The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian metal vinyl

+5
Soldier777
Temple of Blood
Pethead
stevegarveyfan
Sevenoneself
9 posters

Go down

Christian metal vinyl Empty Christian metal vinyl

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:40 am

I've been pretty intrigued by some of you who have record players and a bunch of Christian metal on vinyl. I haven't owned a record player in about 20 years and my family only had gospel and kids records like Bullfrogs and Butterflies and The Janz Team Singers. We even had a few records of some quartets my dad sang in 30 or 40 years ago!

What's similar/different listening to the digital vs. vinyl version of modern Christian metal albums? Does the vinyl make them feel retro, or are record players today superior to those of 40 years ago?
What are you guys paying for a record system these days?
How many Christian metal records do you have? Assuming you can't afford to buy every album on vinyl, how do you decide which ones to purchase?

I'm just really interested whenever you guys talk about this!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Ammocas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Christian metal vinyl Empty Re: Christian metal vinyl

Post by stevegarveyfan Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:23 am

Sevenoneself wrote:I've been pretty intrigued by some of you who have record players and a bunch of Christian metal on vinyl. I haven't owned a record player in about 20 years and my family only had gospel and kids records like Bullfrogs and Butterflies and The Janz Team Singers. We even had a few records of some quartets my dad sang in 30 or 40 years ago!
I just want to know what gospel quartets your Dad sang with.  I love me some old-time southern gospel.

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE Bullfrogs & Butterflies!
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Ammocas likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:30 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:I've been pretty intrigued by some of you who have record players and a bunch of Christian metal on vinyl. I haven't owned a record player in about 20 years and my family only had gospel and kids records like Bullfrogs and Butterflies and The Janz Team Singers. We even had a few records of some quartets my dad sang in 30 or 40 years ago!
I just want to know what gospel quartets your Dad sang with.  I love me some old-time southern gospel.

I don't want to sabotage my own post, but here are some of the other kids gospel records we had, I have so many fond memories of them:
- Psalty's Sing Along (we had some of the later albums but all on cassette)
- Music Machine 1 (The Fruits of the Spirit)
- Papa John's garden
- Antshillvania

Stevegarveyfan, are you familiar with any of these?

As far as southern gospel quartets, you would probably not know any that my dad is in. He attended a small Bible School in Southern Saskatchewan called (at that time) Millar Memorial Bible Institute (William Millar was a convert of D.L. Moody). The chorale and quartets he sang with at MMBI recorded some albums on vinyl, that would have been early 1970's. 

My favourite gospel quartet of his was The Messengers, but I haven't been able to find their music lately; they are not any one of The Messengers that are around today. They had a version of the song "I Heard About..." that was just brilliant, and I still the cassette of it. I'd love to perform it one day with some sort of vocal group!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:52 am

I was really into vinyl when I was a teenager, and collected a bunch of classic rock—especially my two obsessions, Bruce Springsteen and Van Halen. But as I got saved and went to college, I dove headfirst into collecting Christian CDs and left off collecting vinyl. My friend who has always been a vinyl devotee would still give me some as gifts, but I hardly ever listened to them. 

This year I started really getting an interest in vinyl again. At this point I only have a handful of Christian metal and classic Christian rock on vinyl. But I love it and hope to collect more. There's something I find really cool about the format. It has a warm sound and the emphasis on artwork and packaging is appealing to me. Plus it gives me something cool to hunt for at antique stores Razz. I have a 5-in-one stereo that plays vinyl, cassettes, CDs, aux, and radio. It's pretty small and fits in my office. As far as which albums to buy, it usually just depends on what I find for a decent price.

On another note, I grew up with Southern Gospel quartet music, so I have a soft spot for it. The Cathedrals have always been my favorite, although I also really like The Happy Goodmans.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:18 pm

I don't have a ton of vinyl, and only one Christian metal vinyl "To Hell with the Devil" that was just given to me.  I have some vinyl framed that I used to display in my music room.  I greatly prefer CDs, and even cassettes over vinyl.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I don't have a ton of vinyl, and only one Christian metal vinyl "To Hell with the Devil" that was just given to me.  I have some vinyl framed that I used to display in my music room.  I greatly prefer CDs, and even cassettes over vinyl.
Because of the sound? Or the convenience?
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:50 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:I don't have a ton of vinyl, and only one Christian metal vinyl "To Hell with the Devil" that was just given to me.  I have some vinyl framed that I used to display in my music room.  I greatly prefer CDs, and even cassettes over vinyl.
Because of the sound? Or the convenience?

Both!  But like everyone I prefer the larger artwork of vinyl.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:55 pm

When I got into Christian Rock, Hard Rock and Metal in 1985, I started to buy albums on cassette. I had a couple of records given to me and would borrow records. I started to buy CDs in 1992 after getting a CD (Petra Unseen Power) and a CD player in Christmas of 1991. I have at this time over 400 CD albums (I call it CD albums as some come with more than 1 CD or a CD/DVD or Bluray combo. I started collecting vinyl in May/June 2018 and I have 126 LPs. Usually I will get the really good albums or good albums on both formats. Vinyl is great where everything is bigger especially if you like the larger print due to not so great eyesight. 

I bought a Sony record player for around $150.00 in May/June 2018 and I think it was on sale. My Samsung Bluray surround sound system I bought in 2008 has a built in amp and that is where the record player is hooked up to.

Last edited by Soldier777 on Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:11 am

Sevenoneself wrote:
stevegarveyfan wrote:

I don't want to sabotage my own post, but here are some of the other kids gospel records we had, I have so many fond memories of them:
- Psalty's Sing Along (we had some of the later albums but all on cassette)
- Music Machine 1 (The Fruits of the Spirit)
- Papa John's garden
- Antshillvania

Stevegarveyfan, are you familiar with any of these?

As far as southern gospel quartets, you would probably not know any that my dad is in. He attended a small Bible School in Southern Saskatchewan called (at that time) Millar Memorial Bible Institute (William Millar was a convert of D.L. Moody). The chorale and quartets he sang with at MMBI recorded some albums on vinyl, that would have been early 1970's. 

My favourite gospel quartet of his was The Messengers, but I haven't been able to find their music lately; they are not any one of The Messengers that are around today. They had a version of the song "I Heard About..." that was just brilliant, and I still the cassette of it. I'd love to perform it one day with some sort of vocal group!

I've definitely heard of Psalty, and I think I might have a copy of Music Machine.  The rest I don't know.  Southern gospel-wise, it's hard to beat The Cathedrals, The Happy Goodmans, The Hoppers and The Bishops.  Awesome stuff.
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:27 pm

Growing up, my parents played records and even had an 8 track player. They had Elvis, The Beatles, other sixties pop bands and then became Christians and started buying gospel records. They did have Bullfrogs and Butterflies…and The Music Machine(Fruits of the Spirit) for us kids. Lol…

My dad bought The Imperials’ "Sail On” on vinyl and I always loved that album…especially their early version of "Water grave.” When I was 12 my parents bought me a basic automatic record player…and I bought my first vinyl which was Resurrection Band "Colours” and that started my vinyl collecting. I didn’t know I was collecting, because that was really all we had along with cassettes.
When cd’s came out, I switched to them because it was so much better sounding than cassettes and scratchy poppy records.

I got back into vinyl around 2015 when I found my old records in my mothers basement. Most of them were warped from being stored on a bottom shelf across from the furnace(thanks mom!) they were also mostly ruined from an earlier flood in the basement. So, I went on a mission replacing as much of them as I could find on Discogs, eBay and other secondhand stores.

My kids bought me a record player for Father’s Day around 2016 or 2017…I can’t remember…and then I started picking up a lot of the reissues being released from Roxx, Girder and Boones. Lately, though, it’s getting too expensive and I’m very selective now with what vinyl I purchase.

All that being said, I still love cd’s for the convenience of size and portability. I do also buy digitally once in a while for stuff I cannot find on cd… or if it’s from Europe and shipping is too expensive.
I do love vinyl for the artwork and lyrics being larger in size(easier on the eyes!). There also is definitely a warmth and full sound for sure on most vinyl if mastered properly for vinyl….especially on the older records.

Listening to records definitely makes you sit down and enjoy the music because you have about 20 minutes and then you gotta flip em. But I find that when I have the time, there is nothing like listening to vinyl and enjoying the artwork.
Unfortunately, most of us don’t have a lot of time between work, raising kids and life in general. I find most of my listening to music is popping a cd in the CD player when I’m driving back and forth to work in my car.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:35 am

I also grew up with The Imperials "Sail On".  Such greatness, and I love it to this day.  Have it on CD, in fact.  Also Dallas Holm & Praise Live and B.J. Thomas's "Home Where I Belong".  Love 'em all!
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Ammocas, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:27 am

When I started listening to Christian music (or music in general) around 1990, vinyl was dead and the CD was the new big thing, next to cassettes, which were cheaper. Most Christian metal albums from that time were not even released on vinyl btw. Consequently, my record collection consisted of cassettes and CDs.

Later I switched first to secular hardcore, where vinyl, in particular 7“ eps were still pretty much alive, and then on to secular hip hop where vinyl was still the gold standard. So I have a large vinyl collection of worldly rap and some straight edge classics, which I don‘t listen to anymore as I cut off the secular stuff entirely when I came back to the faith and Christian music.

I can see the appeal of vinyl releases but I never was a fan of rereleases. If I would buy Christian metal vinyls it would have to be originals. However, I do not want to start another useless pastime of collecting idle goods like the dude who built a barn for his crops and then died the night when it was finished. 

But if you have nice Christian vinyls, I am happy for you guys. I guess you could do worse with your money than supporting the Christian music industry and hopefully the bands get a cut too.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Ammocas, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:39 pm

stevegarveyfan wrote:I also grew up with The Imperials "Sail On".  Such greatness, and I love it to this day.  Have it on CD, in fact.  Also Dallas Holm & Praise Live and B.J. Thomas's "Home Where I Belong".  Love 'em all!
Where in the world did you find The Imperials "Sail On” on cd? Is it a burned cdr? I didn’t think they put it on cd since it came out in 1978 or 77?  You’re right though….such greatness! I hope someday they reissue it and put it on cd or at least make it available as a digital download.
Yeah man, B.J. Thomas, Dallas Holm….all really good stuff back then.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Roebuckryan Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:48 pm

Sup everyone! Motivik’s “Death of the Gunman” is now available at Roxx Records. If you’re a collector, it’s the only time it’s coming to vinyl. It includes an additional track, “Harbinger of Demise.” Less than 50 left out of 100 pressed. New album coming in late spring/early summer! We appreciate your support! God Bless.
Roebuckryan
Roebuckryan
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobi Elektrik Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:46 am

I started listening to metal in 1996 but it took a couple of years for me to discover most of the Christian bands cause I didn't have any friends listening to metal and the internet wasn't such a great resource before 2000.
Interestingly "evil" Napster changed a lot for me. It was a time when the internet connections in Germany were still VERY slow (it took 20 to 30 minutes to download ONE song IF the P2P connection was good). But this was the only option for me to explore the few bands I had only read about in the internet before.
So I discovered a lot of new (old) music and at the same time I gained interest for vinyl. And it was a perfect time for this: On the one hand it was the time before vinyl got a fad again and also shipping costs were much lower back than.
So I bought a lot of used vinyl on ebay from the US and UK for moderate prices. Average price was maybe USD 25.00 including shipping costs to Germany!
Some of the more rare records are...

Believer - Extraction from Mortality
Believer - Sanity Obscure
Believer - Dimensions
Living Sacrifice - Reborn
Living Sacrifice - The Hammering Process
Mortification - Scrolls of the Megilloth (white 12" + transparent 7")
Mortification - Post Momentary Affliction (white 12")
Sacrament - Haunts of Violence
Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice
Vengeance Rising - Once Dead

On the other hand it was still common to press vinyl in the hardcore / punk scene. And you could get most of these releases from Facedown or Solid Stare Recs. easily at the biggest German hardcore online distro for prices between 13 and 17 bucks. I'm not listening to hardcore anymore but I still have some gems in my collection like:

Focal Point - Suffering of the Masses
Strongarm - The Advent of a Miracle
Zao - The Splinter Shards The Birth of Separation

I'm not really into Christian metal these days anymore so I lost a bit track on all the (re)releases. Just noticed that the prices are quite expensive. I'm aware of the production prices and low pressing numbers so I know where the prices come from (not from greed!). But it's a reason why I'm a bit in a love-hate-relationship with vinyl these days. I still buy records but I put MUCH more thoughts into a purchase than I did years ago even though my income has increased more than the prices of vinyl. :-D
Tobi Elektrik
Tobi Elektrik
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:18 am

Tobi Elektrik wrote:I started listening to metal in 1996 but it took a couple of years for me to discover most of the Christian bands cause I didn't have any friends listening to metal and the internet wasn't such a great resource before 2000.
Interestingly "evil" Napster changed a lot for me. It was a time when the internet connections in Germany were still VERY slow (it took 20 to 30 minutes to download ONE song IF the P2P connection was good). But this was the only option for me to explore the few bands I had only read about in the internet before.
So I discovered a lot of new (old) music and at the same time I gained interest for vinyl. And it was a perfect time for this: On the one hand it was the time before vinyl got a fad again and also shipping costs were much lower back than.
So I bought a lot of used vinyl on ebay from the US and UK for moderate prices. Average price was maybe USD 25.00 including shipping costs to Germany!
Some of the more rare records are...

Believer - Extraction from Mortality
Believer - Sanity Obscure
Believer - Dimensions
Living Sacrifice - Reborn
Living Sacrifice - The Hammering Process
Mortification - Scrolls of the Megilloth (white 12" + transparent 7")
Mortification - Post Momentary Affliction (white 12")
Sacrament - Haunts of Violence
Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice
Vengeance Rising - Once Dead

On the other hand it was still common to press vinyl in the hardcore / punk scene. And you could get most of these releases from Facedown or Solid Stare Recs. easily at the biggest German hardcore online distro for prices between 13 and 17 bucks. I'm not listening to hardcore anymore but I still have some gems in my collection like:

Focal Point - Suffering of the Masses
Strongarm - The Advent of a Miracle
Zao - The Splinter Shards The Birth of Separation

I'm not really into Christian metal these days anymore so I lost a bit track on all the (re)releases. Just noticed that the prices are quite expensive. I'm aware of the production prices and low pressing numbers so I know where the prices come from (not from greed!). But it's a reason why I'm a bit in a love-hate-relationship with vinyl these days. I still buy records but I put MUCH more thoughts into a purchase than I did years ago even though my income has increased more than the prices of vinyl. :-D
Nice stuff.  I‘d love to have the Believer records, Scrolls and the VR on vinyl.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:21 pm

Ammocas wrote:
stevegarveyfan wrote:I also grew up with The Imperials "Sail On".  Such greatness, and I love it to this day.  Have it on CD, in fact.  Also Dallas Holm & Praise Live and B.J. Thomas's "Home Where I Belong".  Love 'em all!
Where in the world did you find The Imperials "Sail On” on cd? Is it a burned cdr? I didn’t think they put it on cd since it came out in 1978 or 77?  You’re right though….such greatness! I hope someday they reissue it and put it on cd or at least make it available as a digital download.
Yeah man, B.J. Thomas, Dallas Holm….all really good stuff back then.
It's been a few years, but I think it was something the band had pressed in very limited quantities.  It doesn't look like anything that was done cheaply.  It was issued in a slimline case, but the color cover looks extremely professional, and the logo is printed on the CD itself.  Clearly not a fan pressing.  The CD actually reads "Imperials Ministry", along with their mailing address and web address.
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down