The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would you pay for a new album from a band you like?

+8
TZ75
Fundy
eatbugs
Opeth3232
mothy
Pethead
alldatndensum
Temple of Blood
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What would you pay for a new album from a band you like? Empty What would you pay for a new album from a band you like?

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:48 pm

CD : ?
digital download : ?
Vinyl: ?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

What would you pay for a new album from a band you like? Empty Re: What would you pay for a new album from a band you like?

Post by alldatndensum Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:31 pm

$15-18 for CD, and $9.99-11.99 for the download.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

What would you pay for a new album from a band you like? Empty Re: What would you pay for a new album from a band you like?

Post by Pethead Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:35 pm

CD: if it’s only available on CD and it’s a band I adore, I could do $20–$30 in an extreme case.

Download: probably $10–$18

Vinyl: not really into vinyl. I don’t even listen to the records I have.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Fundy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:02 pm

If the new ToB does in fact have yodeling on it, i might be willing to pay more.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Temple of Blood, mothy and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:26 pm

I'm a digital only guy and I look at length or number of songs but from 8 to 13 for downloads
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:39 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:CD : ?
digital download : ?
Vinyl: ?
Cd 10 to 15 depending on band, like 10 for Stryper 15 for Sacred Warrior as long as the original singer is on it however I have paid up to 25 if the music hits my interest real good
Digital the same 
Vinyl depending on the band I've paid up to 60.

Last edited by Opeth3232 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:42 pm

I'm CD only.

Max is maybe $20-25 depending on if I really, REALLY like the band (and how many songs are on it).  My own personal max for a single disc is $50, tax and shipping included.  This is for a collectible from a favorite band.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and Opeth3232 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:49 pm

eatbugs wrote:I'm CD only.

Max is maybe $20-25 depending on if I really, REALLY like the band (and how many songs are on it).  My own personal max for a single disc is $50, tax and shipping included.  This is for a collectible from a favorite band.
Collectibles are the best especially if autographed
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Fundy Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:09 am

I'm CD only, and if the shipping isn't expensive (to the UK) I would go to $20 (not inc. shipping).

If there is absolutely no way of getting a physical CD, and I absolutely love the music, then I would consider a download.  But I'd have to make my own CD and make a cover!  These things have to be done.
Fundy
Fundy
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:32 am

For underground bands on a small label…
CD: $15 is fair ($20 max) $30 if it’s ultra rare. 

Mass produced “big name” bands should be about $10

I don’t have vinyl, and I’m not a download person.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:04 am

I once paid over $30 for a signed CD from Martyrs Shrine. The band that featured two ex-Mortification members. It was the original pressing (black cover).

Last edited by TZ75 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 am

Pethead wrote:If the new ToB does in fact have yodeling on it, i might be willing to pay more.

The yodeling is only on the expanded Gold disc edition.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Staybrite, Pethead and mothy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:03 am

I like these answers. You guys are willing to pay more than me! I guess I'm just a cheapskate.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:11 am

Temple of Blood wrote:I like these answers.  You guys are willing to pay more than me!  I guess I'm just a cheapskate.

My answer was generalized. I still need to like or care about the band. I save a lot by not liking most bands! LOL
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:04 pm

If I like the band (Bloodgood, for example, when they did one) I will go as high as $100 depending on the perks. Without any perks, probably $25-$30

Back to top Go down

Post by ChosenNightwolf Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:01 pm

I've paid upwards of $60 to add new music by Saviour Machine to my collection, considering that they've been my all-time favorite band since 1993 (Christian or secular). Eric is also a close friend of mine, so I don't mind supporting what he does as an artist.
ChosenNightwolf
ChosenNightwolf
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

http://www.aflameinthedark.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:03 pm

My record is $60 for a super rare, OOP CD by one of my very favorite bands.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:53 pm

In my lifetime (thus far) I’ve spent thousands on music collectively. As a music fan, there’s no way around it when you buy the physical product. Smile   
Plus I believe an artist should be paid for their time and effort.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:40 pm

I think several people here are confusing what one would pay for a rare or out of print album with the question of this thread which is how much would one pay for a NEW album.

CD prices are much higher than they used to be (and I think we often get charged quite a bit more than they actually cost to produce). I don't like the fact that a lot of new Christian Metal releases are being sold for $16.99 or even $19.99 or more (don't care if it's a gold disc - that's high). In the early 2000s I bought tons of new Metal for $8-12 dollars a CD and I don't remember anything being higher than that unless it was some kind of A5 digipak or box or something. I still pay the $15-$20 that is being charged by many labels today because I'm a collector and I enjoy supporting a band by purchasing a physical format, but we're being gouged. Thankful some labels still try to keep prices low (especially Vision of God).

I don't do downloads and won't pay for that.

Vinyl is a premium format and I don't mind paying more but new vinyl should be $20-$30 max and we're also being gouged on vinyl by many labels who start their vinyl at $40-$50 and then raise the price when they get to low inventory. I love color vinyl but it's also nonsense that we get charged $5-$10 more for it.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pethead Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:56 pm

Son of Nun wrote:I think several people here are confusing what one would pay for a rare or out of print album with the question of this thread which is how much would one pay for a NEW album.

CD prices are much higher than they used to be (and I think we often get charged quite a bit more than they actually cost to produce). I don't like the fact that a lot of new Christian Metal releases are being sold for $16.99 or even $19.99 or more (don't care if it's a gold disc - that's high). In the early 2000s I bought tons of new Metal for $8-12 dollars a CD and I don't remember anything being higher than that unless it was some kind of A5 digipak or box or something. I still pay the $15-$20 that is being charged by many labels today because I'm a collector and I enjoy supporting a band by purchasing a physical format, but we're being gouged. Thankful some labels still try to keep prices low (especially Vision of God).

I don't do downloads and won't pay for that.

Vinyl is a premium format and I don't mind paying more but new vinyl should be $20-$30 max and we're also being gouged on vinyl by many labels who start their vinyl at $40-$50 and then raise the price when they get to low inventory. I love color vinyl but it's also nonsense that we get charged $5-$10 more for it.
Oh, I got that. I was just making a statement about the most I’ve paid. My answer to the question of the thread was answered above.

Yeah, vinyl is insane now.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:39 pm

One thing that hasn't come up yet is packaging.  If it's a CD in a cardboard sleeve just to give us a physical product, I'd still buy it, but I'd pay more for a jewel case with an insert with lyrics, liner notes, etc.  I don't want ultra-expensive collectible packaging though.

While I was the one to derail the thread into the collectable realm, what I said also applies to new CDs.  I did pay through the nose for a physical copy of Eric Clayton - A Thousand Scars.

I'm NOT interested in perks and extras unless it's a deluxe edition CD with several bonus tracks.  If a new CD sells for $15 but I can get an autographed copy for $20, I'll just take the $15 version.  If a standard issue CD is $15 but a deluxe edition is $20 with several extra songs, I'll take the $20 version.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:26 am

It would be nice to only pay about $8 for a new CD, but independent bands need to cover their costs of production, physical album packaging and use of a recording engineer. I think $10 or 15 might be fair (unless it’s an EP). I don’t like when a band charges an arm and a leg for a measly 5 or 6 songs.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:23 am

TZ75 wrote:It would be nice to only pay about $8 for a new CD, but independent bands need to cover their costs of production, physical album packaging and use of a recording engineer. I think $10 or 15 might be fair (unless it’s an EP). I don’t like when a band charges an arm and a leg for a measly 5 or 6 songs.

Agreed with all that. Indie bands can't press as many copies, which makes their costs much higher.

I would've bought the Once Dead EP if it had been like 5-6 bucks but I won't pay full album price for just a few tracks.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:54 am

Bands need to also do a better job of promoting through inexpensive means like video snippets of the recording process, behind the scenes interviews regarding the writing process, etc., to build interest/hype for their product. For all the disadvantageous of the modern scene, social media is a huge and inexpensive marketing advantage that bands didn’t have back in the day. So much easier to create grass roots hype if creating good material. Repeatedly see bands fall short of their full potential musically and promotionally in this area, relying on small labels/distribution to get the job done. With the right material and promotion a few more bucks could likely be squeaked out. All starts with quality music first. I think people are willing to pay a bit of a premium for quality material.

Last edited by average joe on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:07 am

average joe wrote:Bands need to also do a better job of promoting through inexpensive means like video snippets of the recording process, behind the scenes interviews regarding the writing process, etc., to build interest/hype for theIr product. For all the disadvantageous of the modern scene, social media is a huge and inexpensive marketing advantage that bands didn’t have back in the day. So much easier to create grass roots hype if creating a good material. Repeatedly see bands fall short of their full potential musically and promotionally in this area, relying on small labels/distribution to get the job done. With the right material and promotion a few more bucks could likely be squeaked out. All starts with quality music first. I think people are willing to pay a bit of a premium for quality material.

I see what you're saying and you may be right but I see a lot of those types of videos with almost no views.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next