The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 brand New Extol singles Oct 12! "Labyrinth of Ill" + "Emergency"

+5
Kerrick
buddypng
Frozen Fire
KaramKaram
Lex Metalis
9 posters

Go down

2 brand New Extol singles Oct 12! "Labyrinth of Ill" + "Emergency" Empty 2 brand New Extol singles Oct 12! "Labyrinth of Ill" + "Emergency"

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:55 pm

Ten years after their last self-titled album, Extol has returned to unleash two new melodic death metal tracks: "Labyrinth of Ill" and "Exigency". And they pick up right where they left, bringing forth passionate, energetic and technical metal.

"Labyrinth of Ill" has definitely renewed my faith in Extol and our ability to play rock music once again. Who doesn’t wanna go to church when they hear the "Patience" passages play ping pong with Ole's guitar solo? Brutal, but at the same time disturbingly cozy." – David Husvik

EXTOL, the pioneering death metal band from Oslo, Norway, formed in 1993, gained rapid recognition in the extreme metal scene for their innovative fusion of intricate technicality, melodic sensibilities, and faith-based lyrics.

Over the years, EXTOL's distinctive style evolved, incorporating elements of progressive metal, black metal, thrash, and avant-garde influences. "Undeceived" (2000) and "Synergy" (2003) explored complex song structures, while "The Blueprint Dives" (2005) took a more avant-garde and progressive rock direction, yet still retaining their metal roots, earning them their first Norwegian Grammy nomination.

Despite line-up changes, EXTOL remained committed to defying genre conventions. In 2013, they returned with a self-titled album, receiving critical acclaim for its technical prowess and progressive approach, earning global respect for their musicianship.

Their enduring legacy continues to inspire new generations of metal musicians, as they now prepare to release two freshly composed song des. "Labyrinth of Ill" and "Exigency" will be released October 12th 2023, featuring Christer's return alongside David, Ole, and Peter.

"The new songs have that perfect blend of hooks, quirks and melody, coupled with the distinct flavour of a line-up featuring David, Peter, Christer and yours truly. And top that off with an excellent mix from Jens Bogren. I’m very happy!" - Ole Børud

The release sets the stage for EXTOL's first live appearances since 2014, and is a precursor to a full-length album.

"I can't believe it's been a decade since we released the latest Extol album. I'm really stoked about the fact that Christer is on board again! It kind of feels like the good old days!" – Peter Espevoll

2 brand New Extol singles Oct 12! "Labyrinth of Ill" + "Emergency" Fb_img29

EXTOL (from left to right):

David Husvik – Drums, Vocals
Peter Espevoll – Vocals
Ole Børud – Guitars, Vocals, Bass
Christer Espevoll – Guitars
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

2 brand New Extol singles Oct 12! "Labyrinth of Ill" + "Emergency" Empty Re: 2 brand New Extol singles Oct 12! "Labyrinth of Ill" + "Emergency"

Post by KaramKaram Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:34 pm

Check your PMs
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

2 brand New Extol singles Oct 12! "Labyrinth of Ill" + "Emergency" Empty Re: 2 brand New Extol singles Oct 12! "Labyrinth of Ill" + "Emergency"

Post by Frozen Fire Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:25 pm

Please let the lyrics be edifying still! I have so many questions in that area with Peter but Ole (based on his solo work) seems to have kept the faith. A new full length would be amazing and I will hope it is more than safe secular somehow.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Pethead and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KaramKaram Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:21 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:Please let the lyrics be edifying still! I have so many questions in that area with Peter but Ole (based on his solo work) seems to have kept the faith. A new full length would be amazing and I will hope it is more than safe secular somehow.
EXIGENCY
Crisis, frequent extremes
Increased mortality
Damage to ancient structures
Weakened resilience in the community of interacting organisms
Evolving pressure from tainting the natural ways
Of the blameless and pure
Human infection
Viral zoonotic and vector-borne diseases
Escalating pressure from tainting the natural ways
Of the blameless and pure
Evolving pressure, exploitation of old
Slowly abandoning truth
Tell me that you will draw a line
Don’t say that you will compromise
Altering the distribution and abundance of species
Increasement of pest and invasive breeds
Severe droughts and toxic waters
Tell me that you will draw a line
Don’t say that you will compromise

Credits:
David Husvik – Drums
Peter Espevoll – Vocals
Ole Børud – Guitars, vocals and bass

Music and lyrics by Extol
Produced by Extol
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren

--

LABYRINTH OF ILL
Amidst the grave of existential plight
My faith in rags, uncertain sight
The queries loom, unanswered still
As I navigate this labyrinth of ill
Though misgivings abide
My denial reside
My heart in pain, a flicker of hope remains
Throughout the night, throughout the fire
I will not change, I´ll be your silent guide
Patience, come to my side
Come be patient, come to my side
Patience, my guiding light
As I wander the uncertain night
Throughout the night
I will not change
I´ll be your guide
Fervor lost, my heart bereft
In the blustering of doubt and despair
I've lost my grasp on what was just
Yet a glimmer of deliverance is here
Though misgivings abide
My denial reside
Though my path may waver, and I may stray
Love and community, will lead the way
In the embrace of compassion, I shall find peace
Hope and unity, shall never cease

Credits:
David Husvik – Drums and vocals
Peter Espevoll – Vocals
Ole Børud – Guitars, vocals and bass

Music and lyrics by Extol
Produced by Extol
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren
KaramKaram
KaramKaram
Deadpool
Deadpool

https://lotsofmuzik.com/

Frozen Fire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by buddypng Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:13 pm

Seems like this should be on a 7". I wonder why Samuel Durling isnt putting it out that way

buddypng
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:15 pm

buddypng wrote:Seems like this should be on a 7". I wonder why Samuel Durling isnt putting it out that way

They are signed with Indie Recordings again. The same label that did the major release from the self titled album in 2013
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:21 pm

Based off of those lyrics... I wonder if Extol should be categorized as secular now?  pale   What the heck is this supposed to mean?

Tyrant
Tyrant

Black Rider, Friday13th, Pethead, mothy, Ammocas and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:27 pm

It sounds like vague, spiritualistic, nonsense. But I’m hoping for better on the album.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, Kerrick, mothy, Ammocas and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:16 am

Pre-save link here
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:11 pm

holy buckets, it really is Christmas this week
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:13 pm

Kerrick wrote:Based off of those lyrics... I wonder if Extol should be categorized as secular now?  pale   What the heck is this supposed to mean?

It’s a narrow road that gets narrower by the day Crying or Very sad
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Kerrick and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:14 pm

For timezone issues, they arent available yet to everyone, but, here are the links in Youtube...

-

Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:15 pm

Kerrick wrote:Based off of those lyrics... I wonder if Extol should be categorized as secular now?  pale   What the heck is this supposed to mean?

Considering Peter has deconstructed his faith and come out far from a biblical view, it may be safe to say, like the Azusa project with Christer and David, the band will likely have little to say in terms of message. Again, I'll look forward to something more as a general hope but I can't see the evidence that it would be true.

Kind of interesting to think, secular bands often have something strong to say, though it is typically foolish or generally worthless. The lyrics above sound like Carebears and butterflies.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Black Rider, Kerrick, Friday13th, Pethead, mothy and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:57 pm

Pethead wrote:It sounds like vague, spiritualistic, nonsense. 
That's cuz it is!
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider, Friday13th and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:38 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:

Considering Peter has deconstructed his faith and come out far from a biblical view, it may be safe to say, like the Azusa project with Christer and David, the band will likely have little to say in terms of message. Again, I'll look forward to something more as a general hope but I can't see the evidence that it would be true.

Kind of interesting to think, secular bands often have something strong to say, though it is typically foolish or generally worthless. The lyrics above sound like Carebears and butterflies.

Ole seems pretty solid enough in his recent funk solo stuff, but that really is terrible. As the Scriptures say, "a little leaven leavens the whole lump."

I think the songs are pretty solid musically. Sounds kinda like Cynic.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:45 pm

I listen to secular music. But when a boldly Christian band drops the Christian lyrics it rubs me the wrong way. If they want to form a secular band, more power to them. I don’t think Christians can only play Christian music. But this kind of case makes me sad. 

Again, I’m holding out hope that the album will have stronger lyrics on the whole.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Black Rider, Kerrick and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by petrafan007 Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:16 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:

As a deconstructed Christian myself, this doesn't always mean we've "strayed" from faith. It just means we became disillusioned with the religion of Christianity, the bible, and the church. I still believe deeply in God and Jesus, I'm just on my own spiritual journey. I will say it's interesting that I used to be one who railed against bands like Believer and Deliverance for straying from writing Christian music, and now i have a profound respect for them for still STRIVING for faith in something greater, instead of turning hateful/atheist like Roger Martinez. I love seeing people who got lost and then still have hope that this existence has meaning. And I still have a special place in my heart for all the Christian rock and metal bands that I grew up listening to and still listen to until this day.

Last edited by petrafan007 on Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

petrafan007
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:18 pm

I’m not trying to be harsh, but what Jesus do you believe in? Who is he? How do you know him?
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

CrimsonWarrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by petrafan007 Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:21 pm

Pethead wrote:I’m not trying to be harsh, but what Jesus do you believe in? Who is he? How do you know him?

This is something that I would be glad to discuss in a PM as it's not appropriate here. Suffice it to say though that I'm not here to try to convince anyone of anything. I'm just me Smile

petrafan007
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down