The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on bands debuting new songs live?

+3
Superjuice
Xid
WildWorld
7 posters

Go down

Thoughts on bands debuting new songs live? Empty Thoughts on bands debuting new songs live?

Post by WildWorld Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:07 pm

What do you think when a band decides to debut a new or even previously unreleased song during concerts?

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on bands debuting new songs live? Empty Re: Thoughts on bands debuting new songs live?

Post by Xid Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:45 pm

From a fan's point of view, it's a treat!  Who doesn't want to be the first to hear some new music from a favorite band?
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Black Rider, Pethead and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on bands debuting new songs live? Empty Re: Thoughts on bands debuting new songs live?

Post by Superjuice Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:21 pm

I'd rather hear something I know when it comes to live music, especially after combing through their catalog before the concert so that I know every song.

Stavesacre used to do this a lot and I didn't appreciate it at the time, but, now that I listen to the song on cd in retrospect, I think, yeah, I remember when Stavesacre played "Night Town" to start off their concert before they put out on an album.  And it creates an interesting memory.

Extol also used to use an unreleased song to start off their concerts and later it would be the instrumental "Paralysis" on an EP of the same name.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:47 pm

It's kinda music's version of focus groups.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:44 pm

I wouldn't open a show with a new song because that's not what people are wanting.  As a fan, that would be disappointing as my expectations would be set on something familiar.  I would put a new song in the middle of the set and ask the audience if they would like to hear a new song before performing it.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:53 pm

I'm okay with it as long as there are maybe 1-3 at most.

My beef is with bands that don't play the songs I actually want to hear at concerts.
I don't go to many shows, but if it is a band I am considering seeing, I look at tour set lists now.  
If I don't care for the tour set list (or the You Tube clips), I don't go.  Most recent example is Yes.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:28 pm

Diddo. Most recent example is Dream Theater.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:09 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:Diddo. Most recent example is Dream Theater.
Exactly.  Dream Theater would be my 2nd best example.  I remember they came to Madison Square Garden in the mid-2000s and I was thinking of going but then I looked at the setlist...it was mostly from Train of Thought and almost nothing from the albums prior that I liked.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:38 am

Seeing Obituary perform The Wrong Time before the new album came out this year was pretty awesome.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:21 pm

I saw Petra at Jesus Northwest, must have in '87, and they played This Means War before the album was released.  That was cool to hear.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Follower of Jesus Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:42 pm

I think it’s great. When bands play songs live, they get a better feel for them and the studio recording is then better.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down