The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

King's X or Galactic Cowboys

+10
TZ75
Raegoul
Constantine
Ammocas
Superjuice
Black Rider
Dustofyears
crucifyd
Sevenoneself
MagnusPrime
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

King's X or Galactic Cowboys

King's X or Galactic Cowboys I_vote_lcap53%King's X or Galactic Cowboys I_vote_rcap 53% 
[ 8 ]
King's X or Galactic Cowboys I_vote_lcap47%King's X or Galactic Cowboys I_vote_rcap 47% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 15

King's X or Galactic Cowboys Empty King's X or Galactic Cowboys

Post by MagnusPrime Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:41 pm

I adore both bands, but it's Galactic Cowboys for me. GC has that extra little bit of aggression I guess.

Both bands are amazing and are masters of melody and lush vocal harmonies (of which I'm a HUGE fan, being raised on stuff like the Beatles and the Beach Boys).
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

King's X or Galactic Cowboys Empty Re: King's X or Galactic Cowboys

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:42 pm

I really tried to get into both these bands throughout the years. Both have super high points and some of King's X's best songs are staples in my listening catalogue. But King's X also has way too many lows.

I still voted King's X b/c I could never get into the Cowboys.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:03 pm

this is impossible as they are both sooooo good...
I went w/GC but it's a total photo finish as I can't
really determine a preference...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Ammocas, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:08 am

King's X. Not even close.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:18 am

King's X because Gretchen is a masterpiece and they have the better catalog. Both are great though.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:58 pm

What's the criteria?  Better band or your preference?  Cultural impact? Or more ground-breaking?

Did you know when they were called The Edge they offered Monty Colvin the 2nd guitarist spot, but Monty opted to finish college first.  Then, once he finished college. they removed the offer and decided to be a one guitar band.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:41 pm

Superjuice wrote:What's the criteria?  Better band or your preference?  Cultural impact? Or more ground-breaking?

Did you know when they were called The Edge they offered Monty Colvin the 2nd guitarist spot, but Monty opted to finish college first.  Then, once he finished college. they removed the offer and decided to be a one guitar band.

I think they went though at least a couple of other guitarists as well, before settling on being a 3-piece. Not sure if they were still The Edge when that happened or had already changed their name to Sneak Preview.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:57 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:I adore both bands, but it's Galactic Cowboys for me. GC has that extra little bit of aggression I guess.

Both bands are amazing and are masters of melody and lush vocal harmonies (of which I'm a HUGE fan, being raised on stuff like the Beatles and the Beach Boys).
^This. GC for the aggression….and the Beatles harmonies. King’s X early albums are their best and come neck and neck for me but GC by a smidge.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:11 pm

King's X by a mile.  The 1st two GC albums were great, but after that their song-writing just didn't grab me except for a few songs here and there.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:26 am

Cowboys more up my alley, both are great tho.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, TZ75, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:04 pm

I was a fan of GC before KX. And I like the more aggressive approach of GC. In addition, I think Ben Huggins has a great voice. Very underrated!

That said, I also like early KX. Everything up to Tapehead is either great or very good. Ty Tabor is one of the best players ever. Super influential and unique. He’s a tone master like EVH was.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster, MagnusPrime, Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:04 pm

Constantine wrote:King's X by a mile.  The 1st two GC albums were great, but after that their song-writing just didn't grab me except for a few songs here and there.

Machine Fish is a classic in my book and prog doesn't much better than "The Machine Fish Suit" off At The End of the Day.  Not sure I can vote though since I've ignored KX past 4 albums.  There is not much of a better streak than their debut through Dogman - that's five killers in a row and Earcandy is really good too.  I think only Maiden can top that.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:51 pm

Superjuice wrote:
Constantine wrote:King's X by a mile.  The 1st two GC albums were great, but after that their song-writing just didn't grab me except for a few songs here and there.

Machine Fish is a classic in my book and prog doesn't much better than "The Machine Fish Suit" off At The End of the Day.  Not sure I can vote though since I've ignored KX past 4 albums.  There is not much of a better streak than their debut through Dogman - that's five killers in a row and Earcandy is really good too.  I think only Maiden can top that.

Good point about Maiden.

For me, these bands also had really good streaks:

Metallica ('83-'91)
Testament ('87-'92)
Rush ('76-'81)
Judas Priest ('76-'80)
Black Sabbath ('70-'75)
Queen ('73-'80)
Virgin Steele ('94-'00)
Journey ('78-'83)
Electric Light Orchestra ('71-'77)
Gentle Giant ('70-'76)
Dream Theater ('99-'09)
Spock's Beard ('95-'02)
The Beatles ('65-'69)

...but all of these pale in comparison to the absolute gift of sound that is ABBA! 
(Pethead, you can pay me later.)
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:56 pm

King's X or Galactic Cowboys Img_0712
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:48 pm

Machine Fish is one of my favorites! It’s actually more straightforward Metal than the first two albums. If it wasn’t for the nostalgia of the first two, I could easily say that Machine Fish would be my favorite. The only thing is that it lacks the smooth production of Sam Taylor. But the guitar tone is way more out front! 

So in a nutshell… those three GC albums are gold. They don’t have any fancy lead guitar in the league of Ty Tabor, but the heavy rhythm and quartet of vocal harmonies make up for it. GC did some stuff with their harmony vocals that KX usually didn’t, or couldn’t. Because of the arrangements and GC had four voices instead of three.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:52 pm

OK, I need to listen to GC again; haven't in probably 15 years. Which album do I start with?
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:00 pm

My vote would be to start with Space In Your Face.  It has great vocal harmonies and catchy songs, and it flows fairly well.

I'll check out Machine Fish again since it seems to be popular here.  I remember not liking the harsh production at the time.  Reminded me at the time of Machine Head or bands like that.

I still vote for King's X though, I like their sound and style better overall.

Last edited by Constantine on Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider, Ammocas, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:02 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:OK, I need to listen to GC again; haven't in probably 15 years. Which album do I start with?

Just listen in chronological order. The debut, Space in Your Face and Machine Fish. 

Also check out their more recent reunion album “Long Way Back to the Moon” from 2017.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Ammocas, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:07 pm

Constantine wrote:My vote would be to start with Space In Your Face.  It has great vocal harmonies and catchy songs, and it flows fairly well.

I'll check out Machine Fish again since it seems to be popular here.  I remember not liking the harsh production at the time.  Reminded me at the time of Machine Head or bands like that.

I still vote for King's X though, I like their sound and style better overall.

I hear what you’re saying about the production. It doesn’t have the smooth Sam Taylor touch… 

I may be mistaken, but I think there is a limited reissue of Machine Fish that is remastered from Boones Overstock. It may raise the bass tone a bit to balance out the rough guitar, but since it’s a remaster and not a remix, there is only so much that can be done. 

For me it’s great anyway! I like the dirty guitar crunch.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:17 pm

I love each and every GC album, but the first 2 are 10/10 for me. I was introduced to them through a friend who knew I loved both Metallica and The Beatles. He loaned me the debut GC album and that's all it took. Instant super-fan. I went and got my own copy of the debut and several months later they released Space In Your Face, which I grew to love even more than the debut. 

I had heard of King's X, but didn't know what they sounded like until another friend saw that I was a GC fan and suggested them. First one I bought of theirs was the self-titled from '92. Again - instant super-fan. King's X were never as "thrashy" as GC, but they had the same proggy approach and of course the awesome melodies and harmonies.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Superjuice, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:01 pm

I found the debut GC album by accident. I always would go to the local music store “music plus” after school to look at what metal cassettes they had and new releases. I (like many other kids from my generation) would look at the album artwork as a way to take a chance on something. I looked at the cow-faced spacecraft GC logo and knew it was gonna be something different but cool. Sure enough, it was much heavier than I expected! Not quite thrash, but influenced by it.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:23 am

Scratchy funk, Ratt/halen like 80's metal, proggy and psychedelic interludes mashed with gospel soul and Beatles harmonies, even Queenish harmiones in places on the early records— King's X have some thrash elements in their early works too: The intricate prog like rhythm of talk to you, Ooh song, the end of Visions for example.

All those elements blended in so well none of them stood out to proclaim the band's title as This kind of band or that kind of band. It's just the King's X sound.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas, Constantine, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:15 am

Dustofyears wrote:Scratchy funk, Ratt/halen like 80's metal, proggy and psychedelic interludes mashed with gospel soul and Beatles harmonies, even Queenish harmiones in places on the early records— King's X have some thrash elements in their early works too: The intricate prog like rhythm of talk to you, Ooh song, the end of Visions for example.

All those elements blended in so well none of them stood out to proclaim the band's title as This kind of band or that kind of band. It's just the King's X sound.

Talk To You is one of my favorite King's X songs.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice, BaleMaster, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:13 am

MagnusPrime wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:Scratchy funk, Ratt/halen like 80's metal, proggy and psychedelic interludes mashed with gospel soul and Beatles harmonies, even Queenish harmiones in places on the early records— King's X have some thrash elements in their early works too: The intricate prog like rhythm of talk to you, Ooh song, the end of Visions for example.

Talk To You is one of my favorite King's X songs.
killer song for so many reasons I could ramble about but I'll just say it's killer Smile
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Superjuice, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:24 am

TZ75 wrote:
Machine Fish is one of my favorites! It’s actually more straightforward Metal than the first two albums. If it wasn’t for the nostalgia of the first two, I could easily say that Machine Fish would be my favorite. The only thing is that it lacks the smooth production of Sam Taylor. But the guitar tone is way more out front!
Here's an inside story about one of the songs off of Machine Fish.  Monty talks a lot about the inspiration of writing songs on his podcast and said that "Pattin' Yourself on Your Back" had an unusual motivation for crafting: Nancy Kerrigan.  Go figure.  Not someone in his life that was annoying to him or a snobby politician or actor, but Queen of the Ice, Nancy Kerrigan.

He said he saw her being interviewed on tv one time and found her to be pompous.  This apparently inspired him enough to write a song about her attitude.  Says a lot about his quirky personality and he isn't really phased by someone's squeaky clean public image to cut them up.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next