The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Strength "The House, The Holy, The Third"

+5
Drawnsword
alldatndensum
mothy
Temple of Blood
Frozen Fire
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

True Strength "The House, The Holy, The Third" Empty True Strength "The House, The Holy, The Third"

Post by Frozen Fire Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:04 pm

This comes out Friday. My copy came today. I'm really looking forward to digging in since I haven't purchased anything from the band to this point. I felt obligated to pick it up since I'm currently finishing Ezekiel in my reading plan, it's one of my favorite books in the Scriptures and, as you may have guessed, that's what this whole album is based on. 

I heard the following song a week ago and it really hooked me. They definitely have an excellent classic 80's metal sound. For me it's like Steel Prophet and Warlord. It's lighter (not trying to impress with heaviness), has quality, clean, high vocals, nimble writing and an epic feel with guitar solos galore! 

Love to hear more opinions on the band and their material? Anyone with a rundown?

Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Temple of Blood, Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

True Strength "The House, The Holy, The Third" Empty Re: True Strength "The House, The Holy, The Third"

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:28 pm

I appreciate this band's professionalism and productivity.

I saw the singer's band Zandelle live many years ago.  Good show.

I wouldn't compare them to Steel Prophet, at least not the albums from them that I prefer (Into the Void and Dark Hallucinations).  I would probably compare them to Zandelle though, but that is a more obscure reference.

Are the drums on this new album from a drum machine?  They must be.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

True Strength "The House, The Holy, The Third" Empty Re: True Strength "The House, The Holy, The Third"

Post by mothy Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:57 pm

Ive had this since last friday via digital and love this record, and they get better and better each release. I would put them in the vain of Manilla Road meets Iron Maiden.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:58 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I wouldn't compare them to Steel Prophet, at least not the albums from them that I prefer (Into the Void and Dark Hallucinations).

Interesting, I was thinking Dark Hallucinations foremost (and Messiah) when I said that. I just always think of Steel Prophet having proggy tendencies within their arrangements, diverse writing across albums, super tight lead work and never impressing with heaviness but craft. The higher vocals and solos reminded me of them in general. All that said, this True Strength doesn't have the same speedy aggression. 

I'll say it's been ages since I listened to Steel Prophet (until going back today) but I really enjoyed those first 4 albums and to some degree the two that followed. I didn't like Beware and heard nothing after. 

Never heard Zandelle but used to see their stuff years back when I was picking up a lot of Limb Music releases.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:59 pm

I have only listened to this once, but I do agree that these guys get better with each release.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:01 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Are the drums on this new album from a drum machine?  They must be.

There is a drummer listed in the band. I actually think the drums sound really "live." I really like the drum sound and it's quite busy and varied. It'd be really interesting to have someone have to program drums this complex over a 60 minute album. Maybe it's easier to get something like this these days?

alldatndensum wrote:I have only listened to this once, but I do agree that these guys get better with each release.

This was my understanding from past years/posts. I may go slowly backwards an album at a time.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:40 pm

I've listened to a good chunk online and it's really awesome music and vocals.
The production seems a little thin, like it could be beefed up somewhat though. Still would like to get the CD for sure. Excellent album!
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

mothy and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:43 pm

Drawnsword wrote:I've listened to a good chunk online and it's really awesome music and vocals.
The production seems a little thin, like it could be beefed up somewhat though. Still would like to get the CD for sure. Excellent album!

While I agree about the production its always been that way so I think its the sound they go for.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:48 pm

mothy wrote:
Drawnsword wrote:I've listened to a good chunk online and it's really awesome music and vocals.

While I agree about the production its always been that way so I think its the sound they go for.
Really, like there going for a early 80's vintage heavy metal production?

I noticed some cymbols that sounded slightly like lazer effects.
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:00 pm

I listened to this whole album online but it didn't really grab me as much as the prior album.  
However the prior album was more repetitive and this new one flowed better.   
Guess I should check it out again when i have some time.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:03 pm

This is my AotY for right now. I expect Saint, Tourniquet, and (if they get one out) Theocracy to be tough competition, though.

Last edited by Pethead on Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

mothy, MagnusPrime and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:04 pm

I'd never heard of these guys before this album. I've listened to it a few times, but it was in the background while I was doing chores. I've checked them out on AngelicWarlord, but I'm going to have to give it a few more listens before I comment.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Fundy and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:26 pm

Whyyyyyy can't these bands have better production? I really like this musically but it needs beefing up.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:38 pm

Did I hear some Iron Maiden-esque somewhere in the middle of the album?
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:24 pm

Definitely some Maiden sounds in there. Not exactly the same but they fit with Thee Final Chapter and need to have production like them imo.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:02 pm

So I've finally listened to this enough to give it some thoughts. I feel bad b/c often we spend time talking about the critiques more than the good points. This is a great album: great songwriting, solos, singing, energy. I am continually amazed by all lyricists who study a specific subject and put together a whole album based on that; I have never been able pull that off.

I only have one critique, but unfortunately it plagues most of the album. The vocals and rhythm guitar are in unison for a very large chunk of the album, maybe 50-75% of the time? For a song or two I thought it was interesting, but for me it became very tiring and juvenile after awhile. In fact, Mourn Not The Delight Of Your Eyes stood out in such contrast from the rest of the songs that I found myself returning to it as one of the more enjoyable songs...simply because it escaped this rut.

It may be that this type of guitar/vocal unison playing is part of a particular style or genre. Then I would point my critique--or opinion that I do not like this--to the genre and not the band.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:08 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:So I've finally listened to this enough to give it some thoughts. I feel bad b/c often we spend time talking about the critiques more than the good points. This is a great album: great songwriting, solos, singing, energy. I am continually amazed by all lyricists who study a specific subject and put together a whole album based on that; I have never been able pull that off.

I only have one critique, but unfortunately it plagues most of the album. The vocals and rhythm guitar are in unison for a very large chunk of the album, maybe 50-75% of the time? For a song or two I thought it was interesting, but for me it became very tiring and juvenile after awhile. In fact, Mourn Not The Delight Of Your Eyes stood out in such contrast from the rest of the songs that I found myself returning to it as one of the more enjoyable songs...simply because it escaped this rut.

It may be that this type of guitar/vocal unison playing is part of a particular style or genre. Then I would point my critique--or opinion that I do not like this--to the genre and not the band.
It’s better than AtWB.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:12 pm

Pethead wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:So I've finally listened to this enough to give it some thoughts. I feel bad b/c often we spend time talking about the critiques more than the good points. This is a great album: great songwriting, solos, singing, energy. I am continually amazed by all lyricists who study a specific subject and put together a whole album based on that; I have never been able pull that off.

It’s better than AtWB.
You're starting to sound like calvinists whenever they're proven wrong: at least it's not open theism.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:15 pm

^^ I was maybe trying too hard for a joke. They're more like, "But Leighton Flowers is still a pelagian!"
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:18 pm

I find the vocal/guitar unison doesn’t bother me, mainly because I find obvious hooks better than no hooks.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:23 pm

My complaint ends up coming down to the arrangement of the song. I thought the songs themselves were good/great/fantastic, but it seemed like lazy arranging; this is what my son did in grade 5-6 when he was arranging songs; by the time he was in high school he was adding harmonies and chord substitutions, etc. 

Because there are lots of harmonies in vocals and solos and chording throughout the album, I know it's not because they're unable or lazy, which makes me think they probably did it on purpose. In which case I'd have to say I did not enjoy the album as much b/c, in my opinion, they over-used that particular style of arranging.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:25 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:My complaint ends up coming down to the arrangement of the song. I thought the songs themselves were good/great/fantastic, but it seemed like lazy arranging; this is what my son did in grade 5-6 when he was arranging songs; by the time he was in high school he was adding harmonies and chord substitutions, etc. 

Because there are lots of harmonies in vocals and solos and chording throughout the album, I know it's not because they're unable or lazy, which makes me think they probably did it on purpose. In which case I'd have to say I did not enjoy the album as much b/c, in my opinion, they over-used that particular style of arranging.
I see what you’re saying. But it doesn’t bother me.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:35 pm

I think it is a solid release, but I prefer the album before it.  I get a little lost in concept albums and prefer individual songs with different meanings that are separate thoughts.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:11 pm

New Single just released from True Strength:

Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Black Rider and mothy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:07 pm

I like it.

Last edited by Black Rider on Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next