The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash?

+7
TZ75
Black Rider
Temple of Blood
Raegoul
Christian Thrash Rules
Pethead
StevenCressler
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which one?

Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash? I_vote_lcap44%Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash? I_vote_rcap 44% 
[ 4 ]
Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash? I_vote_lcap11%Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash? I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash? I_vote_lcap44%Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash? I_vote_rcap 44% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 9

Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash? Empty Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash?

Post by StevenCressler Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:48 pm

Would you file their first three albums under soft thrash (Metallica, Megadeth) or extreme thrash (Slayer, Believer)?

I'm going with both, as most of the debut (like The Call and No Love) I'd call softer, and several songs on Weapons like Solitude, or 23 which is basically a ballad. However, Greetings of Death I'd call extreme thrash, as well as pretty much the entirety of What a Joke. I'd also call Flesh and Blood and This Present Darkness extreme, and Weapons softer. And then many songs like Temporary Insanity and Victory border between the two sides and I don't know what to file them as.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://www.youtube.com/@trickshotsmoviesandcubing2317/videos

Back to top Go down

Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash? Empty Re: Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash?

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:57 pm

They’re on the softer end, even at their most intense.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash? Empty Re: Deliverance, first three albums: Softer thrash or extreme thrash?

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:13 pm

I would say both. I disagree with Metallica and Megadeth being soft thrash though.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:13 pm

Overall it does seem like the Christian big four is more extreme than the secular big four
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:15 pm

Metallica is pretty soft for thrash. Early Megadeth is less so, but still nowhere near the most extreme. Slayer was always the most extreme of the Big 4.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:16 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:I would say both. I disagree with Metallica and Megadeth being soft thrash though.
I'm not saying they're soft music, but when it comes to thrash metal they're on the softer side. Nothing wrong with that, softer thrash is my favorite genre because it's still aggressive and fast, and still has great riffs, but there's more melody. Even at their most extreme (Dyer's Eve, Damage Inc) Metallica is a good deal softer than Slayer or Believer. Megadeth also.
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:21 pm

For the Christian realm, Sacrament is another earlier thrash band that sports a more extreme sound.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:49 pm

Medium
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:07 pm

Every thrash band is soft compared to Sadus.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Black Rider, Pethead and Legitwafflez like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:12 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Every thrash band is soft compared to Sadus.
100%
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:12 pm

Whoever voted “extreme” must think of Sarah McLachlan as “soft thrash.”
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:28 pm

Sadus was nuts, bordered on death at times.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StevenCressler Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:38 pm

Pethead wrote:Whoever voted “extreme” must think of Sarah McLachlan as “soft thrash.”
You gotta admit that What a Joke at the very least leans into extreme thrash territory...
StevenCressler
StevenCressler
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:39 pm

It’s heavier for them but I don’t think it’s near extreme thrash generally.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:43 pm

Have you listened to Devastation, Sadus or the German thrash bands? That's extreme thrash.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood, Pethead, StevenCressler and Legitwafflez like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:44 pm

Yep, go crank up Devastation’s Idolatry and report back 😎.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, StevenCressler and Legitwafflez like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:18 pm

Deliverance never got to extreme imo. Even with TSK which has their most extreme vocals (and best imo). If Metallica is soft thrash, Deliverance is nowhere near extreme.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:30 pm

I’m genuinely concerned for the person who voted “extreme,” unless it was tongue-in-cheek…
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:45 pm

Not soft or extreme… 

They were “just right” thrash!

- Goldilocks
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:56 pm

Deliverance has a few songs that are just as fast as Slayer (but have a heavier guitar sound). 

For example: Greetings of Death, Prophet of Idiocy, Pseudo-Intellectual, J.I.G. (and maybe Entomed).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian Thrash Rules Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:14 pm

TZ75 wrote:Deliverance has a few songs that are just as fast as Slayer (but have a heavier guitar sound). 

For example: Greetings of Death, Prophet of Idiocy, Pseudo-Intellectual, J.I.G. (and maybe Entomed).
The level of distortion doesn't have a whole lot to do with the extremeness imo(coming from a guitarist) and neither does the speed. They contribute but they're far from the most important. Slayer is more extreme than Deliverance ever was, and I don't think of slayer as extreme thrash. They're heavier than the other big four and a decent amount of thrash bands but I don't think they're full on extreme.
Christian Thrash Rules
Christian Thrash Rules
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:51 pm

Christian Thrash Rules wrote:
TZ75 wrote:Deliverance has a few songs that are just as fast as Slayer (but have a heavier guitar sound). 

The level of distortion doesn't have a whole lot to do with the extremeness imo(coming from a guitarist) and neither does the speed. They contribute but they're far from the most important. Slayer is more extreme than Deliverance ever was, and I don't think of slayer as extreme thrash. They're heavier than the other big four and a decent amount of thrash bands but I don't think they're full on extreme.

So if it’s not the heaviness or the speed… what’s left? Slayer was evil and Deliverance wasn’t? 

I agree that Slayer was more consistently heavy and never wrote a ballad. 

What exactly is your definition of heavy? 

I would put Crowbar as heavier than almost any thrash band.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:58 pm

My definition of extreme thrash is Devastation and Demolition Hammer. 

Especially Demolition Hammer!

I’ll also throw in Beneath the Remains by Sepultura. Max’s vocals were almost like death metal. 

All the bands I just mentioned are heavier and more extreme than the German bands!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:01 pm

It's not soft. But it's not extreme either. It's thrash.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:05 pm

StevenCressler wrote:Overall it does seem like the Christian big four is more extreme than the secular big four
Back then there was an unspoken contest between bands, to see who could push the envelope and who could be the most extreme, heaviest or fastest (the reason death metal came to be). That, and Christian bands had more to prove than secular bands by default. That's why I think when Vengeance came out they were off the charts (back in that time period). I remember showing my "secular" friends at school who liked Megadeth, Metallica etc, Vengeance rising, and it freaked them out. They also didn't believe em when I said they were Christian.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

strangerhoncho, Dustofyears, Raegoul and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next