The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up?

+14
Kerrick
Constantine
eatbugs
mothy
zelote
Grindboy
Friday13th
Tobi Elektrik
cailen
Dustofyears
Black Rider
Staybrite
Pethead
Sevenoneself
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up? Empty Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up?

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:23 pm

Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up? Saviour_Machine_-_Saviour_Machine_I
I've never listened to any other full albums by these guys. Does this album stand up over time, or does Eric Clayton have better material out there?
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Friday13th and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up? Empty Re: Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up?

Post by Pethead Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:25 pm

This is the only album I have, but it’s fantastic when I’m in the right mood.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up? Empty Re: Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up?

Post by Staybrite Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:46 pm

Pethead wrote:This is the only album I have, but it’s fantastic when I’m in the right mood.

Same here.  I thought that self-titled album was quite good even though it's not a style that I usually like.
I had two of the Legend albums (not sure which ones) and ended up trading them off.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:03 pm

Not really my style either but that's a killer album. It's more accessible than their others imo.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite, Friday13th, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:09 pm

The memory I have of this album is my friend playing it for me while I was gazing at a neglected Album cover sitting on his floor with a fat cherub like child wiping away bread crumbs under a table. I asked him to play that instead and was glad I did.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by cailen Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:13 am

Classic!

This is what Saviour Machine stands for. I listen to the whole album since it came out.
 It definitely stands the test of time. The whole album. No fillers Cool
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobi Elektrik Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:23 am

True piece of music history. And I'm speaking about music in general, not just the Christian rock and metal scene...
Tobi Elektrik
Tobi Elektrik
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Friday13th, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:10 am

It’s one of the top 5 Christian metal albums of all time, a clear 5/5 star. I own all the Saviour Machine albums, all are worth one’s time but none are quite to that level. Saviour Machine II is the second best, with the title track, Hunger Circle, Amercian Babylon, the Stand and other great tracks. I give it a 4.5, basically essential.
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

eatbugs, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:51 am

I'm with the majority, great album.

As for how it compares to some of his other stuff, it's kind of hard for me. I think "II" is also a great album, but probably nod slightly toward this one. As for the "Legend" series stuff, it's great also but requires a little more patience and attention to fully appreciate, and lacks the payoff of, you know, being done. So it's more impressive on some levels and has some true epicness and many great songs, but then there's an awful lot of just piano stuff that's important to the story arc and the artistic element and if you want to put on headphones and go on a musical journey. . . for like 5 hours then I guess good. But if you just want music, it's still there but you have to dig through and mine for the fun tracks.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Frozen Fire, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:19 pm

Thanks for everyone's input. The reason I asked is because this album has not aged well for me. I really like the style and the grandness but after awhile the songs all started to sound the same to me. From what I remember many of the melody lines and chord progressions were recycled throughout; but I'd need to verify that as I haven't listened to it in a few years. I bought it in mid '90s when it was pretty new and pretty bold/innovative for Christian music. I'm going to spin it again with the aim to appreciate it as much as possible. If most of you are agreeing that it's a strong album it could be that I don't actually enjoy this genre as much as I think I do.

Last edited by Sevenoneself on Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:21 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:Thanks for everyone's input. The reason I asked is because this album has not aged well for me. I really like the style and the grandness but after awhile the songs all started to sound the same to me. I bought it in mid '90s when it was pretty new and pretty bold/innovative for Christian music. I'm going to spin it again with the aim to appreciate it as much as possible. If most of you are agreeing that it's a strong album it could be that I don't actually enjoy this genre as much as I think I do.
I mean, it's easily better than As the World Bleeds  Very Happy
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:24 pm

Pethead wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:Thanks for everyone's input. The reason I asked is because this album has not aged well for me. I really like the style and the grandness but after awhile the songs all started to sound the same to me. I bought it in mid '90s when it was pretty new and pretty bold/innovative for Christian music. I'm going to spin it again with the aim to appreciate it as much as possible. If most of you are agreeing that it's a strong album it could be that I don't actually enjoy this genre as much as I think I do.
Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up? An-example-of-a-sarcastic-meme-comment
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

eatbugs, Friday13th, Frozen Fire, Pethead and mothy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zelote Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:25 pm

I do not like Saviour Machine music style, but this album is for me the different one of his discography. This record is the heaviest of his recordings and I really like it, I don't care for the rest of the band's discography. But this one is a piece of art.

zelote
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Friday13th and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:27 pm

My Older Brother was a huge SM fan but I never could get into them. Im not a guy who listens to music with any real intention or close attention. Its to entertain and SM was never a casual listen, it really took effort to get into the story and music. They were truly groundbreaking in christian music to do what they did and they were good at it.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:39 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up? An-example-of-a-sarcastic-meme-comment
"The Gift of Music." That is all.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:40 pm

The owner of the local Christian bookstore in my hometown (Swift Current, SK: pop. of 15,000 in the middle of the Canadian prairies) received some pushback from the church community when he brought a few copies of this album in. So he went home and listened to the whole thing with the lyrics, and recognized very quickly that it was a journey through Revelations. So he challenged one of his customers--who wanted to return the album b/c it was "unChristian"--to listen to it with his Bible open. As would be expected, the customer returned to apologize for the critique and kept the album.

This story does highlight how much has changed in Christian music in the last 30 years, and I think it's good growth. Gone are the days where this would happen or Phil Keaggy would be forced to include a Christian allegorical story with his instrumental album (The Master & The Musician).
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:46 pm

Pethead wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up? 200
To be honest (and I don't think I've ever admitted it yet on the forum), it doesn't fit lyrically with the rest of the album or metal in general. Musically, there are a few genius sections in the song (I love Val's guitar solo). It should have probably been released as a single for die-hard fans as an "art"-power metal song. But I can't admit that on this forum, so pretend I never said this.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:58 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:
Pethead wrote:
Savior Machine Self-Titled Album - how does it stand up? 200
To be honest (and I don't think I've ever admitted it yet on the forum), it doesn't fit lyrically with the rest of the album or metal in general. Musically, there are a few genius sections in the song (I love Val's guitar solo). It should have probably been released as a single for die-hard fans as an "art"-power metal song. But I can't admit that on this forum, so pretend I never said this.
There’s at least three of us here who don’t like it. So, take heart!
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:06 pm

You and Kerrick, but who's the third?  Wink Wink
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:09 pm

I agree with the majority.  As a stand-alone, this is the best Saviour Machine album.  I personally think it did age well (I listened to it just the other day).  The Legend saga would have been the best ever if it had been finished.  I did finally pick up the III:II "Bumblebee" just to hear how it would end, and even in that bootleg-raw form I can tell it would have been my favorite.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Friday13th, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:16 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:You and Kerrick, but who's the third?  Wink Wink
I can’t divulge that information for the party’s personal safety.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Staybrite, Kerrick and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:02 pm

It's easily their best album and the most accessible one.  
Not something I would listen to often but certainly a groundbreaking Christian metal album.
More artistic and poetic than most metal albums.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Friday13th Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:09 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:You and Kerrick, but who's the third?  Wink Wink

the devil 😜
Friday13th
Friday13th
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Kerrick, eatbugs and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:49 pm

lol! Spam

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:03 pm

Kerrick wrote:lol! Spam
Kerrick, my mental picture of you is the devil with a big, wicked smile, as your avatar has been the present one since I joined the CMR!!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next