The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are your favorite BETRAYAL/MARTYR songs?

+20
Btrylgtrst
Candlemass
Nyx74
stevegarveyfan
SirJahzeal
exo
Airola
Grindboy
My Awesome Timothy
Superjuice
cailen
FreeRangeBeliever
d@v!d
metaldude
zelote
Machine Fish
Drawnsword
Galations6.7
6stringgrind
Temple of Blood
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What are your favorite BETRAYAL/MARTYR songs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are your favorite BETRAYAL/MARTYR songs?

Post by Candlemass Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:03 pm

They remind me a lot of "Sacrament", chaotic thrash...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

What are your favorite BETRAYAL/MARTYR songs? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are your favorite BETRAYAL/MARTYR songs?

Post by Candlemass Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:05 pm

Airola wrote:
metaldude wrote:Didn't Marcus try to continue Betrayal as a one man project?

For people who are interested in hearing what kind of stuff this was, here is one song off the In Remembrance of Me album, Dark Laden:

I had this cd back when it came out, was heavy into the goth scene at the time, but even then I found it to be quite boring...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by exo Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:14 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:?
Can't go wrong with the entire second album.  Destroys EVERYTHING else from that era in terms of vibe and music.  All IMO, of course......but for my personal tastes, both back then and today, this disc is head and shoulders above every other notable disc from the era.

"You must be," said the Cat, or you wouldn’t have come here."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
exo
exo
Wielder of the BanHammer
Wielder of the BanHammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:55 pm

I still own In Remembrance Of Me.  Granted, I don't listen to it very often, but I might have to give it a spin.

Back to top Go down

Post by 6stringgrind Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:02 pm

So nobody else had issues with Betrayal's vocals? There's literally no vocal melody to almost every song on the first album. I'm pretty sure that's why they brought in the guest vocalists on the second album.

6stringgrind
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by SirJahzeal Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:53 pm

Betrayal was/is one of my favorites from that era.  Whenever you heard a Betrayal song, you know is is Betrayal...and that is something great!  

The argument that I hear the most is that "the vocalist's style left something to be desired".  However, I feel the vocals were well done.  I cannot imagine anybody else who could have fit better in the band at that time?  In my opinion (which, all of this obviously is), his approach aided in Betrayal's unique sound.
SirJahzeal
SirJahzeal
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://www.twitch.tv/SirJahzeal

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:25 pm

I love everything Martyr ever did, with the exception of a few of the new songs on Wickenstraut.  Those were OK, but not great.
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by 6stringgrind Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:30 pm

Garrison4JC wrote:Betrayal was/is one of my favorites from that era.  Whenever you heard a Betrayal song, you know is is Betrayal...and that is something great!  

The argument that I hear the most is that "the vocalist's style left something to be desired".  However, I feel the vocals were well done.  I cannot imagine anybody else who could have fit better in the band at that time?  In my opinion (which, all of this obviously is), his approach aided in Betrayal's unique sound.
Fair enough. Don't get me wrong, I am a Betrayal fan. I just feel like a killer vocalist would have brought some dynamics to their sound. The songs tend to get a bit samey because of the vocals. I really loved their darker, creepier vibe. They had more edge lyrically than most of the other Christian thrash bands. I just think a singer with a more sinister, emotional voice would have suited the material better.

6stringgrind
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:33 pm

Sure, I've heard plenty of people say they don't like the vocals.  I've just never been one of them, but you're not alone.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyx74 Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:28 am

Plead The Blood is still my favourite. Still have my PTB T-Shirt!
I believe Marcus was an occasional guest here @CMR. 
Found a (foggy) pic of Jeff while being at their concert in Utrecht (God's Pleasure) back in 199x (forgot the exact year)

What are your favorite BETRAYAL/MARTYR songs? - Page 2 Cam00310
Nyx74
Nyx74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:56 am

I have an issue with the vocals and a few other things too but they do some things really well and I really enjoy them overall.

I get so tired of this "vocals make-or-break-the-band" thing.  Especially in thrash metal for crying out loud.  It's not R&B.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:59 pm

When RbD came out, I thought it was one of the most creative and unpredictable things I'd ever heard.  Of course I was like 15, but at least for me, it was awesome and ground-breaking.  Awesome!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by 6stringgrind Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:41 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I have an issue with the vocals and a few other things too but they do some things really well and I really enjoy them overall.

I get so tired of this "vocals make-or-break-the-band" thing.  Especially in thrash metal for crying out loud.  It's not R&B.
I pretty much feel the same way about them. For me it's not so much a "make-or-break" thing, but rather a "what could have been" scenario. I still enjoy them for what they are.

6stringgrind
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Candlemass Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:17 pm

I'd like to have a copy of this lp...
Candlemass
Candlemass
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:06 am

You can buy it digitally on bandcamp.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Btrylgtrst Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:13 am

Superjuice wrote:Jeff Lain really tears it up live.

Jeff was a monster bass player. Could have played with any band in the world at that time.

Btrylgtrst
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Btrylgtrst Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:15 am

Nyx74 wrote:Plead The Blood is still my favourite. Still have my PTB T-Shirt!
I believe Marcus was an occasional guest here @CMR. 
Found a (foggy) pic of Jeff while being at their concert in Utrecht (God's Pleasure) back in 199x (forgot the exact year)

Cool picture! Have any more from that show? It was '93, btw ;-)

Btrylgtrst
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Btrylgtrst Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:20 am

d@v!d wrote:Where is Marcus Colon these days? This is a group I'd like to see come back.
I'd like to know, too. I was in fairly regular contact for a while but it's been years ago now. We talked about doing one last album. He seemed very excited about it, but he had experienced some physical problems in his wrists and had surgery so I'm not quite sure what the outcome was.

Btrylgtrst
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:29 pm

Do you ever read through a thread and then find a post that you really, totally agree with. . . and then realize that it was you 9 months ago?

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:17 pm

Grindboy wrote:Do you ever read through a thread and then find a post that you really, totally agree with. . . and then realize that it was you 9 months ago?
Yep.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by sadvader Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:14 pm

I have to admit that I like "Fall on your face" on the Wickenstrout-album.
sadvader
sadvader
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.sadbatu.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing1134 Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:07 am

Btrylgtrst wrote:
d@v!d wrote:Where is Marcus Colon these days? This is a group I'd like to see come back.
I'd like to know, too. I was in fairly regular contact for a while but it's been years ago now. We talked about doing one last album. He seemed very excited about it, but he had experienced some physical problems in his wrists and had surgery so I'm not quite sure what the outcome was.
Bob, it that you???
Pershing1134
Pershing1134
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by d@v!d Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:11 am

Pershing1134 wrote:
Btrylgtrst wrote:
Bob, it that you???
It's him.
d@v!d
d@v!d
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Through The Dark Radio Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:57 pm

What??? No love for No Goats??? Very Happy
Through The Dark Radio
Through The Dark Radio
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Btrylgtrst Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:05 am

Yeah, it's me ☺

Btrylgtrst
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next