The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

King's X or Galactic Cowboys

+10
TZ75
Raegoul
Constantine
Ammocas
Superjuice
Black Rider
Dustofyears
crucifyd
Sevenoneself
MagnusPrime
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

King's X or Galactic Cowboys

King's X or Galactic Cowboys - Page 2 I_vote_lcap53%King's X or Galactic Cowboys - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 53% 
[ 8 ]
King's X or Galactic Cowboys - Page 2 I_vote_lcap47%King's X or Galactic Cowboys - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 47% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 15

King's X or Galactic Cowboys - Page 2 Empty Re: King's X or Galactic Cowboys

Post by BaleMaster Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:28 pm

For me, it's "no more taking time to land....

Galactic Cowboys!"
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas, TZ75, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:10 pm

Dustofyears wrote:Scratchy funk, Ratt/halen like 80's metal, proggy and psychedelic interludes mashed with gospel soul and Beatles harmonies, even Queenish harmiones in places on the early records— King's X have some thrash elements in their early works too: The intricate prog like rhythm of talk to you, Ooh song, the end of Visions for example.

All those elements blended in so well none of them stood out to proclaim the band's title as This kind of band or that kind of band. It's just the King's X sound.
*Chariot song* was meaning...though Ooh song for dampening chug, stops and starts etc.

Components of thrash can be found scattered throughout the King's X Discography, the first four albums in Particular.

Anyway King's X rant over lol.

I can't Help it... Rolling Eyes
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:16 pm

Dustofyears wrote:

I can't Help it... Rolling Eyes

I see what you did there!  Cool
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SevenWonders Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:36 pm

I love both bands, and I feel like my answer could go either way depending on the day, but today I am going with the Galactic Cowboys. I haven’t been able to get into the last several releases from King’s X. And only the latest from the Cowboys hasn’t really done it for me. 

Early on I got to see the Galactic Cowboys open for King’s X in concert, only I wasn’t nearly the fan of theirs that I later became. I regret not watching with the same enthusiasm I would later have. But both bands have contributed greatly to my musical enjoyment over the years.

SevenWonders
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Black Rider, Superjuice, Ammocas, TZ75, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:21 pm

I have one King's X story and only one King's X story so here it goes:

They were playing at a club downtown and I went to see them with a few friends. When we got there, it was early, and Doug Pinnick was hanging outside the club on a bench with a roadie or somebody.  When I saw him I went back to my car and brought some paraphernalia for him to sign.  He was still there when we got back and I introduced myself, shook his hand, and introduced my friends as well who were big fans.

He signs my stuff and then I notice that he's staring at my shirt, which was a tan Stavesacre shirt with the Stavesacre emblem.  He looks up at me and points and says, "Oh, I love that band."  I said "You do?"  And he replies enthusiastically "YEAH!"

So there you have it folks, Doug Pinnick is a Stavesacre fan.  This was probably right before Speakeasy was released, so he was exposed to the first two albums only.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, TZ75, BaleMaster, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:39 am

Superjuice wrote:I have one King's X story and only one King's X story so here it goes:

They were playing at a club downtown and I went to see them with a few friends. When we got there, it was early, and Doug Pinnick was hanging outside the club on a bench with a roadie or somebody.  When I saw him I went back to my car and brought some paraphernalia for him to sign.  He was still there when we got back and I introduced myself, shook his hand, and introduced my friends as well who were big fans.

He signs my stuff and then I notice that he's staring at my shirt, which was a tan Stavesacre shirt with the Stavesacre emblem.  He looks up at me and points and says, "Oh, I love that band."  I said "You do?"  And he replies enthusiastically "YEAH!"

So there you have it folks, Doug Pinnick is a Stavesacre fan.  This was probably right before Speakeasy was released, so he was exposed to the first two albums only.
 He was also a big fan of the Struggle album from Six Feet Deep.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Superjuice, BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Deadinside Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:44 pm

King's X is one of the most underrated bands in history. They should have been huge, but it never fully happened for them. They have one of the most incredible discographies in rock history.

Deadinside
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Black Rider, Dustofyears and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:51 pm

Deadinside wrote:King's X is one of the most underrated bands in history. They should have been huge, but it never fully happened for them. They have one of the most incredible discographies in rock history.

Galactic Cowboys are even more underrated than them. At least King’s X is held in high regard with the actual musicians. GC does get some respect from fans, but they are not held in as high regard as KX. 

The only thing I’ll say is that I consider Ty Tabor a superior guitarist. Dane Sonnier is no slouch though…
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:14 am

Deadinside wrote:King's X is one of the most underrated bands in history. They should have been huge, but it never fully happened for them. They have one of the most incredible discographies in rock history.
 That's right.

Can't compare GC with King's X. King's X are underrated for reason being they should've been a household name. GC not so much pretty average stuff (ok— IMO)
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Deadinside likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:51 am

Both bands are top-notch IMO, and should have been huge. Both were pretty much screwed over by the music industry. 

GC (my personal fav) always had that extra bit of aggression to their sound (more so than the average grunge band in the 90s), so that may have had something to do with their being passed over. 

King's X had a better shot at success since they'd been on the scene longer and tended to be more "radio friendly" (in a good way), even though they could get pretty heavy themselves.

I do wish GC would put out at least one more album. Make it an even 8.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas, BaleMaster, Dustofyears and Deadinside like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:09 pm

I think I know who Mike Portnoy voted for (after he read the DT threads, which led them to reuniting):

King's X or Galactic Cowboys - Page 2 D3e2lrEtmXnZAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy: "The GALACTIC COWBOYS were (and still are) one of my favorite bands to emerge from the '90s. Great songwriting, killer players and euphoric harmonies. They were always criminally underrated and overlooked, which led to their premature demise in 2000. My last seventeen years have had a hole in my musical palate without them and I couldn't be happier at the announcement of their return! Welcome back boys... I missed you!"
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Ammocas and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:08 pm

Superjuice wrote:I think I know who Mike Portnoy voted for (after he read the DT threads, which led them to reuniting):

King's X or Galactic Cowboys - Page 2 D3e2lrEtmXnZAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy: "The GALACTIC COWBOYS were (and still are) one of my favorite bands to emerge from the '90s. Great songwriting, killer players and euphoric harmonies. They were always criminally underrated and overlooked, which led to their premature demise in 2000. My last seventeen years have had a hole in my musical palate without them and I couldn't be happier at the announcement of their return! Welcome back boys... I missed you!"

Dream Theater also toured with them in the 90s. I think GC were touring for Space In Your Face and DT were touring for Awake.

Space In Your Face was also one of the albums used for inspiration on DT's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Superjuice and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2