The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Xmas albuns/singles are a huge thing at USA?

+10
L8T
Soldier777
deathisgain
eatbugs
Grindboy
scottmitchell74
Black Rider
Pethead
Constantine
Lex Metalis
14 posters

Go down

Why Xmas albuns/singles are a huge thing at USA? Empty Why Xmas albuns/singles are a huge thing at USA?

Post by Lex Metalis Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:26 am

Not a judgement, just a question about cultural stuff...

As a brazilian, never understand as how this Christmas albuns industry is a huge thing in USA.

An álbum that only have sense If be released between last days of october 'til the first week of december. In January 1st no one will pay attention more...
So... why you brothers from USA love so much Xmas tunes? What's the question/reason behind this?
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Why Xmas albuns/singles are a huge thing at USA? Empty Re: Why Xmas albuns/singles are a huge thing at USA?

Post by Constantine Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:54 pm

I personally rarely pay attention to new Christmas songs.
I like the classics but don't have much interest in hearing new interpretations of them, or entirely new songs.  
But that's just me....
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Why Xmas albuns/singles are a huge thing at USA? Empty Re: Why Xmas albuns/singles are a huge thing at USA?

Post by Pethead Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:56 pm

Constantine wrote:I personally rarely pay attention to new Christmas songs.
I like the classics but don't have much interest in hearing new interpretations of them, or entirely new songs.  
But that's just me....
This is pretty much where I’m at. I have a few modern Christmas albums, but I pretty much stick to the classics or faithful renditions of the classics.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:14 pm

I can listen to TSO year round, it's high quality. I have a Spotify playlist of Christmas music but I only listen to it occasionally this time of year.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:17 pm

Black Rider wrote:I can listen to TSO year round, it's high quality. I have a Spotify playlist of Christmas music but I only listen to it occasionally this time of year.
TSO would be my favorite “modern” Christmas music.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:47 pm

This is the best new thing I've heard in some years...

scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, Frozen Fire and 1620 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:54 pm

My attempt at an explanation:

1. Christmas music is big/ubiquitous this time of year. Maybe "why is Christmas music big?" ought to be the question, but it's another question. So I don't know if this is similar in Brazil or not, but this is a reality, it's on the radio, it's playing in stores, it's in commercials, it's in churches, for the month of December (or so) there's a bombardment of Christmas music.

2. By the time you're about 15, you've heard all the Christmas music, ad nauseum. They're the same year in and year out. For a long time I'm sure it was basically all Bing Crosby, and people got tired of it. So the Beatles did a song. And Wham! did a song (or George Michael? I don't know). And then there was TSO, and Mariah Carey, and then August Burns Red. . . and some of them are niche, and some of them are terrible, but the demand/market for Christmas music is huge and the depth of quality is thin, which creates something of a market/opportunity. 

And/or people just like to make Christmas music? I don't know.

For sure I'll listen to Immortal Souls "Christ Mass" 365!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:01 pm

Grindboy wrote:My attempt at an explanation:

1. Christmas music is big/ubiquitous this time of year. Maybe "why is Christmas music big?" ought to be the question, but it's another question. So I don't know if this is similar in Brazil or not, but this is a reality, it's on the radio, it's playing in stores, it's in commercials, it's in churches, for the month of December (or so) there's a bombardment of Christmas music.

2. By the time you're about 15, you've heard all the Christmas music, ad nauseum. They're the same year in and year out. For a long time I'm sure it was basically all Bing Crosby, and people got tired of it. So the Beatles did a song. And Wham! did a song (or George Michael? I don't know). And then there was TSO, and Mariah Carey, and then August Burns Red. . . and some of them are niche, and some of them are terrible, but the demand/market for Christmas music is huge and the depth of quality is thin, which creates something of a market/opportunity. 

And/or people just like to make Christmas music? I don't know.

For sure I'll listen to Immortal Souls "Christ Mass" 365!

here in Brazil we have an equivalent to 'All I Want for Christmas Is You' as most annoying Xmas song ever. Everyone love to hate this song here 😂😂😂

But, at least in my region, what we usually hear concerning  Xmas tunes are some instrumental versions of classics USA tunes, but also some with lyrics too. And, of course, it's strange to us sing about cold, snow, etc as december it's a really hot mounth to us, LOL
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:17 pm

Grindboy wrote:2. By the time you're about 15, you've heard all the Christmas music, ad nauseum. They're the same year in and year out. For a long time I'm sure it was basically all Bing Crosby, and people got tired of it. So the Beatles did a song. And Wham! did a song (or George Michael? I don't know). And then there was TSO, and Mariah Carey, and then August Burns Red. . . and some of them are niche, and some of them are terrible, but the demand/market for Christmas music is huge and the depth of quality is thin, which creates something of a market/opportunity. 

I agree.  I listen to a LOT of Christmas music in December and as a Christian metal fan, there hasn't been a lot out there, meaning I buy up whatever I can get within our genre.  Grave Robber posted recently about how interest in their music drops off after Halloween, so I replied that I listen to them the most in December.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:00 pm

I am not familiar with Christmas around the world, but it's roots in North America come from European immigrants, which give it some deep roots here and is embedded into the culture. Similar to Halloween. The songs are easily embedded as well into the culture. As generations evolve, there will always be someone wanting music to reflect their tastes, so new music will always do. I would also liken it to cover versions of songs you love. Every once in a shile a new song may come along and win approval into this field.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:30 pm

I have 3 Christmas albums:

Stryper Reason for the Season vinyl and cassette
MASS Holden on to Christmas CD
Rock Power Praise Volume 2 Christmas Hymns. 

My wife bought years ago a 3 CD set by Maranatha years ago. Instrumental, Jazz and Classical I think. It's not at all cheesy like some Christmas music and its quite good. I find much of the commercial Christmas music cheesy. I don't have any Trans Siberian Orchestra but I find some of their music quite good as well.

Last edited by Soldier777 on Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:10 pm

I LOVE Christmas music.  I have 6 Channels tuned to it in my car right now.  I've been collecting it in Cassette Tape, CD and now digital form for some time.

There are three Christmas songs, or pieces, that I listen to year- round.  I probably listened to The Wexford Carol at least 300 days out of this past year.   It is one of a very-few Irish traditional carols.  I will put up two vids of it at the bottom.

I love the Metal and Hard Rock versions of Christmas music as well and find a lot of it on Youtube.  

I also like really old stuff that I did not grow up listening to but is older than I am.....such as:  Eddie Higgins Trio, Vince Guaraldi (Peanuts Fame), Benny Goodman Orchestra and Billy May  Very Happy... Relient K "Deck The Halls, Bruise Your Hands" is Still a Fav with my wife and I and our (now) adult children...

To try to answer the OP question of "Why?".....I guess because I can, and, It's Jesus Birthday!  The reason for the season is still important to me year-round.

Last edited by L8T on Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cause I love tiny print........and dots.............)
L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:41 am

I don‘t care about those. Notable exceptions: One Bad Pig - Christmas Time (all year) and Deliverance - Silent Night (on Christmas Eve).
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:38 am

My fav rock/metal Christmas stuff is Theocracy and Project 86 usually start listening early November.

For me it helps me focus on the non chaotic parts of the season and helps remind me whats most important.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:27 am

I will say this though, if you work retail, there's a good chance you will grow to hate Christmas music (though that applies for a lot of the non-Holiday stuff too, I still change the station when I hear Blondie's The Tide is High or Puddle Of Mudd's Blurry).

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:18 pm

Love me some instrumental!!

L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:28 pm

I really enjoy the Christmas season so Christmas music is a part of it.  I've recorded some material, like We Three Kings because I've always disliked the original and wanted to give it a makeover.

Growing up, the music I've heard during the Christmas season is just as much a part of it all as getting together and opening presents.

I've found that writing an original Christmas song is very difficult.  It's hard to capture the "magic" of Christmas.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down