The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama Adm seeks ban on gay reparative therapy

+10
deathisgain
Parched Earth
Tobi Elektrik
Candlemass
alldatndensum
Peter who was Vaak
Hardcore Christian
Grindboy
d@v!d
sentient 6
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Obama Adm seeks ban on gay reparative therapy Empty Obama Adm seeks ban on gay reparative therapy

Post by sentient 6 Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:44 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/04/08/white-house-condemns-therapy-to-cure-gay-youth/

Should they put forth legislation on this, would that not be violation of our freedoms in general ? They would be seriously over stepping their bounderies on this. I mean, no one forces people to have therapy ( unless in jail sentence of course ). Whether you agree with reparative therapy for gays or transgenders, should not people be free to pursue it if they so wish ?

One thing that is driving this I believe is the fact the militant gay community hates stories of people coming out of the lifestyle. They don't think people can change, and they fume over ex-gays more so than people such as west boro baptist protestors it seems.

That said, what could be the implications on the Church should something like this ever pass into law ? There are direct, and indirect consequences it would seem.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Obama Adm seeks ban on gay reparative therapy Empty Re: Obama Adm seeks ban on gay reparative therapy

Post by d@v!d Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:57 pm

sentient 6 wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/04/08/white-house-condemns-therapy-to-cure-gay-youth/

Should they put forth legislation on this, would that not be violation of our freedoms in general ? They would be seriously over stepping their bounderies on this. I mean, no one forces people to have therapy ( unless in jail sentence of course ). Whether you agree with reparative therapy for gays or transgenders, should not people be free to pursue it if they so wish ?

One thing that is driving this I believe is the fact the militant gay community hates stories of people coming out of the lifestyle. They don't think people can change, and they fume over ex-gays more so than people such as west boro baptist protestors it seems.

That said, what could be the implications on the Church should something like this ever pass into law ? There are direct, and indirect consequences it would seem.
I could see them trying to blur the lines between pastoral counseling and such therapy and use it to go after them.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Obama Adm seeks ban on gay reparative therapy Empty Re: Obama Adm seeks ban on gay reparative therapy

Post by Grindboy Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:06 pm

s6, I think the article wasn't very clear and you misunderstand.  The bill would be to ban this therapy for minors, so it wouldn't be to take away an adult's freedom to whatever therapy they would wish to pursue.

I'm not making a statement of position on this, just hoping to clarify.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks Obama

another reason America is dead Neutral
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:18 pm

Grindboy wrote:s6, I think the article wasn't very clear and you misunderstand.  The bill would be to ban this therapy for minors, so it wouldn't be to take away an adult's freedom to whatever therapy they would wish to pursue.

I don't think a minor should be allowed or made to get this type of "therapy". I have read some very bad horror stories about it.

Sending a child to "reparative" therapy.......another example of zealot, nut job "Christians" (which there are way too many).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:38 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:
Grindboy wrote:s6, I think the article wasn't very clear and you misunderstand.  The bill would be to ban this therapy for minors, so it wouldn't be to take away an adult's freedom to whatever therapy they would wish to pursue.

I don't think a minor should be allowed or made to get this type of "therapy". I have read some very bad horror stories about it.

Sending a child to "reparative" therapy.......another example of zealot, nut job "Christians" (which there are way too many).

"Nut job "Christians""?

I don't know.

I don't really know what these "reparative" therapy sessions are like.

Do you know?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Mortal wrote:
NoOneIsHere wrote:

"Nut job "Christians""?

I don't know.

I don't really know what these "reparative" therapy sessions are like.

Do you know?

Yeah, that's why I said I heard stories about it...

Google it....

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:53 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:

Therapy fixes something that is wrong.  This is wrong, ergo therapy is proper.  A person can be gay and that's alright, but where do we draw the line?  Pedophilia?  Why?  Because we place arbitrary age limits on it to suit societal norms as opposed to ignore the societal norms as we do with homosexuality(A population far below 5% which is closer to a statistical anomaly than anything else, really).
Peter who was Vaak
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:54 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:Yeah, that's why I said I heard stories about it...

Google it....

I suppose I'll Google it sometime later,

but since this thread is already about that subject, I figured I would ask you about what you think about it.

I'm interested to know what you have heard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:01 pm

I think the best type of "therapy" is a strong family that sticks together and raises each other up in the way of the Lord.

If we can't do that, then we can't really depend on any outside "therapy" session to do it for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:04 pm

Mortal wrote:I think the best type of "therapy" is a strong family that sticks together and raises each other up in the way of the Lord.

If we can't do that, then we can't really depend on any outside "therapy" session to do it for us.
I do think that's true.  A lot of homosexuals living this lifestyle can be traced back parents that are too messed up in one way or another.
That being said, maybe therapy can help some?
Peter who was Vaak
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Peter who was Vaak wrote:
Mortal wrote:I think the best type of "therapy" is a strong family that sticks together and raises each other up in the way of the Lord.

I do think that's true.  A lot of homosexuals living this lifestyle can be traced back parents that are too messed up in one way or another.

I wouldn't put the blame all on the parents.

In fact, I wouldn't put the blame on any person.

It's just that some people come from broken homes and broken family situations.

I'm not a homosexual, but I can certainly identify with those that come from broken homes and broken family situations because I come from those type of situations myself.

Broken family situations sometimes end up with alot of broken people.

I do feel that a strong family with love is very important, and can be "therapeutic" in a way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:24 pm

Mortal,  I have seen many many articles about it.  There have even been "victims" of it on talk shows.

Some of it reminds me of the Spanish Inquisition,  honestly.

The whole idea of withholding your love or necessities from someone unless they convert is crazy. Using fear of being ostracized from the family or of punished is not the way to help someone.

That is what it can wind up being like. Many people have crossed the line using these therapy tactics.

http://theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/how-christians-turned-against-gay-conversion-therapy/390570/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter who was Vaak Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Mortal wrote:

I wouldn't put the blame all on the parents.

In fact, I wouldn't put the blame on any person.

It's just that some people come from broken homes and broken family situations.

I'm not a homosexual, but I can certainly identify with those that come from broken homes and broken family situations because I come from those type of situations myself.

Broken family situations sometimes end up with alot of broken people.

I do feel that a strong family with love is very important, and can be "therapeutic" in a way.
Broken homes aren't the only homes in which gays come from.  You can just as easily look to homes where kids were smothered too much by parents or too open.  

Anyways, some people have a hard time with coping with the idea their child is gay and it generally looks bad on the parents.  That being said, if you're a Christian, we also know where else it leads.
Peter who was Vaak
Peter who was Vaak
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:37 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:Mortal,  I have seen many many articles about it.  There have even been "victims" of it on talk shows.

Some of it reminds me of the Spanish Inquisition,  honestly.

The whole idea of withholding your love or necessities from someone unless they convert is crazy. Using fear of being ostracized from the family or of punished is not the way to help someone.

That is what it can wind up being like. Many people have crossed the line using these therapy tactics.

http://theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/how-christians-turned-against-gay-conversion-therapy/390570/

I agree that using fear and threats of abandonment are not good motivators when trying to help someone,

and I know that there are some people out there in the world who do use those things as motivators,

but I wonder if some of those accusations are just blown out of proportion.

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:10 pm

You are correct sir.Smile
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Mortal,  I have seen many many articles about it.  There have even been "victims" of it on talk shows.

Let's not give in to the fallacy that if it is on a talk show that it is truth.  There have been a lot of folks over the years that have shown that talk shows often spin a topic however they think it will get the most ratings.  If its Oprah, Ellen, or a host of others over the years, most of their "reporting" is nothing more than sensationalism and should carry about the same weight as real news as the National Enquirer or Infowars.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:29 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:

I guess it depends on what is involved.

The bottom line is, only a changed heart done by the Holy Spirit will get people who are enslaved to this sin to change how they see it.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:52 pm

d@v!d wrote:
I could see them trying to blur the lines between pastoral counseling and such therapy and use it to go after them.

Bingo. Honestly, I am not a fan of " Christless " therapy. But I am affraid this is just one more step towards the State not allowing Christians to proclaim that people are sinners that have violated the Law of God.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:18 pm

That being said, if you're a Christian, we also know where else it leads.

Just so its out there, they would be judge for their sin in general. We were all slaves to our sins until we came to faith in Christ.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Therapy fixes something that is wrong.  This is wrong, ergo therapy is proper.  A person can be gay and that's alright, but where do we draw the line?  Pedophilia?  Why?  Because we place arbitrary age limits on it to suit societal norms as opposed to ignore the societal norms as we do with homosexuality(A population far below 5% which is closer to a statistical anomaly than anything else, really).

Just to add, this is a sexual and relationship disfunction. Its based in lust, but there is a disfunction in how gay people relate to people of the same sex as well.
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Peter who was Vaak wrote:Broken homes aren't the only homes in which gays come from.  You can just as easily look to homes where kids were smothered too much by parents or too open.

I would still consider those to be broken family situations.

Not broken as in being broken apart, but broken as in out of balance and dysfunctional.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

Let's not give in to the fallacy that if it is on a talk show that it is truth.  There have been a lot of folks over the years that have shown that talk shows often spin a topic however they think it will get the most ratings.  If its Oprah, Ellen, or a host of others over the years, most of their "reporting" is nothing more than sensationalism and should carry about the same weight as real news as the National Enquirer or Infowars.

I never said it was real because I saw it on a talk show. I clearly stated that I have read about it, also.  Just to clarify. 

I will also disagree with you about talk shows though,  too.  I think you are linking them all together,  and they are not all the same. 

Jerry Springer type of shows are a joke,  yes... 

But shows like The View or Oprah or Ellen etc etc  do sometimes have valid guests about real issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by sentient 6 Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:58 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:
But shows like The View or Oprah or Ellen etc etc  do sometimes have valid guests about real issues.

Do you think those celeberties have a agenda anyway though ?
sentient 6
sentient 6
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:59 pm

NoOneIsHere wrote:
 Sometimes, but most of the time it is a platform for the liberal agenda...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next