The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for some American experiences (70s southern rock, country...) - suggestions please!

+7
_wes
Constantine
Black Rider
alldatndensum
L8T
Pethead
Andreas89
11 posters

Go down

Looking for some American experiences (70s southern rock, country...) - suggestions please! Empty Looking for some American experiences (70s southern rock, country...) - suggestions please!

Post by Andreas89 Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:06 pm

So I've been having a great time with basically two typical American musical streams: southern rock (broadly speaking) and country.

Southern rock: I love the old Lynyrd Skynyrd stuff, I also love those olde ZZ Top albums and I recently started to dive into CCR partly because my mom used to love them. Maybe I misclassified these groups as a whole as southern rock, but they all have this down to earth USA feel to them which I find myself enjoying more and more. It's a bit of a daunting task to find out more of that 70s goodness, I kinda stopped after The Allman Brothers and Molly Hatchet (are those even representative?).

Country: to be quite honest my first country experience was the country radio station in GTA: San Andreas. I loved lots of the songs on there though, especially the Statler Brothers. And recently I found myself enjoying Gunfighter Ballads by Marty Robbins. But I'd like to know what the classic country singers/albums are, especially with male vocalists.

So since most of you are from the States, I was hoping that you could provide me with some tips or insights. I trust you guys more than articles by The Rolling Stone and all those other things I found when googling my questions.
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Looking for some American experiences (70s southern rock, country...) - suggestions please! Empty Re: Looking for some American experiences (70s southern rock, country...) - suggestions please!

Post by Pethead Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:15 pm

For country, you can’t go wrong with Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Willy Nelson, George Strait, and Randy Travis. I also recommend Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers since you liked The Statler Brothers.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Andreas89 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Looking for some American experiences (70s southern rock, country...) - suggestions please! Empty Re: Looking for some American experiences (70s southern rock, country...) - suggestions please!

Post by L8T Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:35 pm

I have precious memories of sitting on the front porch of my grandmas house listening to Hank Williams Senior.  We were listening to this small record player in between us and when the record would get to the end she would say "Sugar, turn that record over".  

Hank Williams Senior doesn't have a ton of work cause he died young but I highly recommend it.  

I Love the old country, although the country of the 70's was very hit or miss for me.  

Guitar-wise, Merle Travis and Chet Atkins have very distinct styles that many of us who choose to abuse our fingers on a fret board "attempt" to emulate.   Razz

Doyle Dykes is a modern musician that plays in-the-style-of Merle Travis and Chet Atkins.  He has a Youtube channel with his "Sunday String Along".....I just Love him and his testimony and he is a Freaking Freak that can just play like few others.  

Marty Stuart played with the old-school country stars, just like Doyle Dykes.  Marty and his band The Superlatives put a modern (electric) spin on what I consider Country music.  Marty got Kenny Vaughn to be a guitarist in his band.....Marty backed up Kenny on his LP......I LOVE that stuff!!....two Great guitarists in the same band enjoying each other.  That's the kind of stuff that hits me in the gut and makes me smile.  

Anyway, I have been binging Marty Stuart and The Superlatives stuff for the last year and enjoying it very much.

Yesterday, at work, a patient and I were listening to Charlie Pride.  I suggest you check him out.

Last edited by L8T on Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...cause I love tiny print......)
L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

deathisgain, Andreas89 and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:14 am

Thanks guys, that helps a lot Smile
Andreas89
Andreas89

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:16 am

OK I was in Berlin to pick up the passport of my youngest today at the Dutch embassy, and I bought a 2 CD compilation album by Hank Williams Senior, all gospel songs apparently.

Pethead's story about his grandma really struck a chord Razz And my wife seems to like it (it's playing right now).
Andreas89
Andreas89

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:24 pm

If you want real country music with a Christian message, not today's pop with a fiddle or a fake nasal twang, check out the online station HLE Radio.  They play a ton of artists that hold true to more traditional forms of country music and that shine brightly the name of Jesus.  This isn't regurgitated worship music with the country sound.  This isn't southern gospel with 4 guys and a piano player.  This is real country music that sings original songs about the Lord.

My brother is super picky about anything gospel related.  He loves this station and even has gotten their church service on there on Sundays being beamed around the world.  If he says it is really good, then I believe him. He can't stand most of what K-Love or other CCM stations play but loves HLE Radio.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Andreas89, Pethead, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:25 pm

I'd add Waylon Jennings for country, Marshall Tucker band for southern rock and Charlie Daniels for a mix of the two. Charlie became a believer and did a couple albums for the Christian market.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Andreas89, BaleMaster and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:03 pm

Yes definitely Marshall Tucker for some southern rock.
L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Andreas89 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:48 am

alldatndensum wrote:If you want real country music with a Christian message, not today's pop with a fiddle or a fake nasal twang, check out the online station HLE Radio.  They play a ton of artists that hold true to more traditional forms of country music and that shine brightly the name of Jesus.  This isn't regurgitated worship music with the country sound.  This isn't southern gospel with 4 guys and a piano player.  This is real country music that sings original songs about the Lord.

My brother is super picky about anything gospel related.  He loves this station and even has gotten their church service on there on Sundays being beamed around the world.  If he says it is really good, then I believe him. He can't stand most of what K-Love or other CCM stations play but loves HLE Radio.
You answered my follow-up question that I wanted to save for like six months later Razz Thanks a lot Very Happy
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:43 pm

Here are some more Southern rock classics to check out, from bands not mentioned yet:

The Outlaws - Green Grass & High Tides
The Outlaws - Ghost Riders In The Sky
The Outlaws - There Goes Another Love Song
Henry Paul Band - So Long
Henry Paul Band - Grey Ghost
Henry Paul Band - Crossfire
Rossington Collins Band - Don't Misunderstand Me
Rossington Collins Band - Prime Time
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken
Little Feat - Oh Atlanta
Blackfoot - Highway Song
Blackfoot - Train Train
Johnny Van Zant - Coming Home
Charlie Daniels Band - The South's Gonna Do It Again
Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia

Last edited by Constantine on Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider, _wes, Andreas89 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:28 pm

^I had that Rossington Collins LP on cassette at one time.  There were several songs that I played over and over, including "Don't Misunderstand Me".... Cool
L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by L8T Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:39 pm

For your consideration, Bob Wills.

L8T
L8T
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Andreas89 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:54 am

^That's got a nice vibe going on, thanks for the tip Smile
Andreas89
Andreas89

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:14 am

Constantine wrote:Here are some more Southern rock classics to check out, from bands not mentioned yet:
Great suggestions, especially Outlaws (LOVE those) and Blackfoot, thanks!
Andreas89
Andreas89

_wes, Constantine and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by _wes Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:12 am

Southern rock is a mix of blues & country, and jam band. The Allman Brothers is a great start - Eat a Peach, and Live at Fillmore East, then Brothers & Sisters and most of the catalog. Also may want to check out Blackberry Smoke. Not a bad song in the catalog and they often have country guests. Good stuff. Others: Black Crows, Gov’t Mule. Great genre with lots of great music!!
_wes
_wes
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Location : Burke, VA - > Panama City, FL - > Montgomery, AL > Panama City FL (Lynn H aven) > DC > Dayton, OH > Huntsville, AL

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:48 am

From All My Friends, a tribute to Greg Allman. The whole thing is worth a listen, especially when Vince Gill plays.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Theonymic Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:19 pm

Pethead wrote:For country, you can’t go wrong with Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Willy Nelson, George Strait, and Randy Travis. I also recommend Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers since you liked The Statler Brothers.
Don't forget Merle Haggard or The Highwaymen.

Theonymic
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:30 pm

Shane Smith and The Saints 

https://youtu.be/Gjak2LnYlrA

Shane Smith and The Saints

Not strictly Country - they are a combo of Roots, Red Dirt, Folk, Rock, Bluegrass and Country...but yes they fit generically in the country realm.

However,  note their subtle,  sneaky heaviness.

https://youtu.be/8cnhbqEZn_4

It was awesome watching 1000 cowboy hats start banging when this went off in concert.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:36 pm

Albums you need (you might have some of these):

Randy Travis: Storms of Life, Always and Forever, Old 8x10

Alan Jackson: Here in the Real World, Don't Rock the Jukebox, A Lot about Livin' (And a Little 'bout Love)

George Strait: anything, but start with Strait from the Heart, Right or Wrong, Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind, Ocean Front Property, Chill of an Early Fall, Lead On, Blue Clear Sky, Carrying Your Love with Me

Reba McEntire: Whoever's in New England, For My Broken Heart 

Dwight Yoakam: Hillbilly Deluxe 

George Jones: I Am What I Am, Cold Hard Truth
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:04 pm

L8T wrote:Marty Stuart played with the old-school country stars, just like Doyle Dykes.  Marty and his band The Superlatives put a modern (electric) spin on what I consider Country music.  Marty got Kenny Vaughn to be a guitarist in his band.....Marty backed up Kenny on his LP......I LOVE that stuff!!....two Great guitarists in the same band enjoying each other.  That's the kind of stuff that hits me in the gut and makes me smile.  

Anyway, I have been binging Marty Stuart and The Superlatives stuff for the last year and enjoying it very much.
This is who I was going to suggest. I'm not really into country / bluegrass, but the Superlatives have a special appeal to me.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Theonymic Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:16 pm

There are a lot of good suggestions already. Let me second Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, and Dwight Yoakum in particular, as well as add Clint Black, Blackhawk, John Anderson, and Brooks and Dunn (up to If You See Her). There are others, but I think this is a good place to start.

Theonymic
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Andreas89 and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:17 pm

Theonymic wrote:There are a lot of good suggestions already. Let me second Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, and Dwight Yoakum in particular, as well as add Clint Black, Blackhawk, John Anderson, and Brooks and Dunn (up to If You See Her). There are others, but I think this is a good place to start.
Good call on Brooks and Dunn. Brand New Man is a great album.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys, gonna get around to checking all of them.

Pethead wrote:...

Alan JacksonA Lot about Livin' (And a Little 'bout Love)
This is the only one I have from that list. I love it and my wife also 'discovered' it recently.
Andreas89
Andreas89

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:46 pm

Whiskey Meyers is good, modern southern rock and check out Turnpike Troubadours.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by WildWorld Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:50 pm

Hank Williams Jr is pretty essential too.

WildWorld
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Andreas89 and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down