The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many itens do you have in your collection?

+11
scottmitchell74
Frozen Fire
Second Wind
Soldier777
Ammocas
Grindboy
eatbugs
Temple of Blood
Son of Nun
Pethead
Lex Metalis
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How many itens do you have in your collection? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many itens do you have in your collection?

Post by stevegarveyfan Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:25 am

Constantine wrote:I have maybe 100 CD's right now, of different genres.  Maybe a dozen cassettes and about 20-25 DVD's.  And about 10-15 albums on MP3.

Yes, that is little.  But I no longer collect like I used to.  I used to have a big music hoarding problem and at the peak I had over 20,000 CD's, tapes, and vinyl.  Believe me when I say that much weighs A TON and takes up a huge amount of space!  All of them had to go.  It was many years before I was able to buy anything at all again.  So I've come a really long way.  I can still get caught up in it though so I have to be careful.  I don't want to go back to that lifestyle, you tell yourself it's rewarding but it was actually quite miserable.
I think I understand that.  The collecting bug, if taken to its extreme, can be more burden than blessing.
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

How many itens do you have in your collection? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many itens do you have in your collection?

Post by eatbugs Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:14 pm

I used to say there are three secrets to a good collection (any kind):
1. Financial stewardship.
2. Quality over quantity, like stevegarveyfan said.  Don't buy junk.
3. Don't get rid of stuff.  If it's not junk, it's worth keeping.  If it's junk, why have it in the first place?
Now I have to add #4: Space for all of it (both physical and emotional).

Yeah, I'd love to see the numbers of some of the great collectors.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:26 pm

Constantine wrote:
Ammocas wrote:I’m actually retiring from my job next week and will be on a fixed pension income…
That's awesome, congratulations!   Get out in one piece while you still can....Smile
Thanks, Constantine! 30 years …. And still in one piece…I plan on collecting the pension longer than I worked for it! Now, onto my next job…Domestic engineering Lol!
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:38 pm

I'm in the same boat as Lex Metalis and have everything on a spreadsheet (Excel) that also predates Discogs (heck I started it in the mid-to-late 90's so it might predate common use of the internet to store much of any personal info in a database).

1299 CDs (wow, didn't know it was that many)
753 MP3 albums (legal downloads only)
41 Cassettes (probably half of which are also in CD format)
Zero Vinyl

My wife doesn't give me too much guff about how much I spend on music anymore.  Mostly because I have a budget that I do a pretty decent job of sticking to... also because I cataloged her coffee purchases on year and compared it to my music spending.  She had spent more.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Pethead and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:50 pm

Staybrite wrote:My wife doesn't give me too much guff about how much I spend on music anymore.  Mostly because I have a budget that I do a pretty decent job of sticking to... also because I cataloged her coffee purchases on year and compared it to my music spending.  She had spent more.

lol

😂😂😂
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Wind Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:45 pm

Lex Metalis wrote:
Staybrite wrote:My wife doesn't give me too much guff about how much I spend on music anymore.  Mostly because I have a budget that I do a pretty decent job of sticking to... also because I cataloged her coffee purchases on year and compared it to my music spending.  She had spent more.

lol

😂😂😂
Good one, man. 
As Coffee is not collectable, such a comparison it is not easy on the eye.

Second Wind
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:23 pm

Staybrite wrote:
My wife doesn't give me too much guff about how much I spend on music anymore.  Mostly because I have a budget that I do a pretty decent job of sticking to... also because I cataloged her coffee purchases on year and compared it to my music spending.  She had spent more.

That’s hilarious….I’m gonna try that with her Amazon shopping.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:09 pm

Just don't tell any of your wives you got the idea from this message board... or they will try to shut it down (can't have you getting thoughts on how to "one up" them)!

I just remember one of my grandfathers telling me; "You can't buy beer kid, you just rent it"! (coffee is the same!)  Of course this doesn't work if you buy a lot of coffee yourself.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Frozen Fire and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ChristianDeathMetal Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:14 pm

Discog says I have 1339 items in my collection and that the collection is worth between $10k and $30k (min/max).  But a lot of the rarest things I own haven't sold on discogs in over 6 months, so discogs assigns no value to it.  So, it's actually worth more.  Of course, as with anything like this, it's all about finding buyers if you ever wanted to sell it...

Also, I'm guessing I have 4-500 more CDs thats I haven't uploaded yet...
ChristianDeathMetal
ChristianDeathMetal
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

https://www.facebook.com/christiandeathmetallittlelist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2