The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on what the church can do better to support "non-church" music?

+5
Throne of thorns
Black Rider
metaldude
Blake
Devon Hill
9 posters

Go down

Thoughts on what the church can do better to support "non-church" music? Empty Thoughts on what the church can do better to support "non-church" music?

Post by Devon Hill Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:05 pm

I was talking to the worship pastor at my church the other day, and he brought up an interesting point.  He said sometimes he feels like most of the emphasis is put on worship bands to play on Sundays at church, or developing musicians to play in church.  But the church should also be supporting, encouraging and ministering to those that are called to play music outside of the church.  He didn't have any answers persay on how to do it, but just a vision and thoughts to want to do so.

It got me thinking about this....and I'm curious to hear your thoughts.  Any thoughts or ideas you have?  How can the church more effectively help those called to do music outside of the church?  If you were in charge of something similar at your church, what would you want to do?
Devon Hill
Devon Hill
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on what the church can do better to support "non-church" music? Empty Re: Thoughts on what the church can do better to support "non-church" music?

Post by Blake Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:04 am

They could open their doors as a music venue, that would support local artists and also show the church supports it.

The frontman of Australian band Synnove, Brad Bessell is an ordained minister and I remember in the myspace days they posted an official ordainment notice. It was kinda neat, it was a certificate from his church saying that he was being sent out as a missionary into the heavy metal subculture.

Thats one thing I have always remembered about the band.
Blake
Blake
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://reanimatedradio.com

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on what the church can do better to support "non-church" music? Empty Re: Thoughts on what the church can do better to support "non-church" music?

Post by Guest Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:09 am

Metal Blessing Radio wrote:They could open their doors as a music venue, that would support local artists and also show the church supports it.

That's done on a regular basis by a lot of churches.

Heck, even back in the 80's I was in a church that ran a program called Rock House where they brought in bands like Petra, Servant, Rez, Barren Cross..etc etc and had them play concerts (either in the church or at a local school).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:14 am

Personally, other than the church sponsoring them to play some shows, I don't think the church should be too involved with the rock/metal music scene.

I believe the band members should be involved in the church, and the church should support the individuals the same way they support any congregational members.

As I have said before, I believe the Christian music scene is more entertainment than anything else. I think the church's money, time, and resources are far better spent on important things like helping the poor and rebuilding lives.

Just my opinion, obviously...

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:57 am

My church doesn't necessarily help financially, but they do help with things like cd duplication, use of in house studio for both audio and video production, or insert design, etc.  The thing I found most valuable, to me, was a person who would regularly check in on the members to see how we were doing spiritually. That really helps to have that kind of support when you play mostly secular venues.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:58 am

/\

That is cool.

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:58 am

I agree with NoOne, the Church shouldn't focus on one area but should be helping in the discipling of all members.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Throne of thorns Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:17 pm

They can help by letting these kinds of bands be a light in dark place rather than a light in a place of light for a start. also support them with what they can.
Throne of thorns
Throne of thorns
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:18 pm

Devon Hill wrote:  But the church should also be supporting, encouraging and ministering to those that are called to play music outside of the church. 

If a bands purpose is to minister to sinners with the Gospel, then of course the Church should support them. But it should be members local Church that should probably support them directly. If the local church agrees with the bands methods and message and delivery, then it should be viewed as another " limb " of the Body of Christ. I'm sure it would be handled in a similar way that the local Church supports other missionary efforts.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:22 pm

....and to be clear..on the other side of the coin the Church should not support ( $, promotion ) bands that have no missionary vision or that make vaguely messaged music.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:19 pm

reminder: we are the church  Smile
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:31 am

My church doesn't necessarily help financially, but they do help with things like cd duplication, use of in house studio for both audio and video production, or insert design, etc.  The thing I found most valuable, to me, was a person who would regularly check in on the members to see how we were doing spiritually. That really helps to have that kind of support when you play mostly secular venues.

Now that's what I call support!!!
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pastorbrad Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:11 pm

Verycool... and true.  I know at our church--I do my best to encourage people leverage every gift/passion they have in both MINISTRY (a word I use to describe service within the church) & MISSION --- serving in the community/marketplace.

Salt does not good--IN THE SALT SHAKER... gotta get out there!
pastorbrad
pastorbrad
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.guitarjams.net

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:31 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

Now that's what I call support!!!

We're blessed with resources and no one believes, even for a minute, that it belongs to anyone but God Himself.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down