The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sacrament albums reissued again

+7
average joe
New Creation
TZ75
Pethead
Temple of Blood
Frozen Fire
mothy
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sacrament albums reissued again - Page 2 Empty Re: Sacrament albums reissued again

Post by TZ75 Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:27 am

crucifyd wrote:
TZ75 wrote:On their bandcamp site it says they are normal CDs. Are they not required to say if they are CD-r? I wouldn’t knowingly pay $12 for a burned CD…

I guess I’ll soon find out.

My experience, anywhere, including bandcamp, is that they
don't necessarily differentiate...I have asked many a time to find
that, even though descriptions say "CD", they reply that it
is in fact a CDr...

I was disappointed to find that the Wisdom & Wages disc is
a CDr. Had no idea until I opened it... It was $12 which is
steep for CDr, especially when you don't know that's what it is.
Though I suppose the limited edition of 100 could account for
the price...

The recent Presumed Dead demo reissue is a real CD. If anything, I would’ve expected something like that on a CD-r…
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Sacrament albums reissued again - Page 2 Empty Re: Sacrament albums reissued again

Post by crucifyd Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:25 am

OK, good to know, glad to be wrong on that...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.crucifyd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:33 pm

TZ75 wrote:
crucifyd wrote:
TZ75 wrote:On their bandcamp site it says they are normal CDs. Are they not required to say if they are CD-r? I wouldn’t knowingly pay $12 for a burned CD…

is in fact a CDr...

the price...

The recent Presumed Dead demo reissue is a real CD. If anything, I would’ve expected something like that on a CD-r…

I don't have mine with me but I was almost certain it's a CD-R. It was printed by Kunaki which is service for self-publishers that in my experience only does CD-Rs. It's the business that Annhilated Pentagram Productions uses for their releases (of which I have a few - all CD-R). It's the equivalent of using CreateSpace publishing to self-publish a book and sell it on Amazon.

EDIT: Kunaki also only seems to allow those 1 piece (2-sided) inserts like the one they tried to cram all the demo lyrics on. If that's what was used for the two albums then don't expect a booklet.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:41 pm

Good interview explaining the behind the scenes details of the reunion.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

TZ75 and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:21 pm

Son of Nun wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
crucifyd wrote:

is in fact a CDr...

the price...

I don't have mine with me but I was almost certain it's a CD-R. It was printed by Kunaki which is service for self-publishers that in my experience only does CD-Rs. It's the business that Annhilated Pentagram Productions uses for their releases (of which I have a few - all CD-R). It's the equivalent of using CreateSpace publishing to self-publish a book and sell it on Amazon.

EDIT: Kunaki also only seems to allow those 1 piece (2-sided) inserts like the one they tried to cram all the demo lyrics on. If that's what was used for the two albums then don't expect a booklet.

I’ll give it another look… I’m not a expert on cheap inserts being an indicator of a CD-R. But I’ll take your word on it. 

If that is the case for the demo, I don’t mind as much (because it was only $5). But I won’t be pleased if the full length albums are CD-R. I don’t think I would have bought them for more than $8. I think I paid $10… but now they are going for $12! 

I just hope that whatever money they get from these CD-R’s goes into more recordings. That being said… I wish bands or online sellers would be honest about the exact format of the product. CD-R’s tend to not last as long as normal CD’s.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:26 pm

although most often CDr have a greenish hue, the only sure-fire way I've found to determine which you have is to run it through some software, such as Nero Discspeed or the like, which will tell you what it is...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:42 pm

If its that hard to tell maybe it doesnt matter
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Pethead and Ammocas like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:01 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:If its that hard to tell maybe it doesnt matter
LOL

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by crucifyd Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:11 pm

the main reason I'm particular is that I rip all my CDs.
CDr tend not to rip accurately. That is probably just my OCD
because the rips still play fine...

they also purportedly don't last as long as silver CD...
crucifyd
crucifyd
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:32 am

crucifyd wrote:

the main reason I'm particular is that I rip all my CDs.
CDr tend not to rip accurately. That is probably just my OCD
because the rips still play fine...

they also purportedly don't last as long as silver CD...

I agree. I think they don’t last as long as the silver CDs.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:32 am

I stand corrected!

I contacted the owner of the label putting out the reissues. Turns out they are CD-R discs. But he assured me they should play fine in most cases (except some older car CD players may have a problem reading them). 

Hopefully there won’t be any problems and I can just enjoy the remastered sound.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster and Son of Nun like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:37 pm

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Frozen Fire, mothy, Ammocas and TZ75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:01 pm

The new band authorized cover art is cool but whenever I hear “Haunts” I think of that red cover. Not a big deal, just gotta get used to it. I ordered both cds to support the band. The downloads that came with the purchase sound better than the older cd versions.
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:39 pm

I finally received both remastered albums. I’m glad that the money goes to the band and I’m happy to support them… but I’ve come to the conclusion that no remaster is going to help the Haunts album. It needs a remix. I can’t tell a noticeable improvement over the retroactive/legacy one that came out before. I just think it wasn’t the best of recordings in the first place (aside from the nice crunchy guitar tone). 

That said… I think the Testimony of Apocalypse remaster does sound great! But that one has a more traditional sounding thrash production.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:53 pm

Jeremy did a very interesting review of the new reissue/remasters.

Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:14 pm

TZ75 wrote:I finally received both remastered albums. I’m glad that the money goes to the band and I’m happy to support them… but I’ve come to the conclusion that no remaster is going to help the Haunts album. It needs a remix. I can’t tell a noticeable improvement over the retroactive/legacy one that came out before. I just think it wasn’t the best of recordings in the first place (aside from the nice crunchy guitar tone). 

That said… I think the Testimony of Apocalypse remaster does sound great! But that one has a more traditional sounding thrash production.
I agree with you on Haunts, but it’s still one of my favorites and I prefer it over Testimony (which is also good!)
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:19 pm

average joe wrote:Good interview explaining the behind the scenes details of the reunion.
Interesting interview, I'm listening to it now (it's long).   
It was helpful to find out why they changed the name and went in a different direction.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:39 pm

Does anyone know if the ToA available on iTunes is the newly remastered version that would give money to the band?
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:51 pm

I don't think so just the band camp ones from what I understand.
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:04 pm

Drat.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:53 pm

Could someone tell me which guy is Robert Wolfe from the band photo on the back of the Charon Collective release of Haunts of Violence?

The original REX version never identified who’s who.

I’m assuming it’s the dark haired guy standing to the left of Erik Ney (or above the Charon Collective skull logo).
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:07 am

TZ75 wrote:I finally received both remastered albums. I’m glad that the money goes to the band and I’m happy to support them… but I’ve come to the conclusion that no remaster is going to help the Haunts album. It needs a remix. I can’t tell a noticeable improvement over the retroactive/legacy one that came out before. I just think it wasn’t the best of recordings in the first place (aside from the nice crunchy guitar tone). 

Haunts sounds different when you play the new remaster side-by-side with the original on Apple Music. TOA definitely sounds better than the version on Apple Music. I never thought the retroactive version of TOA sounded much better.

Last edited by average joe on Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:14 am

average joe wrote:

Haunts definitely sounds different when you play the new remaster side-by-side with the original on Apple Music.

It has more bass, but so does the Legacy edition from Retroactive records. I just think the overall production is too dry and compressed.

It’s not terrible… Rob Wolfe’s vocals are great and so is the guitar sound. If you put the guitar from Haunts on Testimony, it would be amazing!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2