The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jayson Sherlock

+10
Second Wind
Lex Metalis
Temple of Blood
Sevenoneself
TZ75
stevegarveyfan
Pethead
Dustofyears
Constantine
MagnusPrime
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Jayson Sherlock Empty Jayson Sherlock

Post by MagnusPrime Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:43 pm

I've always thought Sherlock's drumming took an amazing leap forward between Mortification's self-titled and Scrolls Of The Megilloth. Especially when you consider it was only a year or so between the two albums. Anybody have any inside info on that or links to any interviews he may have done discussing his skills in that time period?
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Jayson Sherlock Empty Re: Jayson Sherlock

Post by Constantine Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:11 pm

I don't know about his interviews about that time period, but I really liked his drumming with Revulsed.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:42 pm

I know he has short clips on YouTube now. But within that time period, not that I am aware of. Great drummer from the get go though, even if the double kick work on the debut sounds like basket balls. Anything he drums in is usually Gold. Though Revulsed I can't get into, but that's not because of Jayson's drumming.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:48 pm

Jayson is amazing. His drumming on the first 3 helps make them so great.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

TZ75, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:36 pm

If memory serves, I think I read that the first album was recorded in 3 days and that Scrolls took 2 weeks.  That might explain some of it at least.
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:28 pm

When I first got into Christian metal in 1991, I couldn’t believe how intense and brutal Scrolls was! His drumming was so unexpectedly awesome. As far as I’m concerned, Jayson was right up there with the best extreme metal players of his time!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:45 pm

stevegarveyfan wrote:If memory serves, I think I read that the first album was recorded in 3 days and that Scrolls took 2 weeks. That might explain some of it at least.That would make a difference!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:03 pm

Not talking about booked studio time LOL. You don't get that much better simply because you have an extra 11 days to record an album.

I'm talking about the huge jump in skill level from one album to the next. Hard to believe it's even the same drummer. 

For 1992, he was pretty much a state-of-the-art drummer. I would play the Scrolls album for friends who listened to nothing but extreme metal and they all said pretty much the same. "That's the same guy from the first album??"

I remember being floored when I heard that album. Steve and Michael upped their game as well, but Jayson shot into orbit LOL!
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:06 pm

I think he was excellent on the debut.  He added some sloppy blast beats on Scrolls (which a lot of death metal drummers were doing at the time) but overall played really well.  I don't think there was such a huge skill increase there although some increase is to be expected from album to album.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:09 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I think he was excellent on the debut.  He added some sloppy blast beats on Scrolls (which a lot of death metal drummers were doing at the time) but overall played really well.  I don't think there was such a huge skill increase there although some increase is to be expected from album to album.

Sloppy? 

Not at all…
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Opeth3232, Dustofyears, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:56 pm

Sloppy... I agree TZ75, there's nothing sloppy at all on scrolls. And I think the drumming on the Debut was great too. Had a kind of dark groove going on.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, TZ75, MagnusPrime and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:24 am

Dustofyears wrote:Sloppy... I agree TZ75, there's nothing sloppy at all on scrolls. And I think the drumming on the Debut was great too. Had a kind of dark groove going on.

I have no complaints with his thrashy drums on the debut. I think the only issue is the lack of production. But for a glorified demo recording, it sounds very good!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:50 am

TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:Sloppy... I agree TZ75, there's nothing sloppy at all on scrolls. And I think the drumming on the Debut was great too. Had a kind of dark groove going on.

I have no complaints with his thrashy drums on the debut. I think the only issue is the lack of production. But for a glorified demo recording, it sounds very good!

Are you counting Break The Curse as the debut or the self-titled?
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:46 am

MagnusPrime wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

Jayson Sherlock Captur12
Not sure if you mean me or T but here's what I was meaning in the pic.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:08 am

MagnusPrime wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

I’m counting the self-titled. Break the Curse was originally just a demo. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break_the_Curse
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Metalis Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:42 am

To me, his evolution from BtC to the self titled album is even more impressive!
Lex Metalis
Lex Metalis
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:01 am

Lex Metalis wrote:To me, his evolution from BtC to the self titled album is even more impressive!

YES!  Exactly.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:40 pm

TZ75I have no complaints with his thrashy drums on the debut. I think the only issue is the lack of production. But for a glorified demo recording, it sounds very good! wrote:

I’m counting the self-titled. Break the Curse was originally just a demo. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break_the_Curse

Yes I know Break The Curse was originally a demo, but you called the debut a "glorified demo recording". That made me wonder which release you were referring to, as the self-titled doesn't really sound like a demo to me.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:53 pm

Lex Metalis wrote:To me, his evolution from BtC to the self titled album is even more impressive!

That's a good point. 

I guess Jayson's performance on SOTM stands out to me more, since the music on BTC and the Self-Titled didn't call for all the blastbeats and crazy fast double bass patterns. Like I said, they all stepped up their game a bit on Scrolls.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, TZ75 and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Wind Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:16 pm

- My guess is that he evolved as a musician through these 3 albums (BtC to Scrolls). Remember that they were really young at that time and not a 100% mature as musicians. So, a year in that age is much more than a year at his current age, the brain can assimilate much more from learning at young age.

- I also think that it is kind of unfair comparing break the Curse to the other albums. the band was clearly finding its way of making music. I wouldn't say Break the Curse is a Death Metal record. It was more of a heavy metal with growling vocals.

- His drumming was already that good in s/t, I think he evolved? Yes, but not that much as some say it doesn't seem like the same guy. 

- Having more time to record in the studio makes a total difference in the final result, mostly when you go from 3 days to to 14 days...

- And, final comment, he certainly have listened to a lot of death metal what helped him develop his skills.

Second Wind
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Temple of Blood, TZ75, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:24 pm

Second Wind wrote:- My guess is that he evolved as a musician through these 3 albums (BtC to Scrolls). Remember that they were really young at that time and not a 100% mature as musicians. So, a year in that age is much more than a year at his current age, the brain can assimilate much more from learning at young age.

- I also think that it is kind of unfair comparing break the Curse to the other albums. the band was clearly finding its way of making music. I wouldn't say Break the Curse is a Death Metal record. It was more of a heavy metal with growling vocals.

- His drumming was already that good in s/t, I think he evolved? Yes, but not that much as some say it doesn't seem like the same guy. 

- Having more time to record in the studio makes a total difference in the final result, mostly when you go from 3 days to to 14 days...

- And, final comment, he certainly have listened to a lot of death metal what helped him develop his skills.
Fair and good points.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself and Second Wind like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:27 pm

It was no big jump musically from BtC to the s/t album. Maybe in a way… it was a demo influenced by aggressive German thrash versus a beefed up death/thrash album in the realm of Sepultura’s Schizophrenia era. The main difference was Steve’s vocals going deeper! I think Sherlock did improved on all three of the albums consecutively. He was in his most “hungry” formative years. 

The blast beats and double bass most definitely progressed beyond the standard thrash style on the previous recordings. It’s sonically a very big jump to my ears!

Last edited by TZ75 on Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:37 pm

Second Wind wrote:- I also think that it is kind of unfair comparing break the Curse to the other albums. the band was clearly finding its way of making music. I wouldn't say Break the Curse is a Death Metal record. It was more of a heavy metal with growling vocals.

BTC was not just "heavy metal". Listen to early Kreator and Sodom. Those bands were thrash/proto-death in the mid 80s, which was the sound that influenced the music on both BTC and the the self-titled. 

Also having more time to record still doesn't account for a change in style and approach. It just means you're not quite as rushed in producing a product.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:52 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:
Second Wind wrote:- I also think that it is kind of unfair comparing break the Curse to the other albums. the band was clearly finding its way of making music. I wouldn't say Break the Curse is a Death Metal record. It was more of a heavy metal with growling vocals.

BTC was not just "heavy metal". Listen to early Kreator and Sodom. Those bands were thrash/proto-death in the mid 80s, which was the sound that influenced the music on both BTC and the the self-titled. 

Also having more time to record still doesn't account for a change in style and approach. It just means you're not quite as rushed in producing a product.

Steve Rowe has said that he was initially influenced by the German thrash like Sodom, Kreator and Destruction. He quickly started to add some death and grind after that. Mortification has always changed musical directions. But that moment in time was amazing! They really showed the world that Christian heavy music can match the secular. Living Sacrifice was another great band, but the Scrolls lineup of Mortification really made waves and made people take notice.

Sherlock’s drums were a huge highlight! No other Christian drummer at the time matched his talent or intensity. Only Ted Kirkpatrick, (but more in a Neil Peart sort of way).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Wind Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:00 pm

Though different styles, I think I prefer Ted K. (Rip) By a nose

Second Wind
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian