The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non Existent vs Destruction comes

+7
Ammocas
Raegoul
TZ75
Sevenoneself
Pethead
Black Rider
Dustofyears
11 posters

Go down

Non Existent vs Destruction comes Empty Non Existent vs Destruction comes

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:53 pm

Both golden.

You're on an island all alone for eternity and you have a choice of listening to one of these albums until you drop dead- and yes, they play loud and clear from speakers somewhere up in the roiling black clouds until your appointed day of death!

Pick which one has the pleasure of driving you further into your insanity.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Non Existent vs Destruction comes Empty Re: Non Existent vs Destruction comes

Post by Black Rider Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:57 pm

Non Existent. Rodger's voice would have me holding my head under water.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:00 pm

Black Rider wrote:Non Existent. Rodger's voice would have me holding my head under water.
lol. NIce.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:00 pm

This is hard. I’ll go Destruction Comes because I prefer thrash over death metal overall and the NE vocals are mostly unintelligible.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:39 pm

Non-existent. To my ears DC is too monotonous. After a few months all the songs would just roll into 1 schmozz in my mind. Chris Hyde's drum intro to The Sword wouldn't even save the album for me.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

mothy and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:59 am

This is easy! 

I can’t stand the vocals on Nonexistent! I rate it as one of the all time worst! I like Roger’s style on Destruction Comes (rapid-fire shouting).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears, Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Raegoul Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:23 am

DC all day, no contest. But you would have guessed that from my nick name. 

Raegouuuuuuuuullllllllllllll *whisper*
Raegoul
Raegoul
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Temple of Blood, TZ75, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:51 pm

Destruction Comes … all day all night
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, TZ75, Dustofyears, Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by My Awesome Timothy Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:53 am

Nonexistent
My Awesome Timothy
My Awesome Timothy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:17 pm

Tough one, but I'd go with Non-Existent.   It's a choice of groaning while listening to D.J.'s mumbling VS. pulling my hair out listening to Roger shouting over monotonous riffs.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

mothy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:50 pm

I guess Destruction Comes. Before the Time was awesome, there are some other solid tracks. But suddenly I feel like I'm back in the car playing "would you rather" with my kid when he was 12.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:26 pm

I owned Nonexistent and have tried to go back to it many times over. Never owned Destruction Comes but have tried it out several times on YouTube. Neither one seemed worth purchasing.

Yesterday I listened through DC in it's entirety and didn't find it as samey as I was often told or even as it appeared to my ears in the past. There were some great tracks! Are the remasters they put out an improvement on the original sound? It made me wonder if I should reconsider in the future. Anybody?
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Pethead, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:56 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:I owned Nonexistent and have tried to go back to it many times over. Never owned Destruction Comes but have tried it out several times on YouTube. Neither one seemed worth purchasing.

Yesterday I listened through DC in it's entirety and didn't find it as samey as I was often told or even as it appeared to my ears in the past. There were some great tracks! Are the remasters they put out an improvement on the original sound? It made me wonder if I should reconsider in the future. Anybody?

As with most albums in metal, of coarse a few songs are similar. I think the first three songs sort of blast out of the gate the same way and that could give the “samey” impression… but if you follow Roger’s vocals, each song has a strong identity of its own. The riffs are a bit simplistic, but the energy made up for it. To me it sounds “fast and loose” like Motörhead mixed with Venom. The last track Raegoul is definitely a lot different than the other songs. It’s totally spacey with a stoner/doom metal feel. 

As far as the remaster… I think it definitely boosted the bass levels a lot. It’s fuller sounding. 

But when I got mine years ago, the first song starts on track two because of a manufacturing mistake with the music video included. It’s one of those “enhanced” CDs. Other than that… it’s great.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:15 pm

Frozen Fire wrote:I owned Nonexistent and have tried to go back to it many times over. Never owned Destruction Comes but have tried it out several times on YouTube. Neither one seemed worth purchasing.

Same as TZ75, with the track starting at 2. It really is a great album. But non existent and Destruction comes are two albums many struggle with and most of that is due to the vocal styles and or productions accumulated by the fact both albums were radical departures from their initial sound. To me they are great for those reasons and more. Both albums are my favorite from either band and Destruction comes is probably my favorite thrash album. Love that savage thrash vibe, like Sepultura arise album, dry bone and desert savage- none of that I'm trying to be an opera singer clean vocal style  #$@%! going on. Kneeways, grab Destruction comes, it'll grow on you I'm sure.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75, Raegoul and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:47 pm

Dustofyears wrote:

Same as TZ75, with the track starting at 2. It really is a great album. But non existent and Destruction comes are two albums many struggle with and most of that is due to the vocal styles and or productions accumulated by the fact both albums were radical departures from their initial sound. To me they are great for those reasons and more. Both albums are my favorite from either band and Destruction comes is probably my favorite thrash album. Love that savage thrash vibe, like Sepultura arise album, dry bone and desert savage- none of that I'm trying to be an opera singer clean vocal style  #$@%! going on. Kneeways, grab Destruction comes, it'll grow on you I'm sure.

Don’t get me wrong about Nonexistent. I don’t like the vocals at all…  but the music is very good.  

I agree with your assessment of DC!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:06 pm

Grindboy wrote:I guess Destruction Comes. Before the Time was awesome, there are some other solid tracks. But suddenly I feel like I'm back in the car playing "would you rather" with my kid when he was 12.
Being that your profile name is Grind "boy" I figured these threads would be right up your alley. I know you love it.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:14 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
Grindboy wrote:I guess Destruction Comes. Before the Time was awesome, there are some other solid tracks. But suddenly I feel like I'm back in the car playing "would you rather" with my kid when he was 12.
Being that your progile name is grind "boy" I figured this thread would be right up your alley Wink

Maybe he likes sandwiches. Or is that Grinders? Razz

But seriously, I don’t think Mort was considered “grind” until Scrolls.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:19 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
Being that your progile name is grind "boy" I figured this thread would be right up your alley Wink

God Rulz was the first inclination towards grind in the Mort catalogue but the album was nothing like Grind. I always considered Scrolls just a straight up death metal album but some namesake it deathgrind. Whatever it is, it's very, very good indeed!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:36 am

Dustofyears wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

God Rulz was the first inclination towards grind in the Mort catalogue but the album was nothing like Grind. I always considered Scrolls just a straight up death metal album but some namesake it deathgrind. Whatever it is, it's very, very good indeed!

Yes, God Rulz was the first taste of it. But the album as a whole was kinda thrashy.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:21 am

Dustofyears wrote:
Being that your profile name is Grind "boy" I figured these threads would be right up your alley. I know you love it.

All right. . . well to be honest, I've used/been tagged with the name for something like 25 years, really it's all incorrect/out of date. The "grind" came because of, really, Steve Rowe seeming (he probably wasn't, but I didn't understand) to use "death metal" and "grindcore" as synonyms and descriptors of the early Mort sound, which they were my favorite band for sure around Scrolls/PMA. I thought grindcore was a cooler sounding word, so I used it more than death metal. Someone called me "grindcore boy," when internet become commonplace I shortened it. Really I think some grind is ok but it's never been a favorite at all, so kind of an unfortunate turn there. Even "boy" -- I'm not transitioning or anything, but I'm mid-40's. So if you want, I'm "middle-aged balding guy who still likes death metal," but it's not quite as snappy. Not all that interesting, but that's the story.

And yes, TZ75, I'll enjoy your sandwich, whatever you call it!

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Frozen Fire, TZ75, Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down