The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30 Years ago today THWTD was released...

+4
Andreas89
strangerhoncho
Follower of Jesus
Soldier777
8 posters

Go down

30 Years ago today THWTD was released... Empty 30 Years ago today THWTD was released...

Post by Soldier777 Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:39 am

30 year ago today Stryper's To Hell With The devil was released on this date, October 24, 1986. According to both the Christian and mainstream press back then and even today this is the best selling and most influential Christian hard rock/metal album of all time. This is perhaps the best selling and most influential gospel album over all. According to a recent Michael Sweet interview, it has sold between 5 and 6 million copies.
The singles Calling on You, Free and Honestly were popular on MTV, Much Music and various radio stations. Honestly penetrated the top 40 charts and put Stryper over the top in album sales.
They originating from the LA Sunset Strip club scene in the early 80's at venues like the Whiskey A Go Go and the Rainbow Bar and Grill, similar to how their peers started like Motley Crue, Poison, Ratt, Cinderella and Bon Jovi. With a different message of Christ's love and salvation, the LA metal scene, the press such as Metal Edge Magazine, and both nonchristians and christians started to take notice with this release and the prior release, 1985's Soldiers Under Command.

I really think lives were affected and people were exposed to the gospel because of this album. The churched and the unchurched were all influenced. The heavy metal world/the LA glam metal scene was affected as well because of this album. These 3 groups of people started to take notice of Stryper if they didn't before.

I didn't get this on cassette until late November or early December of that year and my parents bought it for me. I had the generic black cover and I wore that thing out. I played it in my car and at home as loud as I could over and over again which likely caused my speakers in my car and my ghetto blaster to break. I would crank other albums often to.  A neighbor of mine had the angel cover cassette and I asked to buy it off of him or trade and he refused. I now have the Hollywood Records generic cover, the Japanese angel cover and the Michael Sweet Productions/Hollywood Records 2000 angel cover version. This is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Stryper continues to perform the 30th Anniversary of this tour. What memories do you have of this album?
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

30 Years ago today THWTD was released... Empty Re: 30 Years ago today THWTD was released...

Post by Follower of Jesus Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:43 am

I was turned on to these guys in late '87 and I loved this album. I wasn't allowed to have it (or any metal music) because my parents believed it was satanic. But a friend made me a copy of it, and I loved listening to it over and over. 

The title track remains one of my top 3 favorite Stryper songs ever.
Follower of Jesus
Follower of Jesus
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

30 Years ago today THWTD was released... Empty Re: 30 Years ago today THWTD was released...

Post by strangerhoncho Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Even though I was a Christian, I remember my buddy in 6th or 7th grade had this cassette.  I had already moved on from hard rock to Metallica so I wasn't really interested in hearing it, but I remember thinking "huh, there's Christian heavy metal?"  That was perhaps my first memory of such a thing existing, even if I didn't get into that scene until later when I heard Lightforce, Deliverance, etc.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:46 am

I heard it once on youtube. Since it's an essential for me considering my taste in music, I wanted to buy it on CD, but apparently that's too much to ask. This frustrates me, since I really don't like ordering albums on the internet, but want to be able to ask my local CD store to order it for me.

Here's to hoping for a reissue Smile
Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Back to top Go down

Post by Xid Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:47 pm

I remember getting this album and then seeing them for the tour.  They shot the video for "Free" at the show.
Xid
Xid
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.joshuascreed.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:38 pm

Bought this one on vinyl when it was first released. That cover art was perfect for vinyl. Shame they later had the cover changed.

Back to top Go down

Post by New Creation Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:24 am

The first time I heard the song THWTD I was at a church youth group rollerskating event.
New Creation
New Creation
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by pastorbrad Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:07 pm

JUST saw them-- Oct. 29thin Indy---- A -- M -- A -- Z -- I -- N -- G !!!!!!  Such a great band--in every way. Very Happy
pastorbrad
pastorbrad
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.guitarjams.net

Back to top Go down

Post by TMLMKE Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:08 pm

Seeing the 30th anniversary show tomorrow.  Still my favorite title for an album.
TMLMKE
TMLMKE
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down