The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30 Years Ago Today Tourniquet Released "Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance."

+10
Ammocas
Sevenoneself
Constantine
Black Rider
zelote
Pethead
TZ75
cailen
BaleMaster
PlaceOfASkull
14 posters

Go down

30 Years Ago Today Tourniquet Released "Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance." Empty 30 Years Ago Today Tourniquet Released "Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance."

Post by PlaceOfASkull Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:52 am

I personally don't listen to this one that much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathogenic_Ocular_Dissonance
Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance is the third studio album by the American Christian metal band Tourniquet. It was originally released on Intense Records in 1992 to the Christian market and later released on Metal Blade Records in 1993 to the secular market. It is the last Tourniquet album to feature vocalist Guy Ritter, who left the band after the recording of the album. It was independently re-released on Pathogenic Records in 2001 with digital remastering, two bonus live tracks from the 2000 Dutch Flevo Festival featuring then-lead vocalist Luke Easter, and new cover art (with "Dissonance" misspelled as "Dissonence" on the tray liner edges). Another remaster was released, by Retroactive Records, on June 26, 2020 with the original cover art, an expanded album booklet, and four different bonus tracks. Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance was voted as the "Favorite Album of the 1990s" by readers of HM Magazine. In 2010, HM Magazine ranked it #23 on the Top 100 Christian metal albums of all-time list.[3]

PlaceOfASkull
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

30 Years Ago Today Tourniquet Released "Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance." Empty Re: 30 Years Ago Today Tourniquet Released "Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance."

Post by BaleMaster Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:51 am

👍
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

30 Years Ago Today Tourniquet Released "Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance." Empty Re: 30 Years Ago Today Tourniquet Released "Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance."

Post by cailen Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:14 am

I remember that year and the moment I listened to Pathogenic the first time.

Before it was released I was thinking the best days of METAL have sadly passed away and a lot of music that didn´t fit to my taste was released.

Than I listened to Pathogenic and heard that thick and broad sound, songs with power and aggression but yet melodic and with great harmonies. Some fast forward thrash with perfect vocals and some fantastic effects used on all instruments. With a band that played their music so tight and precise alltogether and I was thinking: Yes that is the way new music of the 90ies should be and sound like!
cailen
cailen
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Black Rider, Friday13th, Ammocas and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:37 am

I used to like it a lot more than I do now. It’s a very good album, but this is when they went a bit too much into the prog direction.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:32 am

One of the greatest albums ever made. I can’t fathom how many times I’ve listened to it.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Black Rider, Friday13th, Ammocas, scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zelote Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:01 am

I like this album, this was the last one with the classic lineup of Tourniquet, and if you look the credits you realize that Gary,Guy and even Victor has credits on the songs. 

I listen right now Stop the Bleeding and I was thinking about the Guy Falsseto, he never use this again, in any record. 

Anyway, this Pathogenic record is a masterpiece.

zelote
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Pethead and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:46 pm

This is when I really got on board with TQT, the first one is good but the over the top vocals wore me out. And now I feel really old.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:40 pm

I like it better than Psycho Surgery for sure.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:36 pm

zelote wrote:I like this album, this was the last one with the classic lineup of Tourniquet, and if you look the credits you realize that Gary,Guy and even Victor has credits on the songs. 

I listen right now Stop the Bleeding and I was thinking about the Guy Falsseto, he never use this again, in any record. 

Anyway, this Pathogenic record is a masterpiece.

I read in an interview that they gave up the operatic vocals b/c of feedback from the fans. From what I remember Ted Kirkpatrick said it was the only negative reviews they got from STB.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

zelote likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:39 pm

When I listen to this side-by-side with new metal albums, I'm presently surprised with how well the production and loudness holds up. This album was ahead of it's time; it doesn't sound 30 years old!

I'm with Pethead; this is Tourniquet's best album and among my top favourites!
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:02 pm

Truly a Masterpiece that has stood the test of time. I do like Stop The Bleeding cause it was my introduction to Tourniquet and was a game changer for me personally.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:54 pm

Aged like fine wine.
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PlaceOfASkull Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:12 pm

I bought it at a pawn shop for $3-6 in the mid 90's.

PlaceOfASkull
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:31 pm

It's really good album!
30 Years Ago Today Tourniquet Released "Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance." Tqt10
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, scottmitchell74 and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Airola Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:02 pm

zelote wrote:I listen right now Stop the Bleeding and I was thinking about the Guy Falsseto, he never use this again, in any record.

Not quite true.

On Psycho Surgery he used falsetto in the end of Broken Chromosomes.

On Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance he used it in the second "The treasure you see, the treasure you know..." part. It's very faint in the background but it is there. Check out the part starting at 3:21 and listen very closely. At least one of the background vocal layers is Guy singing falsetto. And En Hakkore ends with a short falsetto. And Guy's part on The Skeezix Dilemma (starting at 4:27) has background falsetto vocals too.

They certainly toned it down almost to the point of not having it at all, but they still used it very sparingly.

Airola
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

zelote, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:09 pm

I like the falsetto singing, but only in small doses. It’s one of the reasons it’s hard for me to listen to King Diamond. Guy Ritter’s mid-range voice is quite good! I like the way he sounds on The Test for Leprosy, Spectrophobic Dementia (which also has true baritone) and Officium Defunctorum.

The Axl Rose style wailing at the end of Broken Chromosomes is awesome! That’s the falsetto that really stands out. If you use it sparingly like a well placed double bass part, it really shines!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by zelote Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:52 pm

I not know about that, thanks for the info Airola.

zelote
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigeon Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:05 pm

Thanks for reminding me how old I am. 30 Years Ago Today Tourniquet Released "Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance." 1f602 
But seriously, this was at the time, and perhaps still is, the most anticipated, most impactful, and most memorable albums of my life. I was a freshman in college and had pre-ordered the CD from the local Christian bookstore. I had worn out my STB and PS cassettes by this time, and had already established Tourniquet as my favorite band. I vividly remember getting the call from the bookstore owner ( on my dorm room landline) that my CD was in. I drove over there immediately, got the CD, and drove back to my dorm because I did not have a CD player in my truck. My roommate was gone for the night, so I was able to put my headphones on, open the cellophane wrapper, and pop the CD in my boom box. I just remember sitting there at my desk for the duration of the album (over an hour) in complete awe and listening to every song with my jaw dropped wide open. That experience has never been topped since then, although Microscopic came the closest to anticipation, listening enjoyment, return to form, and a similar experience of sitting at my desk at work listening all the way through while the CD was playing in my Dell desktop CD Rom player Smile
Wigeon
Wigeon
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

cailen, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down