The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deliverance Memories / Favorite Songs/ Etc.....

+2
Hardcore Christian
Deepfriar
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Deliverance Memories / Favorite Songs/ Etc..... Empty Deliverance Memories / Favorite Songs/ Etc.....

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:13 am

Inspired by a post I just wrote

Lets discuss what you like about Delivernace, maybe its a favorite song, album or a memory or something profound.

Lets discuss

Back to top Go down

Deliverance Memories / Favorite Songs/ Etc..... Empty Re: Deliverance Memories / Favorite Songs/ Etc.....

Post by Deepfriar Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:41 am

Learn was actually the first Deliverance album I owned though I had heard their earlier stuff because my best friend had it. I really liked the vocals on Learn though and thought it was an underrated album.
Deepfriar
Deepfriar
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Deliverance Memories / Favorite Songs/ Etc..... Empty Re: Deliverance Memories / Favorite Songs/ Etc.....

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:39 am

I have alot of Deliverance memories, but since you brought up Learn I'll share my thoughts on it.

I agree it is a very underrated album. At this release I had the entire D catalog either on tape or CD. (the first album was the only one i had on tape at that time)  I was going through a dark lonely painful time and I often turned to music for something whether motivation, comfort I dunno as I didnt feel like I was allowed to feel the way I do or have them belittled and discounted. I was led to believe at this time that a Christian shouldnt be feeling depressed and lonely and unwanted all the time. I even had a deathwish at this period of my life.   I listened to alot of Christian music mostly metal and none of these bands were speaking to me with their "Sugary coated Jesus Lyrics" When I heard Learn it was the first Christian Metal album I heard that I could relate to. Here Jimmy was singing about pain and suffering. It was this album that would elevate my fandomness of Deliverance. This became my go-to album and I played it alot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:20 am

Aaron C wrote:I have alot of Deliverance memories, but since you brought up Learn I'll share my thoughts on it.

I agree it is a very underrated album. At this release I had the entire D catalog either on tape or CD. (the first album was the only one i had on tape at that time)  I was going through a dark lonely painful time and I often turned to music for something whether motivation, comfort I dunno as I didnt feel like I was allowed to feel the way I do or have them belittled and discounted. I was led to believe at this time that a Christian shouldnt be feeling depressed and lonely and unwanted all the time. I even had a deathwish at this period of my life.   I listened to alot of Christian music mostly metal and none of these bands were speaking to me with their "Sugary coated Jesus Lyrics" When I heard Learn it was the first Christian Metal album I heard that I could relate to. Here Jimmy was singing about pain and suffering. It was this album that would elevate my fandomness of Deliverance. This became my go-to album and I played it alot.
Interesting History about the Learn album. I've been there as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:31 am

Many things to share about Deliverance.

One of the histories I never get tired is the first time I listened to Deliverance (I never get tired of telling it).

I was raised in a catholic house that later has converted to a protestant point of view. Rock was never accepted at home and I have never had influences from metal fans to follow. Then, I was looking for some musical direction in my teenagerhood and I was migrating to CCM to modern rock music and after that I started to find my direction in christian hard rock and heavy metal. The heaviest band I knew was Stryper.

Then, the label that has released all KGM albums made a big sale for a very cheap price of all Bloodgood, Idle Cure, Tourniquet, Deliverance and many others bands albuns (those KGM versions).
I didn't think twice before get then, even though I had no idea whether I was going to enjoy it or not.
I loved Bloodgood, loved Idle Cure, but when I first listened to Deliverance and the powerful riff of Victory, I suddenly turned the cd player off and thought: "This is from Hell!" Evil or Very Mad
It was just too funny that only after checking the lyrics out I was convinced that it really was a Christian band.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:31 am

Sounds somewhat similar to my discovery of Deliverance, the heaviest band I knew at the time was Stryper, this was around 1990 or 1991 I cannot quite remember, but I was in a FYE (at the time it was Record Town) and for a brief period they carried some interesting Christian Metal.  Armageddon, Bloodgood, Deliverance, Angelica, etc... So I was looking at 3 cassettes I was going to buy 1, couldnt decide, so I asked my cousin who essentially is like my older brother that i never had.  He pointed to Deliverance because the album cover was cool and it was a band I wasnt familiar with So I was like ok, we played Weapons in the car.  I was instantly hooked.

Fast forward a couple weeks later, My cousin asked me about the Deliverance album I was still jamming to it nonstop hes like Wanna see them Live, I was like YEAH!!!!!!!!! so spent 8 bucks a ticket and went to this school they were playing it was during the Weapons tour where I bought the first album on cassette and the famous Weapons Cover Tshirt that weighed a ton when you wore it. (still have that shirt too) I wasnt one of those mosh pit types I was just sitting in my seat taking it all in, course as I am enjoying the show I feel my throat tighten, next thing I knew I was sick really sick. We stayed for the entire show. I wasnt about to leave lol.

Shortly after this show I started buying CDs, and found bands such as Vengence Rising, and Sacrament. I went to Creation 91 (I think) thats where I discovered Tourniquet, and Sacred Warrior. I bought Weapons on CD there.  After that I would periodically go into the Christian Bookstore and order and buy CDs, Thats how I got all the first releases of Deliverance's albums (minus that first CD) that was a seperate quest altogether.

My Pastor at the time was intrigued with Weapons as it dealt with Spiritual Warfare as he was preaching about this topic at the time.

I was bummed when Deliverance broke up after Camelot, fast forward to 2002 I was at work surfing the net and the idea of looking up Deliverance came to my head, thats how I found the (at the time) Official Message Board of Deliverance it was administered by a guy named Rob he had designed the album cover for Deliverance's Assimilation (original release)  so I started posting there, ended up becoming one of two moderators. shortly after that Jimmy himself started to post, with occasional appearances by then Guitarist Lael Conan. Even Manny Morales made an appearance or two. It was through that board I found this one. Near the end of the board's life there was a contest for the new Deliverance Album "Sad Veil of Tears" he gave the track listing and you had to post what you thought the song was about based on the song titles. Top 5 won the contest and an advanced copy. I was one of those top 5 and I got my advanced copy, which was a label-less CD but the case was personalized and signed by Jimmy. This album really shredded. I was sad that it never saw the light of day. The album was released as a Fearful Symmetry album but alot of the bass, guitars were cut out of the final release. So the advanced copy I have actually could be considered a demo but its very different than the actual release.  Deliverance even still is one of the few bands I am very passionate about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:49 pm

Aaron, nice history.

Do you have the never released Deliverance DVD live in concert?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Nope As far as my D collection goes I have all the Intense Records releases , I have As Above So Below as a digital album I dont have the last one yet. Though they cover a song from a band called Sombrance (who is a friend of mine)   I got one of the 100 signed sets of the CMR D tribute. Along with some CDRs of stuff some i need to get the actual album some are unofficial releases. I would love to get my hands on a D  DVD.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:00 pm

I've been into Deliverance since their first demo, "Greetings of Death" was released back in the late 80s. I had a copy of that demo and I've been a fan ever since!!!

Great stories guys! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hardcore Christian Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:31 pm

The one of the first "Classic metal" albums I owned was Weapons
(Classic being released before 1999)

Mortification's Primitive Rhythm Machine
Deliverance's Weapons Of Our Warfare
Vengeance's Human Sacrifice

will always have a place in my heart for introducing me to thrash metal
Hardcore Christian
Hardcore Christian
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:13 pm

I remember back in 1988. I was just a wee lad. 11 years old. Anyway - I had a friend who introduced me to Deliverance. He was a Christian and also my neighbor. He subscribed to various Christian Metal fanzines like Heaven's Metal and White Throne. So he got me into Christian Metal and we discovered Deliverance before they even had a first demo out - through the written word of the fanzines.

AS SOON as Deliverance released their first demo, "Greetings of Death", we had already sent the money (straight to Jimmy) and got our copies in the mail just a few days later! We jammed "Greetings of Death" into the GROUND!!!

Shortly after we got this demo, we decided to call the number inside and low and behold we were on the phone with Jimmy!!! No kidding. He was the nicest guy we had ever met!!! He was working at that time at McDonalds. Might've been Burger King, but I'm pretty sure it was McDonalds. Been so long now. This was before Deliverance had taken off of course.

So we started a phone conversation friendship with Jimmy. I think my friend talked to Jimmy quite a bit more than I did.

Wow. Thanks for this thread topic. Awesome thread. This is bringing up all kinds of old memories for me. LOL. I'm almost tearing up. Sad  Especially considering that my friend who I spoke of earlier has since died. RIP brother. Drowned in a river right here in Utah.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Aaron C wrote:Nope As far as my D collection goes I have all the Intense Records releases , I have As Above So Below as a digital album I dont have the last one yet. Though they cover a song from a band called Sombrance (who is a friend of mine)   I got one of the 100 signed sets of the CMR D tribute. Along with some CDRs of stuff some i need to get the actual album some are unofficial releases. I would love to get my hands on a D  DVD.
But you know it exists, right?

Back to top Go down

Post by strype53 Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:19 pm

I lived in a small town so I had to drive to a bigger town (Tulsa) to get any kind of music.  I remember driving after school to Tulsa after school when I was not supposed to drive that fa.  I went to Mardel's.  I walked in and bought the first Deliverance, because it said it was heavy and it had a song on it called Jehova Jireh.  We used to sing that song at youth camp and I wanted to hear a heavier version of it.  I also knew they were the best band on the California Metal album.  I loved the song on there, and would play it over and over, because it seemed so heavy.  After buying the first album.  I loved it so much, so I drove back to Tulsa to get the Weapon's album a few days later.  I listened to them both over and over!  I would rank the first Deliverance album in my top 5 Christian Albums of all time! I think the lyrics on the first album are awesome. I remember when What a Joke came out, I listened to it over and over.  Loved the riffs on that album as well.  There was a Christian music concert that came to Tulsa.  It had Sacred Warrior, Novella, and not sure who else, maybe Whitecross.  Deliverance was supposed to play, but I think Jimmy had broken his hand.  He was still there and I got him to sign my cassette cover for What a Joke.  I think he had to sign it with his left hand, because it was pretty rough, and I remember he had a hard time signing it.  When Stay of Execution came out.  I thought it was an awesome album as well.  I remember going to church camp and we were not really supposed to have headphones and a walkman back then with us.  I remember every night when the lights went out, I hated listening to everybody be loud and not go to sleep.  I would put my walkman on and listen to it under my bunk lying on the floor, until I fell asleep.  I loved the song Stay of Execution and Horrendous Disc.  I had no idea Horrendous Disc was a remake.  I also did not know After Forever (Black Sabbath) was a remake either.  The next albums would come out and would sound nothing like what I was used to, so I would buy them hoping they would sound like what I was used to, but they never did.  I would listen once, and then never again.  Until I got older, and gave them a listen through new ears, understanding they did not have to sound like what I was used to.  Which was cool for me, because it was like I got a whole lot of new Deliverance albums to listen to.  I remember when Jimmy used to post in the realm back in the day, about the recording of the albums, and what it was like back then (I would love to be able to read that again, anybody save that stuff in the archives?)  I was disappointed in some of what he said, but I still was like, whatever that first album is always going to be one of my favorites all time.  I think Jimmy is super talented.  I was listening to the podcast with him and George not to long ago with Les Carlsen leading the interview.  After I listened to that podcast, I kept thinking I wish Jimmy would do his own podcast and talk about all that stuff back in the day as well as all the bands from back then.  Good Memories.  Good Thread!
strype53
strype53
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:10 am

I have listened to that podcast as well. It was really cool.
Jimmy is a guy who has lots of good histories. I use to think that I would love to read all of these histories regarding Deliverance in a book. Even though this book would probably be bigger than te bible. (laughs)

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:26 am

I had heard some Deliverance tunes from the first two albums on a local radio show called Stainless Steel that was done every Sunday at a local college.  I didn't care for their speed metal stuff way back then. 

My first D album was "Stay Of Execution".  I heard the title track on Stainless Steel and was hooked.  I played that album a ton on cassette.  Then, I bought "Learn".  I had gone through a very bad year in 1990 and even spent 17 days in a psych center for depression.  The song "1990" still reminds me of that dark time and that God brought me through all that. 

While "Learn" is still my personal favorites, I don't care for the drumming on it.  I konw that Jon Knox played for Whiteheart at the time and that he was a really good player.  However, on the Deliverance album, he sounds like he is playing on automatic.  The fills fit, but his rhythms just sound unimaginative and flat.  Maybe it is just me, but that hurt the album as a whole.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by timekeeper Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:43 am

Best memory - seeing them on the "Learn" tour (Chicago) and talking with Jimmy at the merch table before the show...telling how the band I was (I was the drummer) in covered "A Space Called You" and how cool he thought that was.  Chris ended not not making it to the show, and they had their drum tech start the show filling in.  After a song or two, I went to the side of the stage and called Jimmy over and told him I knew their stuff and asked if I could come up and fill in for a few.  He asked the crowd - the yelled "Yes", and he told me to come on up.  I played a couple of songs, including "Stay of Execution", and in the break of that song in the middle, Jimmy yelled, "This guy's not bad!"...awesome, awesome memory.  But, being young, I must admit - I was scared to death!
timekeeper
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by metaldude Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:37 am

^^   As a drummer who is also a huge Deliverance fan, let me say... That is AWESOME!!

My best Deliverance memory didn't actually include the band. I was playing in a band who had booked a gig with Vengeance Rising on their Once Dead tour. We were in sound check and sorta goofing around when Larry Farkas walks up on the stage and plugs in his Les Paul. We were chatting and he mentioned that he had once been in Deliverance. We proceded to play a couple of tunes together including Blood of the Covenant (the other was VR's Frontal Lobotomy). It was a lot of fun.

As far as my favorite Deliverance songs, I prefer the thrashy tunes like If You Will, Awake, Product of Society, Attack, Prophet of Idiocy,  etc.
metaldude
metaldude
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by timekeeper Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:09 am

Very cool story metaldude!
timekeeper
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:24 pm

timekeeper wrote:Best memory - seeing them on the "Learn" tour (Chicago) and talking with Jimmy at the merch table before the show...telling how the band I was (I was the drummer) in covered "A Space Called You" and how cool he thought that was.  Chris ended not not making it to the show, and they had their drum tech start the show filling in.  After a song or two, I went to the side of the stage and called Jimmy over and told him I knew their stuff and asked if I could come up and fill in for a few.  He asked the crowd - the yelled "Yes", and he told me to come on up.  I played a couple of songs, including "Stay of Execution", and in the break of that song in the middle, Jimmy yelled, "This guy's not bad!"...awesome, awesome memory.  But, being young, I must admit - I was scared to death!

3 words for ya.....

That..................was................AWESOME!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:25 pm

metaldude wrote:^^   As a drummer who is also a huge Deliverance fan, let me say... That is AWESOME!!

My best Deliverance memory didn't actually include the band. I was playing in a band who had booked a gig with Vengeance Rising on their Once Dead tour. We were in sound check and sorta goofing around when Larry Farkas walks up on the stage and plugs in his Les Paul. We were chatting and he mentioned that he had once been in Deliverance. We proceded to play a couple of tunes together including Blood of the Covenant (the other was VR's Frontal Lobotomy). It was a lot of fun.

As far as my favorite Deliverance songs, I prefer the thrashy tunes like If You Will, Awake, Product of Society, Attack, Prophet of Idiocy,  etT
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Yeah, these are some great Deliverance stories! I'm loving this thread!

Deliverance Memories / Favorite Songs/ Etc..... Beer_cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:34 pm

They had some of the coolest shirts in the early days.

My favorite memory is from the HIS II.  Jimmy and Glenn Rogers had used Jimmy's dad's truck to drive to Fontana for the gig and it broke down.  That might sound like a bummer, the fellowship before, during, and after was great.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:35 am

HIS II? I think ya lost me

Back to top Go down

Post by timekeeper Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:40 am

James B. wrote:They had some of the coolest shirts in the early days.

My favorite memory is from the HIS II.  Jimmy and Glenn Rogers had used Jimmy's dad's truck to drive to Fontana for the gig and it broke down.  That might sound like a bummer, the fellowship before, during, and after was great.
Cool!
timekeeper
timekeeper
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:06 am

Aaron C wrote:HIS II? I think ya lost me

I was referencing the second "HIS Festival" called HIS II.   It was a two say event held at Fontana High School Auditorium.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next