The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

King's x

+5
BaleMaster
Black Rider
Constantine
Pethead
Dustofyears
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

King's x Empty King's x

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:09 pm

What's your favorite song from king's x.

and

What album is your fav.

and

Where did you first hear about this band and what got you into them.

Love to hear all about it.

Go!
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead likes this post

Back to top Go down

King's x Empty Re: King's x

Post by Pethead Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:18 pm

Song: Fall on Me

Album: Gretchen Goes to Nebraska (Out of the Silent Planet is a very close second)

Story: I had heard about them from various places online and finally decided to snag an album. I chose Faith Hope Love. However, aside from a few tracks I did not care for it. At all. Fast forward a while and I keep wondering, “What am I missing here?” So, I decided to sample Gretchen. It blew me away. I had to have it. After spinning it a bunch of times I went back and found I liked Faith Hope Love much more than I did originally, even though it’s not my favorite from them. I got Out of the Silent Planet and Dogman next and loved them both.

Great band!
Pethead
Pethead
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

http://curtisjdupree.blogspot.com

Constantine, BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:29 pm

I am not sure I could pick one favorite song from King's X.
I could maybe give a top 5 (no order):

- Dogman
- The World Around Me
- Flies & Blue Skies
- Pretend
- Over My Head

Favorite album would be Dogman.

I first heard about the band in 1988.  A friend came and stayed with me for a few days.  He wanted to go to some record stores to look for this album by a band called King's X.  I had no idea who they were.  He found the album ("Out Of The Silent Planet") which had just come out.  We didn't play it so I never got to hear what they sounded like.

A few months later, I was listening to a friend's radio show.   He played a few songs from that first album.  
I remember hearing "King" and "What Is This" and I was just floored.  I thought, wow, this is incredible stuff, so soulful.

Eventually I got to see them, first in 1991.  Saigon Kick was supposed to open but I think they cancelled.  
Then a few years later with Galactic Cowboys.  Both shows were great but that 1st one was one of the best shows I have ever seen.
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Pethead, Ammocas, BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:35 pm

Pethead wrote:Song: Fall on Me

Album: Gretchen Goes to Nebraska (Out of the Silent Planet is a very close second)

Story: I had heard about them from various places online and finally decided to snag an album. I chose Faith Hope Love. However, aside from a few tracks I did not care for it. At all. Fast forward a while and I keep wondering, “What am I missing here?” So, I decided to sample Gretchen. It blew me away. I had to have it. After spinning it a bunch of times I went back and found I liked Faith Hope Love much more than I did originally, even though it’s not my favorite from them. I got Out of the Silent Planet and Dogman next and loved them both.

Great band!
I love the Fall on me.  The lead is quirky and the interlude is straight up cosmic and trippy.  I love Faith Hope Love, heck those four albums (for me at least) are perfection.  Thanks for sharing Pethead.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Pethead and BaleMaster like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:41 pm

Constantine wrote:I am not sure I could pick one favorite song from King's X.
I could maybe give a top 5 (no order):

- Dogman
- The World Around Me
- Flies & Blue Skies
- Pretend
- Over My Head

Favorite album would be Dogman.

I first heard about the band in 1988.  A friend came and stayed with me for a few days.  He wanted to go to some record stores to look for this album by a band called King's X.  I had no idea who they were.  He found the album ("Out Of The Silent Planet") which had just come out.  We didn't play it so I never got to hear what they sounded like.

A few months later, I was listening to a friend's radio show.   He played a few songs from that first album.  
I remember hearing "King" and "What Is This" and I was just floored.  I thought, wow, this is incredible stuff, so soulful.

Eventually I got to see them, first in 1991.  Saigon Kick was supposed to open but I think they cancelled.  
Then a few years later with Galactic Cowboys.  Both shows were great but that 1st one was one of the best shows I have ever seen.
So you were there well before me.  I wonder what it must have been like to hear them at that time.  I'm pretty sure world around me was the first song I heard from them, or it might have been Junior's gone wild (a super underrated song) 
Now! Dogman, that album, I listened to that in my car at quite a high volume and suddenly it hit me that if you were to strip it back, what you're left with is a blues album full of soul.  it hit me where I lived that day.
Thanks for sharing Constantine.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:45 pm

Gretchen is my favorite hands down but I like a lot of their albums. Not Just For the Dead is probably my favorite song but Over My Head and Pleiades vie for that spot. I found them when I saw their first album in a used music store and thought the artwork was cool and was intrigued by the C.S. Lewis reference so I took a listen and was blown away which was in 88 if I remember correctly.
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

Pethead, Constantine, BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:39 pm

The guitar solo in Pleiades can melt through solid steel.   Cool

Last year, I bought the first four albums on vinyl.  Oh man.  You can really pick up Doug's bass.  Plus I got their tees, and ended up talking to one of my doctors about them, and the fact that he caught them either in Springfield, MO or in concert.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, Constantine and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:50 pm

Favorite song: Over My Head (love the riff)

Favorite album: Faith Hope Love 
followed by Tape Head and Ear Candy. 

I first heard of them from a Christian publication around 1990. Then I remember seeing them on MTV Headbanger’s Ball.

Fun fact: Pantera were big fans.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Pethead, Dustofyears and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:10 pm

Why is this in the Christian section? King's X is not a Christian band. They go out of their way to let people know it.

Trouble isn't either. Or Galactic Cowboys. Or Impellitteri. 

Not trying to be a jerk. I'm a big fan of all the bands I mentioned. They're just not Christian bands.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, TZ75 and Constantine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:27 am

Lighten up, Francis.  The first four albums had Christian content.
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Louder, TZ75 and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:13 am

BaleMaster wrote:Lighten up, Francis.  The first four albums had Christian content.

I'm quite aware of that, Pee-Wee.  Thumbs up

Cage and Steel Prophet also have Christian-themed content/material. Doesn't mean they're "Christian bands". 

Anyway it's not a huge deal. Not trying to start an argument. I've just never personally viewed King's X, as awesome as they are, as a Christian band.

Anyway to answer the questions:

Favorite song: Talk To You

Favorite album: Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous

How I heard about them: This was around '92 or so. I was actually introduced to Galactic Cowboys first. A friend at school saw me with the debut GC CD and he said "if you like Galactic Cowboys, you'll probably like King's X." So I went and bought the self-titled King's X album. Liked it quite a bit. I've always preferred Galactic Cowboys though, since they're a little heavier.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Ammocas and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BaleMaster Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:49 am

If it's "not such a huge deal,"  why did you complain in the first place?  The last I checked, you're not a mod. If they wish to move it, that's their call.  Rolling Eyes

Last edited by BaleMaster on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
BaleMaster
BaleMaster
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:50 am

BaleMaster wrote:If it's "not such a huge deal," Mr. Passive-Aggressive, why did you complain in the first place?  The last I checked, you're not a mod...just a bossy, insecure sort who whines on a message board.

Hey man, calm down.

I take it you didn't get the "Pee-Wee" reference? The movie? You called me Francis...

Anyway how exactly am I bossy and insecure? Whining? Where did that come from?

I'm not allowed to ask questions?

I'm not trying to troll anyone if that's what you're thinking.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Rider Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:36 am

Let it go......
Black Rider
Black Rider
Sacred Metal Prophet
Sacred Metal Prophet

BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:54 am

Black Rider wrote:Let it go......

That’s a Galactic Cowboys album. lol!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider, Superjuice, BaleMaster, Dustofyears and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ammocas Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:27 pm

Favorite King’s X song: it’s impossible for me to have one favorite song...so I’ll list a few: 
A Box
The World Around Me
Groove Machine
Moanjam
King
Visions
Pretend
............Sorry, it’s just hard to pick one!

Favorite album: King’s X s/t. Dogman is a close second...only because I discovered King’s X on their s/t album. 2 phenomenal albums.

How I first heard of them: Sometime around 1991 my friend Mike told me about them since I really liked Galactic Cowboys. We saw them in concert with the GC in New Jersey during the Tape Head tour which was around ‘98 or ‘99...probably one of the best live shows I have ever been to.

I gotta say though, I think their first 7 albums are great and their last 2 (Ogre Tones and XV) are good with the albums in between being ok(although all albums have some standout songs on each of them).
Ammocas
Ammocas
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Constantine, BaleMaster and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:48 pm

Black Rider wrote:Gretchen is my favorite hands down but I like a lot of their albums. Not Just For the Dead is probably my favorite song but Over My Head and Pleiades vie for that spot. I found them when I saw their first album in a used music store and thought the artwork was cool and was intrigued by the C.S. Lewis reference so I took a listen and was blown away which was in 88 if I remember correctly.
Ah, Not just for the dead, yep, fantastic tune.  That tripped out across the universe and within withtout you Beatles vibe but with that heavy eastern refrain running through it, magic!  I like dog barking and the swrling sounds too.  Also, if you haven't yet, checkout the live version from 1992, the guitar solo at the end takes you to another planet. And double also, this song from an album so underrated I gotta say.  I can't understand why it isn't as recognized as Gretchen (IMO).  The C.S. Lewis reference is cool too, I think that was Jerry's making, and actually, Jerry's story about Gretchen ain't too bad.  Cheers for sharing, Black Rider.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Black Rider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:53 pm

BaleMaster wrote:The guitar solo in Pleiades can melt through solid steel.   Cool

Last year, I bought the first four albums on vinyl.  Oh man.  You can really pick up Doug's bass.  Plus I got their tees, and ended up talking to one of my doctors about them, and the fact that he caught them either in Springfield, MO or in concert.
Not gonna lie, slightly jealous.  I'd love the T shirts, particularly the old ones and to own them vinyl (not that I have a record player, just the idea of owning them like that and to have those covers that size) would be magic!  One day perhaps. Oh, by the way, I have never heard a guitar solo on pleiades or though I know originally it was recorded with one.  I must track that version down, I hear it's a burner.

Last edited by Dustofyears on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:03 pm

TZ75 wrote:Favorite song: Over My Head (love the riff)

I first heard of them from a Christian publication around 1990. Then I remember seeing them on MTV Headbanger’s Ball.

Over my head!  I feel like I'm in a black church when I hear that tune.  Back in the day they did a gig in Seattle, 1988 I think, and there were members from Soundgarden mother love bone (Half of Pearl jam to be) and Alice 'N' chains (as they were known back then rather than Alice in chains) and Jerry heard someone running up behind him and it was Layne Stayley, all enthusiastic telling him he thought they were a great band.  Yep they hung out with Pantera back stage and I think Dug has a recording somewhere of him and Dime (R.I.P) jamming together.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:10 pm

MagnusPrime wrote:
BaleMaster wrote:Lighten up, Francis.  The first four albums had Christian content.

I'm quite aware of that, Pee-Wee.  Thumbs up

Cage and Steel Prophet also have Christian-themed content/material. Doesn't mean they're "Christian bands". 

Anyway it's not a huge deal. Not trying to start an argument. I've just never personally viewed King's X, as awesome as they are, as a Christian band.

Anyway to answer the questions:

Favorite song: Talk To You

Favorite album: Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous

How I heard about them: This was around '92 or so. I was actually introduced to Galactic Cowboys first. A friend at school saw me with the debut GC CD and he said "if you like Galactic Cowboys, you'll probably like King's X." So I went and bought the self-titled King's X album. Liked it quite a bit. I've always preferred Galactic Cowboys though, since they're a little heavier.
Talk to you is so strange. I remember my mind being blown when I heard that tune. It's got this kind of Goth vibe melded with a kind of bluesy vibe then this heavy chunky heavy groove and a spastic oddball timing to it.  And the way they enter that lead, how it comes in, Magic!

Mr Bulbous, interesting pick!  great alum also.  After Ear Candy I wasn't sure what to expect.  But after Bulbous anything was up for grabs.  I look forward to this new album that was meant to be released last year.  Apparently they've gone back to adding other instrumentation like the old albums.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

MagnusPrime likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:16 pm

Ammocas wrote:Favorite King’s X song: it’s impossible for me to have one favorite song...so I’ll list a few: 
A Box
The World Around Me
Groove Machine
Moanjam
King
Visions
Pretend
............Sorry, it’s just hard to pick one!

Favorite album: King’s X s/t. Dogman is a close second...only because I discovered King’s X on their s/t album. 2 phenomenal albums.

How I first heard of them: Sometime around 1991 my friend Mike told me about them since I really liked Galactic Cowboys. We saw them in concert with the GC in New Jersey during the Tape Head tour which was around ‘98 or ‘99...probably one of the best live shows I have ever been to.

I gotta say though, I think their first 7 albums are great and their last 2 (Ogre Tones and XV) are good with the albums in between being ok(although all albums have some standout songs on each of them).
King's x S/t was my first introduction to the band too.  It remains a sentimental album for that reason, and probably my fav.  I agree, it is too hard to pick a favourite tune, that's why I copped out. I agrre with you abouta few of their later albums or inbetweeners, they sound kind of hashed out in comparison to the earlier albums. I think Sam Taylor had a lot to do with that.  I get the impression he was like what George Martian was to the Beatles.  He is also a concert pianist I believe.  Thanks for sharing.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

BaleMaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:24 am

Dustofyears wrote:

Over my head!  I feel like I'm in a black church when I hear that tune.  Back in the day they did a gig in Seattle, 1988 I think, and there were members from Soundgarden mother love bone (Half of Pearl jam to be) and Alice 'N' chains (as they were known back then rather than Alice in chains) and Jerry heard someone running up behind him and it was Layne Stayley, all enthusiastic telling him he thought they were a great band.  Yep they hung out with Pantera back stage and I think Dug has a recording somewhere of him and Dime (R.I.P) jamming together.

Dime was actually a big fan of their music. I heard that Ty’s clean guitar sound and style influenced the intro to Cemetery Gates.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:40 pm

TZ75 wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:

Dime was actually a big fan of their music. I heard that Ty’s clean guitar sound and style influenced the intro to Cemetery Gates.
Yeah, he liked The Gretch album especially.  I did not know that about Cemetery Gates.  Thanks for sharing that, I like to learn new stuff I don't know about the band.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JPDetroit Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:29 pm

Wrong Francis.

"Lighten up Francis" was Stripes, not Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

JPDetroit
mallcore n00b
mallcore n00b

BaleMaster and MagnusPrime like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MagnusPrime Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:04 am

JPDetroit wrote:Wrong Francis.

"Lighten up Francis" was Stripes, not Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Oh ok. I guess that explains things a little. I totally missed the reference.  face palm

Haven't seen Stripes in years! I really miss the 80s.
MagnusPrime
MagnusPrime
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next