The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which releases from Scott Albert were Christian?

+4
ThomasEversole
eatbugs
FivePointPunk
Temple of Blood
8 posters

Go down

Which releases from Scott Albert were Christian? Empty Which releases from Scott Albert were Christian?

Post by Temple of Blood Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:06 pm

AFAIK no lyrics in Argyle Park are Christian at all.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Back to top Go down

Which releases from Scott Albert were Christian? Empty Re: Which releases from Scott Albert were Christian?

Post by FivePointPunk Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:50 pm

The 1992 version of the Circle of Dust self-titled probably had the most outspoken Christian lyrics.  The 1995 rerecorded version left off the one song that had the strongest lyrics.  There were still Christian lyrics throughout though.  And the 95 version is far superior musically and sonically. 

Both Brainchild albums (the original band Brainchild and the Circle of Dust version) were pretty much identical lyrically from what I remember.  I think three of the songs were rerecorded on the COD version, but I'm pretty sure the lyrics weren't changed.

Disengage was definitely a step moving away from the more blatant Christian aspect in the lyrics.  There might be some hints here and there, but I honestly don't remember for sure off the top of my head.  It was a good record for sure, but it was moving away from a lot of the heaviness of the first two records.  You can hear the beginnings of Celldweller in it.

FivePointPunk
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

Back to top Go down

Which releases from Scott Albert were Christian? Empty Re: Which releases from Scott Albert were Christian?

Post by eatbugs Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:41 pm

I agree with everything FivePointPunk said.

Brainchild - Mindwarp was re-released (with three songs re-recorded) as Circle of Dust - Brainchild.  Yes, lyrically identical with Christian overtones.

Disengage is about as "Christian" as Argyle Park, maybe less so.

I don't have it, but interestingly one song from Machines of Our Disgrace has some prodigal son type lyrics and he appears to pray to "Father" at one point.  I'm not saying it's a return to Christian, but it's an interesting song from a spiritual perspective.

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:51 am

So it sounds like only Immortal - Dead and Buried and the first Circle of Dust album were really beyond question Christian releases?
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:43 am

ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 am

Wow, that was far more pathetic than I could have imagined.

I could probably write an entire book dissecting all that. Completely shameful.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

ThomasEversole likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:27 am

I think he was talking about Cornerstone when he said he started refusing the Christian festivals.

He does have a point about some frauds that were masquerading in the scene. It was just showbiz for some. I think the authentic people like Steve Rowe are in the minority.

Some probably thought they could be a (big fish in a small pond) rather than compete in the secular market and never get noticed.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ThomasEversole Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:18 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:I could probably write an entire book dissecting all that.  Completely shameful.

I don't know why he couldn't have just said one of the following:

-yes I'm a Christian, yes this is a Christian band
-yes I'm a Christian, no this is not a Christian band
-no I'm not a Christian, yes this is a Christian band
-no I'm not a Christian, no this is not a Christian band

Next question.

...instead of just wiggling around this "agenda" rant that really didn't make sense.  I can only think of two reasons he didn't just "spit it out".  He's deceptive, and wants to have his cake and eat it too (appear Christian to the Christians but appear not Christian to the not Christians)
...or...  
he's a chicken, and too scared to say/commit either way or say he doesn't even know (anymore)?

I don't think I can wrap my head around his point of insincere/hypocritical/in-it-for-the-money Christians.  I mean, a Christian in a Christian band surrounded by other good Christians in Christian bands, they would just be "part of the choir".  

A Christian in a Christian band surrounded by hypocrites, well... it could be an opportunity to show those folks what's right.  He clearly didn't seize that opportunity.  If it was a toxic environment because of said hypocrisy, I could understand leaving, but he didn't say that.  

I'd like to answer one of his points myself.  If The Satan Records asked to sign Orationem before Vision of God Records did, I'd be on The Satan Records.  Hey - they need Jesus too, and if they've designated me to tell them about Jesus, well, I'd be happy to do it.

His big-money-making-Christian-shows vs modest-money-playing-in-bars-shows point makes virtually no sense.  He could absolutely make more money playing big secular shows, and there are bigger big secular venues than there are big Christian venues.

A side note, for myself being an underground artist that doesn't tour - my choice with returning to making Christian metal after 5 albums of making secular metal - had a lot to do with piracy.  Its not a money thing, its an honesty thing.

My experience with both sides of that aisle: there were fans, critics and a silent majority for both.  Christian fans who loved it would either just stream or listen to free, buy downloads or download and donate, or buy a CD.  Secular fans who loved it would just nab it from some torrent or file sharing site.  That's mostly it; which of course made the setting up of downloads and physical copies a mostly pointless endeavor.
ThomasEversole
ThomasEversole
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, TZ75 and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:30 pm

Looks like he's been laying off the weights.
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by stevegarveyfan Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:25 pm

Immortal undeniably had Christian lyrics, as well as the previous band Justified Rebellion.  However, it seems that everything following was ambiguous at best.
stevegarveyfan
stevegarveyfan
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:26 am

ThomasEversole wrote:
His big-money-making-Christian-shows vs modest-money-playing-in-bars-shows point makes virtually no sense.  He could absolutely make more money playing big secular shows, and there are bigger big secular venues than there are big Christian venues.

I saw CoD in one of those crappy bars with 50 people, in the late 90s.  They couldn't book larger shows because they were nobodies outside the Christian scene.  It's a common phenomenon of many Christian bands in the 90s who tried to leave the Christian scene and make it on their musical merits alone, and found they had to start over from scratch.  It wasn't until the early 2000s with metalcore that many Christian bands were able to achieve mainstream success and play larger venues.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by strangerhoncho Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:40 am

ThomasEversole wrote:
...instead of just wiggling around this "agenda" rant that really didn't make sense.  I can only think of two reasons he didn't just "spit it out".  He's deceptive, and wants to have his cake and eat it too (appear Christian to the Christians but appear not Christian to the not Christians)
...or...  
he's a chicken, and too scared to say/commit either way or say he doesn't even know (anymore)?
I think he's just a sensitive artist, and that personality type hates being labeled or fitting into a box more than anything.  Such artists revise history and are intentionally vague and contradictory just to create a smokescreen that makes them feel more unique and authentic.  I don't think it's exactly deceptive or cowardly, but it's certainly annoying for those of us with more categorical, binary minds.  But it's rampant among artists of all kinds, and not just in the Christian scene.  I love music and art more than anything on this earth, but pretty much every encounter or friendship I've had with someone who identifies as an "artist" eventually leaves me disgusted or frustrated by their delusions, evasiveness, and self-indulgence.

strangerhoncho
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

mothy and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down