A billion people disagreeing is what's called a clue.
...but obviously you want to be right about this.

Temple of Blood wrote:It's not metal (much of it) because it is not riff-based, it's chord progression-based.

A riff is a repeated segment of music. ...of all music. Black metal, jazz, country...
A chord is an arrangement of notes (usually 3 notes) played together in harmony.

I'm confident now that this is a waste of my time. Its clear that you don't have an understanding of modern music theory or terminology.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3