The Christian Metal Realm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grunge

+16
Drawnsword
Guenther321
Black Rider
stevegarveyfan
FivePointPunk
strangerhoncho
Superjuice
alldatndensum
Tombie
Christian metal Horde
eatbugs
Constantine
Contrarian Deist
TZ75
outofstep
Dustofyears
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Grunge Empty Grunge

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:39 pm

I love Nirvana, Sound garden Stone temple pilots and Alice in chains.  There was a band, a christian band, called 'something' train I think, but can't remember the something part.  They were a christian grunge band. What other bands in the christian music scene during the 90's were grunge...
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Grunge Empty Re: Grunge

Post by outofstep Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:50 pm

Grammatrain?  Maybe that's who you were thinking of?  While not really grunge in the purist sense, more of a Janes Addiction influence, I always thought Dighayzoose was really good!
outofstep
outofstep
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Dustofyears and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:13 pm

outofstep wrote:Grammatrain?  Maybe that's who you were thinking of?  While not really grunge in the purist sense, more of a Janes Addiction influence, I always thought Dighayzoose was really good!
Yes! That's it, Grammatrain. Thank you.  Dighayzoose were fantastic.  Both Strugglefish and magentamantalovetree are really good albums.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:27 pm

I’ve always liked AIC, but I also never considered them grunge. To me, they are basically Metal. Similar to Black Sabbath. 

We Die Young and Them Bones are Metal songs!
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Dustofyears likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:33 pm

They were the 'grunge band' that was okay for metal heads to like back then.  They certainly had metal in their veins, but they had that sludge factor, like the early melvins and Nirvana Bleach vibe meets guns n roses or something. Awesome band anyway.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

TZ75 and StevenCressler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:33 pm

The best Christian album with a “grunge flavor” was Applehead by Greg Minier.

I could hear his Danzig and AIC influence.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:39 pm

Grunge was a record label gimmick for the bands coming from Seattle at the time. If grunge is based on the heavy sludge of bands like the Melvins and such... how do you you explain Pearl Jam? They were more classic rock driven like Neil Young, Cream and Hendrix.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:52 pm

According to the book: Nirvana, by Carrie Borzillo, I think that was the book, I have read a few-- it was Everett True, a journalist for Melody maker that coined the term.  As for pearl Jam... They had some cool tunes, too.  I would call them straight up 90's rock with a flannel shirt. Alice in chains had that sludge factor, not saying it was inspired by Melvins etc, just saying they had it, which is why they possibly could have been nicked as a grunge band.  Who knows.  great band either way.
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:01 pm

Some Christian grunge band should release an album or song called *smells like holy spirit*, hehe he
😆

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

bigtreads and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Contrarian Deist Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:02 pm

Sorry, couldn't resist

Contrarian Deist
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:25 pm

Here are some recommendations:

Forevertree - Turning

Yonderboy - Mission Of Mercy

Guardian - Buzz, Bottle Rocket

Randy Rose - Sacrificium

King James - The Fall

Johnny Q. Public - Extra Ordinary

Sometime Sunday - Stone, Drain

Leaderdogs For The Blind - Lemonade

DeGarmo & Key - To Extremes

GS Megaphone - Out Of My Mind

Everdown - Sicken

Wish For Eden - Pet The Fish

Strongarm - Atonement

Stavesacre - Friction

Plankeye - Spill

Skypark - Am I Pretty

Holy Soldier - Promise Man

Skillet - S/T, Collide

Third Day - Conspiracy #5

Precious Death - If You Must

Last edited by Constantine on Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

deathisgain and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by outofstep Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:36 pm

Dustofyears wrote:According to the book: Nirvana, by Carrie Borzillo, I think that was the book, I have read a few-- it was Everett True, a journalist for Melody maker that coined the term.  As for pearl Jam... They had some cool tunes, too.  I would call them straight up 90's rock with a flannel shirt. Alice in chains had that sludge factor, not saying it was inspired by Melvins etc, just saying they had it, which is why they possibly could have been nicked as a grunge band.  Who knows.  great band either way.
I think you're absolutely correct in saying the Melvins had an influence on the Alice in Chains. I completely agree that bands like Alice in Chains and the early Soundgarden albums were massively influence by metal as well, in all honesty if Alice in Chains was from Boston they probably wouldn't have been lumped in with grunge.  Pearl Jam is much more 90's rock to me, just like you and others said, but they formed from the ashes of Green River, much more true to the classic "seattle sound". Much better than Pearl Jam too, but I've kind of always hated that band for reasons unknown.
outofstep
outofstep
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:47 am

It’s well known that Nirvana was influenced by the Melvins. Probably much more than AIC. 

Buzz Osborne had said countless times how Kurt would follow them around.

Last edited by TZ75 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by eatbugs Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:59 am

I'm glad Constantine brought up Skillet's first album.  It sounds like a "Christian Nirvana" wanna-be (although it's pretty good).

eatbugs
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Christian metal Horde and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Christian metal Horde Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:54 am

eatbugs wrote:I'm glad Constantine brought up Skillet's first album.  It sounds like a "Christian Nirvana" wanna-be (although it's pretty good).

Never knew this honestly.
I like some good grunge and i will listen to this album in this days
Christian metal Horde
Christian metal Horde
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

https://www.instagram.com/christianmetalhorde?igsh=ZHl5ZzlqazUxa

Back to top Go down

Post by Tombie Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:34 am

Members from both the Melvins and Nirvana are originally from Aberdeen, Washington... my hometown. In fact, I went to school with Chris and Kurt from Nirvana and Dale from the Melvins. They were all friends and Dale Crover actually played drums for Nirvana at one time... Just a little useless knowledge lol.
Tombie
Tombie
Metal Warrior
Metal Warrior

http://www.deadtoselfradio.com

Staybrite, TZ75 and Dustofyears like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:57 am

outofstep wrote:
Dustofyears wrote:According to the book: Nirvana, by Carrie Borzillo, I think that was the book, I have read a few-- it was Everett True, a journalist for Melody maker that coined the term.  As for pearl Jam... They had some cool tunes, too.  I would call them straight up 90's rock with a flannel shirt. Alice in chains had that sludge factor, not saying it was inspired by Melvins etc, just saying they had it, which is why they possibly could have been nicked as a grunge band.  Who knows.  great band either way.
I think you're absolutely correct in saying the Melvins had an influence on the Alice in Chains. I completely agree that bands like Alice in Chains and the early Soundgarden albums were massively influence by metal as well, in all honesty if Alice in Chains was from Boston they probably wouldn't have been lumped in with grunge.  Pearl Jam is much more 90's rock to me, just like you and others said, but they formed from the ashes of Green River, much more true to the classic "seattle sound". Much better than Pearl Jam too, but I've kind of always hated that band for reasons unknown.

You’re forgetting the whole Mother Love Bone period between Green River and Pearl Jam.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by outofstep Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:04 am

TZ75 wrote:
outofstep wrote:

You’re forgetting the whole Mother Love Bone period between Green River and Pearl Jam.
good point, a sort of stepping stone between the primitive grunge of green river and the much more polished radio friendly sound Pearl Jam would embrace
outofstep
outofstep
Seasoned Guardian
Seasoned Guardian

Back to top Go down

Post by TZ75 Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:13 am

outofstep wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
outofstep wrote:

good point, a sort of stepping stone between the primitive grunge of green river and the much more polished radio friendly sound Pearl Jam would embrace
 Except MLB was actually good. I like the first PJ album a bit, but MLB was better IMO.
TZ75
TZ75
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:49 am

Stone Temple Pilots are my favorites from that era. They got lumped in with the Seattle scene, even though they were from California. With the possible exception of their debut, Core, I don't consider them grunge at all. They're more-or-less a classic/hard rock band. Kind of a blend of Led Zeppelin and The Doors most of the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:50 am

TZ75 wrote:
outofstep wrote:
TZ75 wrote:
outofstep wrote:

Except MLB was actually good. I like the first PJ album a bit, but MLB was better IMO.

What does baseball have to do with grunge?

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by alldatndensum Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:36 pm

Constantine wrote:Here are some recommendations:

Forevertree - Turning
Randy Rose - Sacrificium
King James - The Fall

Everdown - Sicken
Strongarm - Atonement
Stavesacre - Friction
Plankeye - Spill
Skypark - Am I Pretty
Skillet - S/T, Collide

I would also add the bands GS Megaphone and The Prayer Chain.  Since you brought up Plankeye, their first three albums were stellar.
alldatndensum
alldatndensum
Mullet Wig King

http://www.christianhardmusic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Superjuice Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:07 pm

(Click on links for a song from each album)

TragedyAnn - One Nation Under God, Lesser
Blackball - Super Heavy Dreamscape
Eternal Decision - Ghost In the Machine
Kidd Robin - s/t
Bone Prophet - Bone Prophet
Machina - To Live and Die In the Garden of Eden
My Cat Puddinghead - For Sale By Owner
Xd Out - Xd Out

Last edited by Superjuice on Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added some bands)
Superjuice
Superjuice
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:07 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Constantine wrote:Here are some recommendations:

Forevertree - Turning
Randy Rose - Sacrificium
King James - The Fall

Everdown - Sicken
Strongarm - Atonement
Stavesacre - Friction
Plankeye - Spill
Skypark - Am I Pretty
Skillet - S/T, Collide

I would also add the bands GS Megaphone and The Prayer Chain.  Since you brought up Plankeye, their first three albums were stellar.
GS Megaphone is on the list, bottom of the 1st section.

I didn't include Prayer Chain because after reviewing their songs, they didn't seem to fit the OP's criteria as well as some of the other bands.   His criteria was a sound along the lines of Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots and Alice In Chains.

I would add one more right now though, it has a definite Nirvana vibe:

Nailed - All Washed Up
Constantine
Constantine
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

https://reverb.com/shop/mr-ds-buy-and-trade

Back to top Go down

Post by Dustofyears Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:16 pm

outofstep wrote:
Yeah I have to agree, or otherwise called the Sub-pop sound. And mother love bone too. it was all kind of metal with a pop-rock Beatles melody sensibility over the top of it, and a kind of, re-birthed ugly child of the psychedelic age (Pumpkins)-- though I reckon Pumpkins were more space rock meets goth originally-- Oh dear...  Anyway, it was a cool scene because (imitators aside) all the bands that stood out had their own distinct and unique vibe and sound-- it was cool period for rock and metal!

Last edited by Dustofyears on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dustofyears
Dustofyears
Holy Unblack Knight
Holy Unblack Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next