The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flood - Ripped Into Exile

+14
Tobi Elektrik
StevenCressler
Black Rider
Constantine
KaramKaram
MagnusPrime
Pethead
Frozen Fire
Tombie
BaleMaster
Airola
seth
TZ75
Fundy
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Flood - Ripped Into Exile - Page 3 Empty Re: Flood - Ripped Into Exile

Post by Fundy Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:31 pm

Airola wrote:While I love Guy's falsettos I think the falsettos in Can't Undo are close to jumping the shark. They remind me of the Holy Danger demos but not in the best possible way like Freeloading Larceny in the last album did. That part is saved by the "I'm drowning out the voices" part because it gives the part an artistic context. That said, Can't Undo is one of my favorite tracks in the album. For the most part it's really beautiful. By the way, if I had to bet on it I would say the music of that track was written by Guy Ritter. There are certain chord progression and melody choices that immediately make me think of Guy.

I loved the Holy Danger demos, although they were really raw, it did showcase Guy's unique talent.  Also, when the falsettos started in Can't Undo, I was smiling like a cheshire cat.  Absolutely loved that bit, as it reminded me of Holy Danger and the 2 tracks from Stop The Bleeding.  I think the whole album has the right amount of diversity, and it's keeping me really interested.  Like you, I think I've probably listened to it 6 or 7 times all the way through, and I've enjoyed it slightly more each time.

As for who wrote what track.  Gary wrote 7 and Guy wrote 3 (Burial, Can't Undo and In An Ancient Time).

Before I knew who wrote each track, I tried to guess, and I thought Guy just wrote Burial and Can't Undo.  I was blindsided by In An Ancient Time!!!
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Black Rider, TZ75, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 pm

I like the falsettos on Can’t Undo. Wish he had used more throughout the album though, especially on faster songs. I want The Threshing Floor part 2!
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Fundy, Raegoul, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:44 am

I think what bothers me with the falsettos is the cacophony that's happening at the same time. But as I said that's an artistic choice that is lyrically backed up by the part after the cacophony. And the falsetto is clearly more Holy Danger style than the rougher Stop the Bleeding style. But then again I love the Holy Danger stuff too.

I guess I was just mostly hoping for speed metal falsettos and Threshing Floor style falsettos instead of ballad falsettos that are sung over an "avantgarde chaos" choir vocals Very Happy
Even with that the song is fantastic and really beautiful!

I'm really surprised by Guy writing In a Ancient Time! That's another track I've grown to love.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Fundy, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:45 am

Just heard through. It's quite good, but yeah, unfortunate that the drums sound so programmed. I'm not sure it's better than the debut, but comparable. I actually liked the debut's instrumentals a lot.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, Pethead, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bahana Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:53 am

I like what I've heard so far on Spotify. Just bought a physical copy. Sometimes it's nice to have a physical booklet with lyrics.
Bahana
Bahana
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Black Rider, Fundy, Ammocas, TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:02 pm

Bahana wrote:I like what I've heard so far on Spotify. Just bought a physical copy. Sometimes it's nice to have a physical booklet with lyrics.

I bought two (just in case). 

You never know if it will become a rare item in the near future. Echo Hollow’s Diet of Worms CD is going for $200 on eBay. I actually can’t even find their second album… but I know it would be expensive if I did.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:22 pm

Just got my physical copy today and got to listen, lyrics in hand, on a better stereo. The drums sound much better on this. The snare is more organic. Some of the cymbal work sounds oddly stiff and some of the fills are notably loud. Otherwise I think David plays much more like himself here. Unfortunately sometimes the riffs sound buried under the drums and vocals. The balance is off in general. As many said, it isn't terrible but it is unfortunate for such a great album.

Musically this is really solid. I enjoy every track more or less. Guy and Gary sound great, the band has a unique sound I enjoy, and it has already grown on me. Hopefully we can hear all this live. It is going to sound amazing if/when we do.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Black Rider, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:38 pm

I got my copies today. 

I like the album, but the drums sound too much like a machine. It’s kind of distracting on the fast songs.

I miss the classic Tourniquet acoustic drum sound. It’s not David Husvik’s fault… for some reason Gary likes the fake drums.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:46 pm

On a fifth listen and I'm pretty comfortable saying this is better than Polarized. There is no filler and there are a lot of great tracks here! The vocals and the vocal hooks are really strong! I've loved letting it loop over and over again tonight.

I'm hoping this sounds great in the car because, though my production complaints stand in general, it made a big difference switching what device/system I've played it through.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Fundy, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bahana Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:58 pm

Got the CD today. The packaging is impressive. It's great this quality is accessible to independent artists. Wish the production was a bit better. The songs are there. Will give it a few more listens.
Bahana
Bahana
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Pethead, TZ75, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:57 pm

I'm really loving this album! It's extremely catchy. Guy's vocals are truly outstanding throughout. I think he's better today than he's ever been. Musically I think they crushed it. I said something about not being real big on the more shred style guitar in my first post. However, there is a lot of diversity in that area as I dig in. That was a mistake as I listen further. The mix between Gary and Joao's leads works well. They really nailed the balance of styles across the album and even within songs. There is a lot going but it flows extremely well. Even so, I think this has more thrashers than the first album. Zero Hour would go over so well live with it's shout back chorus!

I did add some punch and warmth to the kick drum in Garageband and that helped a bit with the sound for me. I actually like the drum sound save when David hits "light speed" on anything. Then it tends to sound weirdly artificial. David is a beast on this though. All in all, I've largely gotten over the production because most of it sounds perfect. It would have been cool to hear it "perfected" but this is far from ruining it.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Fundy, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:07 pm

I think Guy’s vocals peaked on POD. Exoskeletons is a great highlight imo. 

He also had some great vocals on the Echo Hollow albums.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:24 pm

I like the new album, but I don’t like the production! 

Guy sounds good, but he’s a lot more raspy voiced these days. He always had a rasp to his voice, but it seems more now.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3