The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heaviest/Grittiest Christian Power Metal Releases

+8
Son of Nun
Kerrick
TZ75
Temple of Blood
mothy
Frozen Fire
Pethead
average joe
12 posters

Go down

Heaviest/Grittiest Christian Power Metal Releases Empty Heaviest/Grittiest Christian Power Metal Releases

Post by average joe Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:55 pm

Not looking for a list of “happy metal” releases here where keyboards overpower or hinder the other instruments and gritty/dynamic vocals:

Teramaze Doxology
Oracle Desolate Kings 
Antithesis Dying for Life

Last edited by average joe on Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

Heaviest/Grittiest Christian Power Metal Releases Empty Re: Heaviest/Grittiest Christian Power Metal Releases

Post by Pethead Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:30 pm

The vocals aren’t really harsh, but Sardonyx’s Majestic Serenity has a cool, dark, foreboding, heavy, and proggy sound.
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Opeth3232 and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Heaviest/Grittiest Christian Power Metal Releases Empty Re: Heaviest/Grittiest Christian Power Metal Releases

Post by average joe Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:36 pm

By the way, how are Into Eternity’s lyrics for anyone that has had a chance to evaluate?

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Frozen Fire Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:51 am

average joe wrote:By the way, how are Into Eternity’s lyrics for anyone that has had a chance to evaluate?
Anti-Christian

I had Dead or Dreaming and Buried Into Oblivion and both focused on despair and anger. D or D had some anti-Christian lyrics.
Frozen Fire
Frozen Fire
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.center-cob.org

Temple of Blood likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:40 am

Chaz Bond era Jacobs Dream
EchoSoul
Seventh Servant
Atkins May Project ( I understand to be Christian friendly)
Orphyn
The Great Gamble
Angel 7
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:52 am

I don't think Believer - Dimensions is really all that progressive. It kindof is, but not really compared to Extol - Synergy or anything like that.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

http://www.templeofblood.net

Opeth3232 and mothy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mothy Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:01 am

mothy wrote:Chaz Bond era Jacobs Dream
EchoSoul
Seventh Servant
Atkins May Project ( I understand to be Christian friendly)
Orphyn
The Great Gamble
Angel 7
I forgot about Synergy andeven Blueprint Dives
mothy
mothy
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:21 am

I think Tourniquet’s Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance album fits the bill. Lots of weird twists and turns. It’s heavy and gritty too. The only difference is the vocals are not “operatic” like most power/prog bands.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Temple of Blood, Pethead and Opeth3232 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:52 am

Kreyson's latest comes to mind:

I don't know if epic doom fits what you're looking for, but Nomad Son has some pretty gritty stuff that some categorize as "power doom."

Maybe some of Rob Rock's stuff like Fires Of Babylon?

That's all I can think of at the moment!

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:14 pm

Usually gritty vocals and progressive metal don't go that often together, unless you're talking about death metal or metalcore vocals.
Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:30 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:Usually gritty vocals and progressive metal don't go that often together, unless you're talking about death metal or metalcore vocals.

Although they are not Christian, Opeth seem to be one of the few heavy/gritty bands that could be considered progressive.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Opeth3232 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Temple of Blood Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:38 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:Usually gritty vocals and progressive metal don't go that often together, unless you're talking about death metal or metalcore vocals.

Although they are not Christian, Opeth seem to be one of the few heavy/gritty bands that could be considered progressive.

I think what above average Joe wants is gritty SIINGING, not super soft clean singing plus death growls.

Temple of Blood
Temple of Blood
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Kerrick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:46 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

I think what above average Joe wants is gritty SIINGING, not super soft clean singing plus death growls.

To be honest, it’s a confusing post. The actual question wasn’t very clear IMO.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:26 pm

Made it more specific to power metal.

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by average joe Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:41 pm

Kerrick - Nomad Son has my attention! Kreyson in another language?

average joe
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerrick Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:57 am

average joe wrote:Kerrick - Nomad Son has my attention! Kreyson in another language?

Nomad Son is awesome!  One of my favorites.  Smile  I'm glad you dig 'em too.  They are primarily a "doom" band though so most of their stuff is a bit slower than the song I posted, but they're not afraid to speed it up too (obviously).

Yup, Kreyson sings in Czech.  The song I posted is from their most recent and heaviest album.  However, their first two albums were also released in English.  I only have the Czech versions, but they're excellent albums.  You can find the English ones for pretty cheap too since they were re-released by Ulterium Records not too long ago.  They also released a compilation called 20 Years Of Kreyson which is a selection of old songs re-recorded in English too (and are different than what's on the two albums I mentioned).

Tyrant
Tyrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:02 pm

Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Opeth3232 Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:07 pm

TZ75 wrote:

Love me some Opeth
Opeth3232
Opeth3232
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by Son of Nun Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:31 pm

Opeth3232 wrote:
TZ75 wrote:

Love me some Opeth
Never would have guessed.
Son of Nun
Son of Nun
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Kerrick, Andreas89 and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier777 Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:53 am

SAINT Time's End comes to mind with songs like Time's End and Steel Killer.
Soldier777
Soldier777
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Andreas89 Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:16 am

I'd add several songs from the Northern Flame debut to the list. Of course they apply keyboards but in combination with the guitar sound, on the instrumental side of things they sound more like those typical gloomy Finnish melodic black/death bands. The vocals are lower than usual power metal so yeah... oh well, here's an example.

Andreas89
Andreas89
Resident Power Metal Aficionado

Black Rider and Fundy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:48 pm

Rob Rock's stuff comes to mind.
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

Black Rider, Kerrick and Pethead like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down