The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the worst kind of bonus tracks and why is audio interviews?

+8
Raegoul
Ammocas
eatbugs
scottmitchell74
Temple of Blood
Sevenoneself
Pethead
Lex Metalis
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is the worst kind of bonus tracks and why is audio interviews? Empty What is the worst kind of bonus tracks and why is audio interviews?

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:21 pm

It's something that takes away all my excitement when I see a re-release that I've been waiting for and it comes with audio interviews as a bonus. Between interviews and nothing, I prefer nothing

I remember that being the case with the 2010 and 2014 re-releases of Vengeance Rising's 'Once Dead' and 'Release Upon The Earth'. Luckily I got the double limited editions, with a full concert as a bonus.
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

What is the worst kind of bonus tracks and why is audio interviews? Empty Re: What is the worst kind of bonus tracks and why is audio interviews?

Post by Pethead Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:24 pm

I generally do not care for bonus tracks unless they are additional songs that were cut from the album, or demos of songs that didn't make the album. Otherwise, pass.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Staybrite, Lex Metalis and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

What is the worst kind of bonus tracks and why is audio interviews? Empty Re: What is the worst kind of bonus tracks and why is audio interviews?

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:28 pm

Pethead wrote:I generally do not care for bonus tracks unless they are additional songs that were cut from the album, or demos of songs that didn't make the album. Otherwise, pass.
Diddo. Diddo. Diddo.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Lex Metalis and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:37 pm

Pethead wrote:I generally do not care for bonus tracks unless they are additional songs that were cut from the album, or demos of songs that didn't make the album. Otherwise, pass.

I like (almost) all formats: b-sides, demos, live songs, remixes, acoustic versions etc... LESS audio interviews 😂😂😂
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:39 pm

My pickiness with bonus tracks saves me from rebuying albums or buying the deluxe editions of albums. My wife rejoices in that. Razz
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:41 pm

Pethead wrote:My pickiness with bonus tracks saves me from rebuying albums or buying the deluxe editions of albums. My wife rejoices in that. Razz

wives and cd collections = water and oil 😂
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

eatbugs, Pethead, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:43 pm

I think part of my views here are a result of today's modern busy world. If I had the time and energy I would love digging into all of this stuff. But I'm married with 4 kids ages 12-19, involved with local community organizations and very involved with church. This is one area of interest that I've accepted that I don't have time for. But if others have time for this area of interest, I'm cool with that!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:52 pm

My favorite release project was the Human Sacrifice double edition released by Intense Millenium in 2010.

Rare live tracks on Disc 1 and the '87 Demo (ultra rare at this time) and C-Stone '88 concert on Disc 2. Ok, the sources from Disc 2 are terrible, but still passing some energy and ferocity, two of the things that I liked the most in original VR line-up.

In this wave in rereleases, gold cds edition, etc, the lack of bonus in the majority of the projects is what bothering me more. But, to be honest, I probally wouldn't buy any way. The money change between of dollar and brazilian Real are very high.

Hope that no one decide to release an 'ultra blaster mega' edition of Human Sacrifice in a 4 CD edition. My wallet wouldn't like this 😂😂😂
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:54 pm

Part of my issue is that, in general, I don't like live albums. So, live bonus tracks mean nothing to me.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:02 pm

Pethead wrote:Part of my issue is that, in general, I don't like live albums. So, live bonus tracks mean nothing to me.

I like live albuns principally because I start later in the musical scene and also i live in Brazil, and most of the bands i like either never came here or came before i got interested in music and now they're gone. Live albums give me a better sense of the atmosphere at a show. But I agree that some are boring hehe
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:19 pm

I think the worst kind of tracks in general are joke songs.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Staybrite, Pethead, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:22 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I think the worst kind of tracks in general are joke songs.

man, I'm the devil advocate here, because I usually like this 'joke songs', like the rap/death metal hidden track in one of the Crimson Thorn cds haha
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:51 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Diddo. Diddo. Diddo.

3rd.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:04 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with bonus tracks.  I agree interviews are the worst.  I'd rather spend extra to find an original issue than buy a reissue with an interview.  I also like live tracks and demos as long as the sound quality isn't too TOO bad.  I like hearing it all.  My problem is that when I have the original I'm not buying it again just to get 1-2 songs.  This is especially annoying when it's actual studio songs that I don't get to hear.  I'd rather the re-issuing band/label put out the unreleased tracks as a separate collector's disc.  That way those who want the actual CD can get it and everyone can make the choice if we want to hear the other stuff or not.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Lex Metalis, Pethead, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:12 pm

eatbugs wrote:I have a love/hate relationship with bonus tracks.  I agree interviews are the worst.  I'd rather spend extra to find an original issue than buy a reissue with an interview.  I also like live tracks and demos as long as the sound quality isn't too TOO bad.  I like hearing it all.  My problem is that when I have the original I'm not buying it again just to get 1-2 songs.  This is especially annoying when it's actual studio songs that I don't get to hear.  I'd rather the re-issuing band/label put out the unreleased tracks as a separate collector's disc.  That way those who want the actual CD can get it and everyone can make the choice if we want to hear the other stuff or not.
Exactly!

I think the recently released Bride Demo’s were well done. Although these were released many years ago as The Lost Reels vol. I, II, III. But, having them put on vinyl and cd to the specific time period and album they were in was a very good and smart decision.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:43 pm

I don‘t care for demo or livetracks. Hidden tracks were often dope tho.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:44 pm

Unless the bonus tracks are at least good quality demos or unreleased songs, I don't care.  Leave off the interviews, low quality live tracks, unlistenable demo tracks, etc.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Pethead, Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:03 pm

Just release the album as it was originally. Same cover, same track list.

Pathogenic re-release cover... Why? It's hideous. Did they sit back and look at it and go, yeah, look at that. Man we got the eye for this stuff. they gonna love that! Who are these people calling the shots... Call me Donald and fire them!

Vengeance Rising... They had perfect iconic covers... and who was it that gave the okay for the new covers... Call me Donald, fire them! and leave the track listings as they are... The interviews at the end are dull as dish water and frankly just rude!

Better ideas would be to add a booklet, a poster or sticker, badge, action figure or things like that...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Lex Metalis, Pethead, Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:37 am

Dustofyears wrote:Just release the album as it was originally. Same cover, same track list.

Pathogenic re-release cover... Why? It's hideous. Did they sit back and look at it and go, yeah, look at that. Man we got the eye for this stuff. they gonna love that! Who are these people calling the shots... Call me Donald and fire them!

Vengeance Rising... They had perfect iconic covers... and who was it that gave the okay for the new covers... Call me Donald, fire them! and leave the track listings as they are... The interviews at the end are dull as dish water and frankly just rude!

Better ideas would be to add a booklet, a poster or sticker, badge, action figure or things like that...
Action figures would be so dope.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:48 am

Raegoul wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:Just release the album as it was originally. Same cover, same track list.

Yeah can you imagine the re-release of Destruction comes, coming with a collectable, limited addition and edition only, Raegoul figure! And what would the skeezix look like. What about weapons of our warfare with a figurine motif of the album cover personalities. Then you got your Little Jimmy P brown collectable- yeah man. collect the whole darn band with a different member released with each new edition, old and new members all... Imagine Seventh angel album cover locust with that guy with his hands up and shocked expression motif or lament for the weary guy figurine, torch and all... and so on and so fourth. And once they are gone, that's it. Be quite special and people would buy those albums again and maybe pay a little more just for that I am willing to bet. haha!

But keep the albums the same. maybe with a booklet and extra photographs of the time period always welcome.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:09 am

Dustofyears wrote:
Raegoul wrote:

Yeah can you imagine the re-release of Destruction comes, coming with a collectable, limited addition and edition only, Raegoul figure! And what would the skeezix look like. What about weapons of our warfare with a figurine motif of the album cover personalities. Then you got your Little Jimmy P brown collectable- yeah man. collect the whole darn band with a different member released with each new edition, old and new members all... Imagine Seventh angel album cover locust with that guy with his hands up and shocked expression motif or lament for the weary guy figurine, torch and all... and so on and so fourth. And once they are gone, that's it. Be quite special and people would buy those albums again and maybe pay a little more just for that I am willing to bet. haha!

But keep the albums the same. maybe with a booklet and extra photographs of the time period always welcome.
Me if this happens:

What is the worst kind of bonus tracks and why is audio interviews? Giphy
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zelote Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:12 pm

I don't like bonus tracks.  Maybe just in a second disc like Adriangale Final Peace

zelote
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Staybrite, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:29 pm

Sometimes the updated booklet with band photos and such is advertised as the big draw.  I am going to rip the CD and listen to it from my Hidizs player anyway, so I really don't care that much for the booklet after my initial viewing upon opening the disc.  Stickers are cool, but I never actually stick them on anything so they are kind of pointless.  I can't stand the little "trading cards" that some releases have.  There aren't that many Christian rockers out there, so who are we "trading" with?  Are we really going to keep those forever as no one but those of us who bought the reissue really care about them.  Most of the promo items nowadays just help jack up the overall price.  I'm happy with simpler booklets and no promo items if it even shaved a buck off the purchase price!

Heck, if these reissues had MP3s available, I would probably stop buying the CD altogether and just get the downloads nowadays.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Staybrite, Pethead, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:10 pm

Dustofyears wrote:Pathogenic re-release cover... Why? It's hideous. Did they sit back and look at it and go, yeah, look at that. Man we got the eye for this stuff. they gonna love that! Who are these people calling the shots... Call me Donald and fire them!

Yeah that was terrible. The pages in the booklet are terrible too. Horrible fonts, hard to read. I recall it even has a typo on the side of the CD. It reads Pathogenic Ocular Dissonence (should be Dissonance).

When Ted reissued that re-release he thankfully chose to use the original cover. So not all versions of that re-release have that cover.

I don't really care that much any of those original re-releases. I don't like the added blood and the new font on Stop the Bleeding cover. The newest releases didn't have the blood but still had the newer font. Also, on the re-release of Psycho Surgery (this time titled Psychosurgery) also had a new font and also some extra electricity effects. It doesn't really fit on that cover too well as it's CLEARLY made with a computer while the rest of the cover is an actual hand painted picture.

But really, the Pathogenic re-release cover is the worst of them all.

I recall those covers were re-done by the same person who did the Microscopic View cover. That dude and Ted seemed to be very much into new technology.

Airola
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:52 pm

Airola wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:Pathogenic re-release cover... Why? It's hideous. Did they sit back and look at it and go, yeah, look at that. Man we got the eye for this stuff. they gonna love that! Who are these people calling the shots... Call me Donald and fire them!

Yeah that was terrible. The pages in the booklet are terrible too. Horrible fonts, hard to read. I recall it even has a typo on the side of the CD. It reads Pathogenic Ocular Dissonence (should be Dissonance).

When Ted reissued that re-release he thankfully chose to use the original cover. So not all versions of that re-release have that cover.

I don't really care that much any of those original re-releases. I don't like the added blood and the new font on Stop the Bleeding cover. The newest releases didn't have the blood but still had the newer font. Also, on the re-release of Psycho Surgery (this time titled Psychosurgery) also had a new font and also some extra electricity effects. It doesn't really fit on that cover too well as it's CLEARLY made with a computer while the rest of the cover is an actual hand painted picture.

But really, the Pathogenic re-release cover is the worst of them all.

I recall those covers were re-done by the same person who did the Microscopic View cover. That dude and Ted seemed to be very much into new technology.
Electricity coming out of the font... why does that sound so familiar...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next