The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Death List (Severed album)

4 posters

Go down

Death List (Severed album) Empty Death List (Severed album)

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:29 am

I remember owning a copy of this album years ago. Definitely one of the best Christian death metal albums I’ve ever heard. Brutal and tight musicianship that rivals anything secular. I like the effortless guttural vocals like Max Cavalera or Steve Rowe when he was in his prime. Unfortunately, a lot of bands like Living Sacrifice sound like they struggle with it. 

Has there ever been a reissue of this album? If not, I’m surprised!

A nice deluxe reissue with a few bonus tracks would be excellent! Retroactive or Bombworks should get it back out there! 

TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Death List (Severed album) Empty Re: Death List (Severed album)

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:52 am

I’m also aware that the guitarist is now in the band Broken Flesh. They are even more extreme than this band was (but I gotta draw the line at some point). I like to at least somewhat understand the vocals. 😄
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

My Awesome Timothy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:57 am

That actually sounds like Living Sacrifice vocally on their straight death albums. I'd like to get my hands on this.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grindboy Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:35 am

I always thought the vocals were kind of the weak point and like the full-on gutteral death metal style. At least at the time, it was disappointing when a band played "mostly" death metal b/c there were so few bands that were really full-on, or at least full-on and really good, so albums like this kind of seemed like a missed opportunity to have another good dm band, especially with ex-members of Obliteration (do I have this right?), who were awesome. At this point of course there have been a couple hundred more bands so it's easier to appreciate it for what it is rather than what I wished it had been, and it was always a solid album for what it was.

Grindboy
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:53 am

I need to listen to this band more often.  I really like this style.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:57 am

Black Rider wrote:That actually sounds like Living Sacrifice vocally on their straight death albums. I'd like to get my hands on this.

I disagree (about the vocals), but I’m glad you like it!

Last edited by TZ75 on Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:04 pm

Grindboy wrote:I always thought the vocals were kind of the weak point and like the full-on gutteral death metal style. At least at the time, it was disappointing when a band played "mostly" death metal b/c there were so few bands that were really full-on, or at least full-on and really good, so albums like this kind of seemed like a missed opportunity to have another good dm band, especially with ex-members of Obliteration (do I have this right?), who were awesome. At this point of course there have been a couple hundred more bands so it's easier to appreciate it for what it is rather than what I wished it had been, and it was always a solid album for what it was.

I disagree. I like the guttural vocals that are more in the natural range rather than King Kong having a bowel movement. I assume you like the Suffocation style grunts. Nothing wrong with that… but I’ll stick with the Sepultura “death/thrash” approach. I also like Bret Hoffmann’s unique voice with Malevolent Creation. Heavy, but not insanely low. 

The deepest guttural I like is Steve Rowe on Scrolls.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:20 pm

My favorite grunted/guttural style vocals:

Steve Rowe
Max Cavalera
Chuck Billy
Bret Hoffmann
Chuck Schuldiner
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down