The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Secular Metal Danger

+14
ThomasEversole
exo
MetalGospel
Believer12
Temple of Blood
MegaNorm64
Superjuice
d@v!d
Friday13th
sentient 6
Hardcore Christian
WildWorld
TheDoctor394
HOTDOGS AND MUSTARD
18 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Secular Metal Danger - Page 3 Empty Re: Secular Metal Danger

Post by sentient 6 Sat May 02, 2015 5:21 am

ParaNormaN wrote:
Personally, I just call them rock bands.

The non-believers know and care. Give a CD of old Petra to an atheist and just say " hey check out this classic-rock-sounding band. " Watch them come back to you the next and say " um...you forgot to mention that they are a "christian " classic-rock-sounding " band.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sat May 02, 2015 5:29 am

ParaNormaN wrote:
 Do we have Christian food and water? No, we only have food and water.

Food doesn't seek to convey ideas. There are no themes or messages to food. Food doesn't promote thought.

If some band said that their main purpose was to spread the Gospel and edify Christians through their art, what in the world would you call them ? ( and I grant that not every band that gets labelled " christian " seeks to do what I just mentioned )
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sat May 02, 2015 5:32 am

savage amusement wrote:but how do you know they share the same faith as you? many bands that do not believe in God write lyrics based on the Christian Bible and about Jesus..even some of the "christian" bands may not believe as you as they are writing lyrics from their theological view which may differ radically from yours...

Right, and thats why we shouldn't just blindly accept what some record label is promoting as " christian. "
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2015 11:29 am

S6 wrote: bet your have no problem calling the Newsboys a " christian " pop band do ya ? Or Caedmons Call a " Christian " folk rock band ?

Actually I dont use the christian label to explain anything or label anyone except conservative and denominational churches.. I never use the term when talking about music, art or entertainment unless maybe here..and thats because its the language you guys prefer...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2015 11:34 am

If some band said that their main purpose was to spread the Gospel and edify Christians through their art, what in the world would you call them ?

and truthfully very very few "christian" bands say this...Its amazes me that when a band has a christian member in it or a biblical lyric everyone here jumps on the Christian bandwagon...take alice cooper for example..his albums are not christian in lyric and he is not a ministry and he is not out trying to spread the gospel but Christians are all over him because he is a christian.. He still does the old show and plays the old songs.. megadeth and W.A.S.P. also come to mind..Even stryper claims to not be a christian band or a ministry..

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sat May 02, 2015 1:42 pm

savage amusement wrote:

and truthfully very very few "christian" bands say this...Its amazes me that when a band has a christian member in it or a biblical lyric everyone here jumps on the Christian bandwagon...take alice cooper for example..his albums are not christian in lyric and he is not a ministry and he is not out trying to spread the gospel but Christians are all over him because he is a christian.. He still does the old show and plays the old songs.. megadeth and W.A.S.P. also come to mind..Even stryper claims to not be a christian band or a ministry..

I agree. We do throw around the label " Christian " rather loosely. I do agree that many people label some bands that way to justify them listening to a secular band.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2015 5:51 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
ParaNormaN wrote:

Food doesn't seek to convey ideas. There are no themes or messages to food. Food doesn't promote thought.

If some band said that their main purpose was to spread the Gospel and edify Christians through their art, what in the world would you call them ? ( and I grant that not every band that gets labelled " christian " seeks to do what I just mentioned )

I see what you are saying, S6, and I agree with what you are saying.

But back to the original question "Do we have Christian food and water?"

The answer is YES we do!

Ever heard of the Bread of Life and the Living Water?

Food does convey many ideas, and that is why food is used many times in Scripture as an illustration.

Christ said that man does not live on bread alone....He also said that if we drink His water, we will never thirst again. One can choose to ignore the Scriptures and just have plain ol' "food and water" if they want to, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2015 7:20 pm

I do agree that many people label some bands that way to justify them listening to a secular band.
that may be and I would call that hypocrisy. If some one wants to listen to music with a non/Christian view or lyric they should just listen to it and ignore what others think...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2015 7:56 pm

I listen to a lot of stuff that isn't necessarily Christian.

I listen to the radio a lot, and I enjoy listening to 80's music.

But I think there is a difference between listening to a song, and REALLY listening to a song.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 02, 2015 8:13 pm

savage amusement wrote:
I do agree that many people label some bands that way to justify them listening to a secular band.
that may be and I would call that hypocrisy.

Let's broaden this a bit and dig a little deeper...shall we?

I don't want to mention anyone specific, but many people do the same thing with churches/pastors/preachers/teachers.

They will call it Christian just to justify them listening to nonsense.

Self-professing Christians rather than actual Christians.

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun May 03, 2015 3:33 pm

Mortal wrote:
Christ said that man does not live on bread alone....He also said that if we drink His water, we will never thirst again. One can choose to ignore the Scriptures and just have plain ol' "food and water" if they want to, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Those that ignore the Word of God are essentially ignoring the Will of God.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun May 03, 2015 3:49 pm

savage amusement wrote:that may be and I would call that hypocrisy. If some one wants to listen to music with a non/Christian view or lyric they should just listen to it and ignore what others think...

Don't you believe some people are genuinely conflicted about this ? The pleasure they get from the music vs supporting/listening to messages that they know go against the Spirits call to holiness ? When someone is conflicted, we can't just counsel someone to just do what ever feels good.

Last edited by sentient 6 on Sun May 03, 2015 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Sun May 03, 2015 3:52 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
ParaNormaN wrote:
Personally, I just call them rock bands.

The non-believers know and care. Give a CD of old Petra to an atheist and just say " hey check out this classic-rock-sounding band. " Watch them come back to you the next and say " um...you forgot to mention that they are a "christian " classic-rock-sounding " band.
Either that or they get freaked out by "Killing My Old Man" (not knowing the metaphorical significance to the lyrics) Razz

(just trying to add some much needed humor to this thread)

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun May 03, 2015 3:54 pm

WildWorld wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:
Either that or they get freaked out by "Killing My Old Man" (not knowing the metaphorical significance to the lyrics) Razz

(just trying to add some much needed humor to this thread)

..LaughingTwisted Evil
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun May 03, 2015 4:07 pm

savage amusement wrote:
Actually I dont use the christian label to explain anything or label anyone except conservative and denominational churches.. I never use the term when talking about music, art or entertainment unless maybe here..and thats because its the language you guys prefer...

..I bet you refer to old hymns such as A Mighty Fortress is our God as an old beer hall tune.Cool
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Sun May 03, 2015 4:15 pm

Mortal wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:
ParaNormaN wrote:

The answer is YES we do!

Food does convey many ideas, and that is why food is used many times in Scripture as an illustration.

I wonder what Christian steak tastes like. I think as long as there is Christian A1 sauce, it will taste pretty decent!
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun May 03, 2015 4:19 pm

Mortal wrote:
Let's broaden this a bit and dig a little deeper...shall we?

I don't want to mention anyone specific, but many people do the same thing with churches/pastors/preachers/teachers.

They will call it Christian just to justify them listening to nonsense.

Self-professing Christians rather than actual Christians.

I would give ya my response, but this seems off topic ( at least directly off topic anyway ).

....you could start another thread in this regard, but it would involve taking about things like discernment and knowing scripture....so I don't think it would get too far before gettin' shut down.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Sun May 03, 2015 4:20 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
ParaNormaN wrote:

Food promotes flavor and juicyness.

I still call those bands according to the genre they are performing. If I were introducing someone to a band, I always explain what their main lyrical content is about. In this case, I would say "They're a rock band who mostly write about religion". I rarely ever call bands Christian. I only use the label Christian Rock/Metal etc. on here.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun May 03, 2015 4:21 pm

ParaNormaN wrote:
I wonder what Christian steak tastes like. I think as long as there is Christian A1 sauce, it will taste pretty decent!

..only if it was blessed by a Priest.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 03, 2015 4:24 pm

ParaNormaN wrote:I wonder what Christian steak tastes like. I think as long as there is Christian A1 sauce, it will taste pretty decent!

What about the generic brands? Would that still be considered Christian?

Last edited by Mortal on Sun May 03, 2015 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Sun May 03, 2015 4:26 pm

sentient 6 wrote:
ParaNormaN wrote:

..only if it was blessed by a Priest.
lol!
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Sun May 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Mortal wrote:
ParaNormaN wrote:
Mortal wrote:
sentient 6 wrote:
ParaNormaN wrote:

The answer is YES we do!

What about the generic brands? Would that still be considered Christian?
No! You need the real deal.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Sun May 03, 2015 4:28 pm

ParaNormaN wrote:

I still call those bands according to the genre they are performing. If I were introducing someone to a band, I always explain what their main lyrical content is about. In this case, I would say "They're a rock band who mostly write about religion". I rarely ever call bands Christian. I only use the label Christian Rock/Metal etc. on here.

..what if the food is bad ? Twisted Evil

There are a lot of religions out there, so for the benefit of the listener, you may want to narrow it down for them.

..there is even a genre of Hardcore called " Krishna Core ". Shelter, Cro-Mags and 108 were some bands that I used to dig from that POV.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 03, 2015 10:38 pm

..I bet you refer to old hymns such as A Mighty Fortress is our God as an old beer hall tune.

lol!  no, I refer to them as old dead songs written by old dead people sung in old dead churches

Back to top Go down

Post by MegaNorm64 Mon May 04, 2015 10:37 am

sentient 6 wrote:
ParaNormaN wrote:

..what if the food is bad ? Twisted Evil

There are a lot of religions out there, so for the benefit of the listener, you may want to narrow it down for them.

..there is even a genre of Hardcore called " Krishna Core ". Shelter, Cro-Mags and 108 were some bands that I used to dig from that POV.
Then we will all have some really bad stomach aches, haha.

Wow, that's interesting! I didn't know about that.
MegaNorm64
MegaNorm64
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next