The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

+8
ThomasEversole
alldatndensum
Sevenoneself
Staybrite
Soldier777
deathisgain
Raegoul
oldschooldoom
12 posters

Go down

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power Empty The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Post by oldschooldoom Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:06 pm

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power
Has anyone else been checking out this brand new billion dollar Amazon Prime LOTR & Hobbit prequel series?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7631058/?ref_=tt_ov_inf
oldschooldoom
oldschooldoom
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power Empty Re: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Post by Raegoul Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:59 pm

Watched episode one and it was very cheesy. House of Dragons is way better imho. Will still watch the other episodes, my wife liked it.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power Empty Re: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Post by deathisgain Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:14 pm

I watched both episodes. I thought it was pretty decent. The effects seemed to be on par with the films. The acting is not as great, but most of them are relative newcomers. The story is intriguing enough, but not on par with the films (books). I'm cautiously optimistic.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Staybrite, oldschooldoom and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:39 pm

I saw the 2 new episodes and they aren't bad. I went and watched the Hobbit trilogy where I only saw parts of the movies and I have the last 20-30 min to watch of the last one. I will be going through the LOTR trilogy. I was them years ago and I need to refresh my memory. Over all the series seems pretty good.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

oldschooldoom and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Staybrite Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:51 pm

I saw the first episode and thought the writing seemed weak and the acting wasn't a whole lot better.  (probably from too many character introductions and weak story-line development)
I watched the second episode last night and found it to be a vast improvement over the first episode (but still not amazing).
I will definitely try the 3rd episode.  If it continues in the vein of the second episode it could turn into a pretty decent series.
Staybrite
Staybrite
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:06 am

I'll watch once there's 5 or 6 episodes out and I can binge watch in 1 week.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:00 pm

I liked the movie trilogy but didn't see The Hobbit as I didn't think we needed three films from one book.  

I probably won't see this either.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:21 pm

I haven't watched this myself, but I *heard* the very first conversation in the series is a 'white man' berating a 'dark skinned elf' for dark skinned reasons, and then a 'wise white woman' understands the dark skinned elf.  

Sounds like a woke Hollywood narrative to me.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:10 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:I haven't watched this myself, but I *heard* the very first conversation in the series is a 'white man' berating a 'dark skinned elf' for dark skinned reasons, and then a 'wise white woman' understands the dark skinned elf.  

On the flipside, the elves speak Oxford English, the dwarves have a Scottish accent.  Rolling Eyes
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

ThomasEversole likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:19 pm

ThomasEversole wrote:I haven't watched this myself, but I *heard* the very first conversation in the series is a 'white man' berating a 'dark skinned elf' for dark skinned reasons, and then a 'wise white woman' understands the dark skinned elf.  

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Looks like you have a contrary opinion there, buddy.

affraid  Monkey Biz

You will now be reported for wrongthink. (I probably will be too LOL!) 

Have a nice day.  flower

NO POLITICS.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power 1f648  The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power 1f649  The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power 1f64a
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick and ThomasEversole like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:20 pm

Raegoul wrote:

On the flipside, the elves speak Oxford English, the dwarves have a Scottish accent.  Rolling Eyes
The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3atmF47pO-D7MH3jHvGm6AdmgUpbnerrS4g&usqp=CAU
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

ThomasEversole, BaleMaster, MagnusPrime and Raegoul like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:35 pm

alldatndensum wrote:I liked the movie trilogy but didn't see The Hobbit as I didn't think we needed three films from one book.  

I probably won't see this either.
Re: your decision to not watch the Hobbit Trilogy.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power 6j13g8
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:44 pm

The Hobbit movies had a brilliant casting choice in Martin Freeman, but otherwise they stunk like my kid’s diaper genie.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

ThomasEversole and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guenther321 Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:36 pm

I'm gonna have to rewatch the episodes - I don't remember anything like this at all. The closest I can remember is a dark skinned elf is in love with a white human woman.  They only hint at it, but a white elf then reminds the other elf that nothing good comes from elf-human love relationships.  It is not near the beginning of episode 1, maybe 2?  Other than that I have no idea what it could be about.  Personally, I think they've handled skin color pretty well - they don't mention it at all.

My only complaint so far:  Is that everyone seems so clean. And the make-up even Nori (Harfoot) seems to be wearing heavy amounts of blush.  

I've been listening to a podcast on Spotify called The Council Of Elrod and its given me quite a bit of back story on the characters and storyline - no spoilers since they don't know how it will be dealt with, but they just fill in the things that Tolkien wrote...

Guenther321
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Theonymic Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:32 pm

They are taking events that are supposed to be thousands of years apart and making them concurrent. They also totally rewrote Galadriel's motives for staying in Middle Earth. The "wisdom" that Finrod whispers to her in Episode 1 is anything but wisdom.

Nevertheless, there are a few moments where they actually do something right, storywise, and it's definitely a visual treat most of the time.

Theonymic
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guenther321 Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:57 pm

They did make a number of changes that I am just learning as I listen to The Council of Elrod podcast on Spotify. Honestly though, its not like Jackson's movies were much more faithful to Tolkien.

Guenther321
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Theonymic Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:05 pm

Guenther321 wrote:They did make a number of changes that I am just learning as I listen to The Council of Elrod podcast on Spotify.   Honestly though, its not like Jackson's movies were much more faithful to Tolkien.
I don't have an exact metric of faithfulness, so I can't say for sure. I was definitely perturbed by the chronological compression and extra characters of the Hobbit trilogy; and the omission of the Rangers, Tom Bombadil, and the Scouring of the Shire, as well as the changes to Aragorn, Ents, Faramir, and Denethor, were all rather unfortunate for LotR. Nevertheless, I still have more of a feeling of "yep, that's so-and-so" for at least some of the characters (such as LotR Galadriel - wow!) with Jackson than I have with Bezos.

Theonymic
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guenther321 Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:59 am

For me at least, it is a mix of time and ignorance that has put Jackson's movies in a special place in my mind. I just didn't know how good or bad they were for accuracy at the time, so I just enjoyed them for what they are without comparison. With the series, I haven't had any time with them really and I have learned perhaps too much to ignore, so maybe in a year or so I'll be able to say if I like it as much.

Guenther321
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

oldschooldoom and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Theonymic Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:23 pm

Let me also say that I regret Jackson not closing Eowyn's character arc, learning that being a source of healing to those who are sick and hurt is every bit as glorious as being a warrior. I wonder (hope, even) that Amazon does this with Galadriel, perhaps with Celeborn being her Faramir.

Theonymic
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guenther321 Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:21 pm

I just did some checking and the "wise white woman" is one of the minority characters people are complaining about - the actress is Iranian, so by some U.S. standards she's not white.

Guenther321
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by deathisgain Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:06 pm

I watched the last episode on Sunday, and I think I laughed out loud a few times at some things. I really liked the show in the beginning, but some of the writing is just crapping out on this.
deathisgain
deathisgain
The Warpriest, bringer ov DOOM (finally)

https://www.facebook.com/deathisgain713

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:30 am

At least there was some action in the last episode.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

deathisgain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guenther321 Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:27 pm

deathisgain wrote:I watched the last episode on Sunday, and I think I laughed out loud a few times at some things. I really liked the show in the beginning, but some of the writing is just crapping out on this.
Yeah, I think the writing has been very inconsistent.  Some moments are great and then you have a scene that reminds me of the BBC Narnia films - and thats really bad...

Guenther321
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down