The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anything else like Epta Astera exist?

4 posters

Go down

Does anything else like Epta Astera exist? Empty Does anything else like Epta Astera exist?

Post by seth Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:33 am

Like the title says, has anyone heard any other music in a similar style to Epta Astera? As some of you know, this band/project has produced some of my favorite music of all time. However, from my limited experience, EA’s music seems to be so unique that it seems Cameron Harwick basically invented his own genre. I have never heard anything like it anywhere else. But if anybody else has heard anything in a similar style, I would love to check it out (as long as it isn’t satanic/anti-christian or anything)
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Does anything else like Epta Astera exist? Empty Re: Does anything else like Epta Astera exist?

Post by Kerrick Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:37 pm

You'll be hard-pressed to find anything remotely similar in the Christian scene!  There's been a handful of bands doing the "Batyushka thing" (spelling?) but they're all more firmly rooted in black metal and are less varied/experimental than EA.  (Hesychast comes to mind and predates Batyushka, but I assume you're already familiar with them.)

No Gregorian chanting, but Ohen from Slovakia is pretty eclectic black metal.

They're pretty different than EA, but you might like Shekhinah from China.  No black metal here; I'd categorize them as eclectic post-rock.  But they've got a kindred appreciation for variety.  I recommend starting with this album:
https://theannaandchenbiao.bandcamp.com/album/grace

Kauan is not a Christian band, but I put them in the "safe secular" realm.  They're pretty incredible though and musically the closest I can think of.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Does anything else like Epta Astera exist? Empty Re: Does anything else like Epta Astera exist?

Post by Pethead Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:41 pm

^^Is that bottom work based on the Dyatlov Pass mystery, by any chance?
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:56 pm

It is indeed!  The main guy from Kauan performed possibly the most in-depth research into that event that was ever done.  Though he wouldn't say what conclusion he came to...

Tyrant
Tyrant

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:07 pm

Neat-o. Need to check that out.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:20 pm

Kerrick wrote:You'll be hard-pressed to find anything remotely similar in the Christian scene!  There's been a handful of bands doing the "Batyushka thing" (spelling?) but they're all more firmly rooted in black metal and are less varied/experimental than EA.  (Hesychast comes to mind and predates Batyushka, but I assume you're already familiar with them.)

No Gregorian chanting, but Ohen from Slovakia is pretty eclectic black metal.

They're pretty different than EA, but you might like Shekhinah from China.  No black metal here; I'd categorize them as eclectic post-rock.  But they've got a kindred appreciation for variety.  I recommend starting with this album:
https://theannaandchenbiao.bandcamp.com/album/grace

Kauan is not a Christian band, but I put them in the "safe secular" realm.  They're pretty incredible though and musically the closest I can think of.
Thanks, I will check those out! I have heard Hesychast, but they didn’t sound much like Epta Astera to me, a lot closer to “typical” black metal
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:42 pm

Listening to Kauan, they are pretty good, but if they’re the closest you have heard to Epta Astera then I guess I was right that EA is probably basically its own unique genre. Which is actually pretty cool to see, since it’s rare to see Christian artists nowadays creating truly unique music
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnaliridescence Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:51 pm

There's a "similar artists" section on Unblack Archives pages. This is what I have written [for Christian bands] for Epta Astera: Old Path, Requiem Eternam, IHS, Reverorum ib Malacht, Vårgrike, Sanctificetur, Hesychast, Fathomage, Ἡσυχασμός, Weapons of Indignation, early Ecthirion, Gospod,

It's not rare at all to see Christian artists doing unique music. Of course these aren't related to Epta Astera, but recent unique stuff includes: Ero Cras, Azar (Italy), Auralian Disharmony, Improthrone, Lurking Beneath the Sea, Rüstung Gottes (idk if he's still Christian?), Vibrant Life. Granted Vibrant Life sucks, (and it was my project so I can say that) but it's sure unique!
nocturnaliridescence
nocturnaliridescence
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

1620 and seth like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:55 pm

nocturnaliridescence wrote:There's a "similar artists" section on Unblack Archives pages. This is what I have written [for Christian bands] for Epta Astera: Old Path, Requiem Eternam, IHS, Reverorum ib Malacht, Vårgrike, Sanctificetur, Hesychast, Fathomage, Ἡσυχασμός, Weapons of Indignation, early Ecthirion, Gospod,

It's not rare at all to see Christian artists doing unique music. Of course these aren't related to Epta Astera, but recent unique stuff includes: Ero Cras, Azar (Italy), Auralian Disharmony, Improthrone, Lurking Beneath the Sea, Rüstung Gottes (idk if he's still Christian?), Vibrant Life. Granted Vibrant Life sucks, (and it was my project so I can say that) but it's sure unique!
I will check some of those out! I do really like Ecthirion, and they are another fairly unique sounding Christian band, although their style is quite different from EA. Same with Reverorum ib Malacht, except their music is way to bizarre for me
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:57 pm

seth wrote:Listening to Kauan, they are pretty good, but if they’re the closest you have heard to Epta Astera then I guess I was right that EA is probably basically its own unique genre. Which is actually pretty cool to see, since it’s rare to see Christian artists nowadays creating truly unique music

Well to be honest, there very well may be something closer within the secular realm but I'm pretty out of touch with the secular market these days.  The only secular bands I listen to/buy anything from these days are bands I've been a fan of for a long time (like Kauan).  Any discovering of new bands I keep to specifically Christian.

But yes, I totally agree: it's awesome but exceedingly rare anymore when Christian bands are the ones paving new musical/creative paths.  Three cheers for Epta Astera!

nocturnaliridescence wrote:There's a "similar artists" section on Unblack Archives pages. This is what I have written [for Christian bands] for Epta Astera: Old Path, Requiem Eternam, IHS, Reverorum ib Malacht, Vårgrike, Sanctificetur, Hesychast, Fathomage, Ἡσυχασμός, Weapons of Indignation, early Ecthirion, Gospod,

It looks like I've got some research to do!  I don't recognize a handful of these bands...

You're probably aware, but Gospod have renounced their faith.

Tyrant
Tyrant

seth likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:01 pm

And from Kerrick’s recommendation, while there is certainly variety in Epta Astera’s catalog, variety is really not what I’m thinking of with regard to EA’s style. There is a consistent, easily recognizable style across pretty much all of EA’s music (which becomes more developed in later albums) that I am looking for but can’t really describe. Beyond just black metal plus Gregorian chants, I know other bands do that, but the overall musical style of EA is just something very different I have never heard before or since.
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnaliridescence Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:04 pm

Kerrick wrote:You're probably aware, but Gospod have renounced their faith.
Gospod is still Christian, he's just not doing Christian-themed music at the moment.
nocturnaliridescence
nocturnaliridescence
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:06 pm

Kerrick wrote:
seth wrote:Listening to Kauan, they are pretty good, but if they’re the closest you have heard to Epta Astera then I guess I was right that EA is probably basically its own unique genre. Which is actually pretty cool to see, since it’s rare to see Christian artists nowadays creating truly unique music

Well to be honest, there very well may be something closer within the secular realm but I'm pretty out of touch with the secular market these days.  The only secular bands I listen to/buy anything from these days are bands I've been a fan of for a long time (like Kauan).  Any discovering of new bands I keep to specifically Christian.

But yes, I totally agree: it's awesome but exceedingly rare anymore when Christian bands are the ones paving new musical/creative paths.  Three cheers for Epta Astera!

It looks like I've got some research to do!  I don't recognize a handful of these bands...

You're probably aware, but Gospod have renounced their faith.
Yeah you may be right that there’s something similar in the secular scene (I also don’t listen to a whole lot of secular, especially black metal since there’s so much satanic crap in that genre), but since Gregorian chant, which is a distinctly Christian music form, is such a large part of EA, it would almost make sense that such a thing would be even rarer in secular music than Christian
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:23 pm

nocturnaliridescence wrote:
Kerrick wrote:You're probably aware, but Gospod have renounced their faith.
Gospod is still Christian, he's just not doing Christian-themed music at the moment.

Just the other day I saw a post on FB from Duane claiming he has emails to him in which they renounced their faith.  Sad  But of course that's second-hand; I haven't been in communication with the members.  IIRC only one of the two ever claimed to be Christian in the first place though.

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:28 pm

Always sad to see that happen
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by nocturnaliridescence Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:43 pm

Kerrick wrote:Just the other day I saw a post on FB from Duane claiming he has emails to him in which they renounced their faith.  Sad  But of course that's second-hand; I haven't been in communication with the members.  IIRC only one of the two ever claimed to be Christian in the first place though.

The situation between Gospod and VoGR is... well, "messy" would be putting it very lightly, lol. All I know is that Roman told me he is still Christian and said as much on Telegram. I don't have Telegram so I can't verify this. 

I hadn't heard that he (allegedly) told VoGR another story. It's uh, maybe I'll just stay silent on Gospod for the time being, lol. This is a trainwreck I really, really don't want to be involved in.
nocturnaliridescence
nocturnaliridescence
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:55 pm

Oh my, I wasn't aware of any drama behind the scenes.  Cool music but something always seemed a bit "off" about them to me.  Sounds good; I don't want to be involved in any gossip and am happy to let the involved parties deal with it privately!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by seth Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:02 pm

Was just listening to Spätregen’s song Wo die Bäume sich erstrecken, and realized it actually reminds me a lot of Epta Astera. Not exactly the same style, but probably more reminiscent of it than anything else I’ve heard
seth
seth
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down