The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bands you dig and now you Don't

+19
seth
StevenCressler
Nachtwald
Bahana
Dr3ams
Drawnsword
alldatndensum
Grindboy
PlaceOfASkull
bodachi
Follower of Jesus
Sevenoneself
TZ75
Raegoul
Pethead
Constantine
Black Rider
BaleMaster
Dustofyears
23 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Bands you dig and now you Don't - Page 3 Empty Re: Bands you dig and now you Don't

Post by TZ75 Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:38 pm

The Crucified were my all time favorite Christian band in high school, and for several years after!
I do still like them, but not as much as I used to. I think I may have just burned myself out on them. And because they only made those two albums… I wanted more.

I still think they were just as good as any secular crossover band (if not better!)

They had that same charisma as Pantera, imo.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears, Sevenoneself and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Bands you dig and now you Don't - Page 3 Empty Re: Bands you dig and now you Don't

Post by alldatndensum Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:54 pm

I liked some of the hardcore bands like Focused and Six Feet Deep when they came out.  I can't stand that kind of stuff now.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Dustofyears and Sevenoneself like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:15 pm

Also, I liked Red's first couple of albums.  Then they all started sounding the same and became a snooze fest to me.

The old bands like White cross, Petra, and others that were mentioned I still love.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:29 pm

alldatndensum wrote:Also, I liked Red's first couple of albums.  Then they all started sounding the same and became a snooze fest to me.

Diddo that remark about Red. I'd say the same about Blindside. The first Demo-turned-into-album was fresh and unique, but it seemed afterwards it became the same snooze monster that happened to Red.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:48 am

Black Rider wrote:Dust, is it Focal point? Best hc bands in the day were Six Feet Deep and No Innocent Victim.
Thanks man. That's the one.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:22 am

Dustofyears wrote:
Black Rider wrote:Dust, is it Focal point? Best hc bands in the day were Six Feet Deep and No Innocent Victim.
i remember you Dust telling me in 97 or 98 that Focal Point had the best vocals that actually sounded genuinely angry. So many hardcore bands have this half pie constipated vocal style instead of a really mighty ticked off aggression that makes your hair stand on end!
Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Drawnsword Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:41 am

Agathothodion , at first the vocals were making me laugh but then i felt the awesome power of them like a man crying out from a dungeon in desperation for God to deliver them.

Drawnsword
Drawnsword
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://drawnswordgraphix.blogspot.co.nz/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr3ams Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:36 am

Back in the 80s I bought a lot of "Christian" Metal and Rock cassettes. When I upgraded to CDs, I kicked a lot of bands to the curb and wondered why I even bought them in the first place.

Here's a few bands that I use to listen to but now consider them to be cheezy or just not into them any more:

- Angelica (didn't age well)
- Barren Cross (a lot of potential but for me didn't age well)
- Bloodgood (not into the lead singer's voice and their style of metal anymore)
- Bride (Dale Thompson's voice just rubs me the wrong way)
- Whitecross (I can't stand the drumming in Whitecross. I think if they had chosen a better drummer or drummers with more talent, I might still be listening to them today.)

There is much, much more I could put into that list. Most of the bands on my list are from the 80s and early 90s. I think many Christian rock and metal bands in the 80s were trying too hard to copy their secular counterparts instead of developing their own style. It seems a lot of them just wanted to catch the wave or didn't have the money for a decent producer and studio and rushed their music to the public. It definitely showed. Over time some got better musically, but unfortunately they stuck with singers that couldn't sing.

Anyway, that's my take.
Dr3ams
Dr3ams
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:12 pm

Dustofyears wrote:

I was also a big No Innocent Victim fan! I’ve seen a few of their concerts. Focal point was cool too. If I remember correctly, Focal Point used some uncommon elements like acoustic and clean guitar intros and atmospheric keyboard. I like the moody feeling.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:29 pm

Drawnsword wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
i remember you Dust telling me in 97 or 98 that Focal Point had the best vocals that actually sounded genuinely angry. So many hardcore bands have this half pie constipated vocal style instead of a really mighty ticked off aggression that makes your hair stand on end!
I can't remember that but I believe it. That was the only band I really liked from the bunch of hardcore bands that came out back then. Six feet Deep were too meta, too aware of themselves and what they were doing. The vocals and grooves were like a weak Pantera to my ears (ducks for cover). I'd rather listen to Pantera, man those guys had groove and Phil's vokills are iconic. Focal Point had some different things happening too. Raw emotion. The drums could have been produced better but they were legit in my books and It was peachy.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:31 pm

Drawnsword wrote:

Agathothodion , at first the vocals were making me laugh but then i felt the awesome power of them like a man crying out from a dungeon in desperation for God to deliver them.

Burzum vibes. Always reminds me of Gollem in a cave crying out for his precious- Lament of the orc.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

StevenCressler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:34 pm

Dr3ams wrote:Back in the 80s I bought a lot of "Christian" Metal and Rock cassettes. When I upgraded to CDs, I kicked a lot of bands to the curb and wondered why I even bought them in the first place.

Here's a few bands that I use to listen to but now consider them to be cheezy or just not into them any more:

- Angelica (didn't age well)
- Barren Cross (a lot of potential but for me didn't age well)
- Bloodgood (not into the lead singer's voice and their style of metal anymore)
- Bride (Dale Thompson's voice just rubs me the wrong way)
- Whitecross (I can't stand the drumming in Whitecross. I think if they had chosen a better drummer or drummers with more talent, I might still be listening to them today.)

There is much, much more I could put into that list. Most of the bands on my list are from the 80s and early 90s. I think many Christian rock and metal bands in the 80s were trying too hard to copy their secular counterparts instead of developing their own style. It seems a lot of them just wanted to catch the wave or didn't have the money for a decent producer and studio and rushed their music to the public. It definitely showed. Over time some got better musically, but unfortunately they stuck with singers that couldn't sing.

Anyway, that's my take.
Every band on that list is me too. Except Bloodgood. Thought I would listen to them and be like Nah, but found I still enjoyed their music. Interesting about Whitecross' drum sound, never thought about that. Also the budget thing and not having enough money for big production and pumping out albums sounds about right about many of those bands. Catch the train as they say. And by the way, welcome.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dr3ams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:43 pm

^I love all the bands on that list.

The drums on Whitecross’s Triumphant Return were an improvement from the first two.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Dustofyears, Dr3ams and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:54 pm

Pethead wrote:^I love all the bands on that list.

The drums on Whitecross’s Triumphant Return were an improvement from the first two.
WhiteCross are a great band no doubt and with some great songs. I just don't listen to them anymore. My fav songs are down and Heaven's calling tonight. Flash point is cool too- Good ol' Rex.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead, Dr3ams and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:31 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:A bunch of hardcore-ish bands from Tooth and Nail: Strongarm, Focused, Unashamed, Training for Utopia, Blindside, Embodyment. I had all these bands on repeat for all of high school and Bible school. And now I never touch them at all.

I listened to Focused-Bow this morning, probably the first time in 15 or so years. I was impressed with the riffs, lyrics, song arrangements. Maybe I just listened to these CD's so many times when I was younger I just got tired of them even though it was great music!

I was watching a Paul Baloche worship-teaching video years ago and he suggested that if your church really likes a specific praise song but it's getting old, you could play it in a different genre to breathe new life into it. Perhaps some of these albums could be re-recorded as reggae or symphonic metal or folk...
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:07 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:A bunch of hardcore-ish bands from Tooth and Nail: Strongarm, Focused, Unashamed, Training for Utopia, Blindside, Embodyment. I had all these bands on repeat for all of high school and Bible school. And now I never touch them at all.

I listened to Focused-Bow this morning, probably the first time in 15 or so years. I was impressed with the riffs, lyrics, song arrangements. Maybe I just listened to these CD's so many times when I was younger I just got tired of them even though it was great music!

I was watching a Paul Baloche worship-teaching video years ago and he suggested that if your church really likes a specific praise song but it's getting old, you could play it in a different genre to breathe new life into it. Perhaps some of these albums could be re-recorded as reggae or symphonic metal or folk...
Had Bow too when I was younger. checked it out again as well and it's still pretty good as far as hardcore goes (not my fav style that is to say).
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Sevenoneself likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bahana Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:06 pm

I was a big fan of Precious Death as a teenager in the 90s. Now, the vocal style is difficult to listen to. Just seems too over the top. I still respect the musicianship though.
Bahana
Bahana
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:40 pm

Training for Utopia. I only had Plastic Soul Impalement. When I was in high school I loved it; just never reach for it anymore.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:35 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:Training for Utopia. I only had Plastic Soul Impalement. When I was in high school I loved it; just never reach for it anymore.
Heard of them. Will have to give it a listen now me finks.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:40 pm

Thought of a couple more:

Norma Jean and Underoath.

I went through a spell in college where I dug both bands. Never spin them now and don’t care to.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:50 pm

Pethead wrote:Thought of a couple more:

I went through a spell in college where I dug both bands. Never spin them now and don’t care to.
Those are hardcore bands if I remember correctly. there were quite a few of those around about 97 or so, more than I realized. Funny how some bands just don't carry the weight they used to and others still do.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:00 pm

Dustofyears wrote:

Those are hardcore bands if I remember correctly. there were quite a few of those around about 97 or so, more than I realized. Funny how some bands just don't carry the weight they used to and others still do.

Yeah, I was in high school 97-99, and I tried to purchase every Solid State album that came out, and all the "heavy" T&N's (pre-Solid State)! Other than the ones I've already listed above, I'd include 

Living Sacrifice Reborn (this is more of a stylistic choice, though)
Sometime Sunday Stone
MxPx Pokinatcha
Blindside - first 2 albums
Project 86 - first 3 albums
Embodyment - Embrace the Eternal
Extol - Synergy

I enjoyed them immensely at the time, and they are great songs, I just don't find I listen to them anymore.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:14 pm

Sevenoneself wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

Yeah, I was in high school 97-99, and I tried to purchase every Solid State album that came out, and all the "heavy" T&N's (pre-Solid State)! Other than the ones I've already listed above, I'd include 

Sometime Sunday Stone
MxPx Pokinatcha
Extol - Synergy

I enjoyed them immensely at the time, and they are great songs, I just don't find I listen to them anymore.
Funny you should mention LS Reborn. When that album came out it blew me away. Now, can't listen to it. Just sounds generic now just like the other albums that followed it. That sound is so bland to my ears now and those vocals a dime a dozen. Though at the time it was pretty fresh.  Non Existent and inhabit- still love those albums and always will. Two of the best in Death metal.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sevenoneself Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:10 pm

Dustofyears wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

Sometime Sunday Stone
MxPx Pokinatcha
Extol - Synergy

Funny you should mention LS Reborn. When that album came out it blew me away. Now, can't listen to it. Just sounds generic now just like the other albums that followed it. That sound is so bland to my ears now and those vocals a dime a dozen. Though at the time it was pretty fresh.  Non Existent and inhabit- still love those albums and always will. Two of the best in Death metal.

I see so many people who love Living Sacrifice post-Inhabit. I'm not quite sure what you call the newer genres of what death & thrash morphed into, but I just can't get into most of the metalcore; grindcore, etc. Like you, all Living Sacrifice after Inhabit sounds bland and boring and all the same. But I do understand that it is an opinion that many others don't share.
Sevenoneself
Sevenoneself
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:16 am

Sevenoneself wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:
Sevenoneself wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

Sometime Sunday Stone
MxPx Pokinatcha
Extol - Synergy

I see so many people who love Living Sacrifice post-Inhabit. I'm not quite sure what you call the newer genres of what death & thrash morphed into, but I just can't get into most of the metalcore; grindcore, etc. Like you, all Living Sacrifice after Inhabit sounds bland and boring and all the same. But I do understand that it is an opinion that many others don't share.
Won an MxPx Cd at a Christian concert. The band playing challenged the crowd to a contest of who could do the best death metal vox. Ha! I hated the cover but gave the disc a spin. Then I gave it another spin- a Frisbee styles spin.  And don't worry, I'm sure God still loves Post inhabit Living Sacrifice fans despite their bad taste.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next